Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Famous Drummers you've met (or want to meet)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Famous Drummers you've met (or want to meet)

I got this idea after reading that Boose44 had met Alan White and Bill Bruford. Just wondering which famous drummers us regular folk have had the pleasure (or even displeasure) of meeting and what comments you might want to make concerning them, as well as wondering who comes out on top of the wish-to-meet-list. I've met (actually spoken to and/or shook the hand of) Will Calhoun, Ed Shaugnessey, Larry Londin, Anton Figg, Tony Williams and Joe Morrello. With, IMHO, the exception of Figg and Williams (no flames, please, they just were not nice to anyone), all great guys (especially Larry Londin, may he rest in rythmic peace). I always wanted to meet Bill Bruford, John Bonham (too late), Buddy Rich (too late), Ringo Starr, Steve Smith, Nick Mason and Tommy Aldridge, to name a few.

Who's who's who's who...

I'm not much on name-dropping in general, so I won't go into who I have & haven't met, but one guy just impressed me so damned much with his attitude and enthusiasm that it has really stuck with me: Jim Chapin.

The one I really wish I could've met & never will: Gene Krupa. I'd like to have sat down & talked drums with him for about a month...
    -Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Re: Who's who's who's who...

Originally posted by fartnokker
      The one I really wish I could've met & never will: Gene Krupa. I'd like to have sat down & talked drums with him for about a month...
      Agree'd a hundred times over!

I've been thinking it would be fun to 'jam' with Rick Allen. We could use a pair of sticks between us.

I'm such a loser. Never met any of the drummers that have influenced me (except my dad). I'd love to meet Richie Hayward, Ringo, Chester Thompson and Mr. Collins - to name but a few.
      My website...
      VCustom kit,
      TD8 + Aphex Impulse,
      HDI Cymbals.
      A great site: eDrumming.com

Comment

Re: Re: Who's who's who's who...

Originally posted by Ranman
        I've been thinking it would be fun to 'jam' with Rick Allen. We could use a pair of sticks between us.
        Yeah, but who gets to play the "left" hand parts?

You crack me up, man...
        -Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I'm from Michigan originally and I took lessons at the local drum shop. They had a private seminar for all employees, students, and family with Kenny Aaronoff (best known for his work with John Cougar Mellancamp at the time). He's a great guy who takes a very well thought out approach to his drumming.

We listen to him talk about his drumming philosophy for about 45 minutes mixed with plenty of jamming of course. He ended with a 10 minute solo on his Tama kit.

We then got to hang out with him and have refreshments. I shook his hand and he asked all about my drumming experience (which for a 16 year old wasn't much). I was totally intimidated by the whole thing but he took a genuine interest in what I had to say (which was some drivel about playing in high school marching, symphonic, and jazz bands). He told us that no experience is too small or insignificant to mention. It really put put me at ease and made everyone there feel like we were all on the same playing field at some level.

On a side note: I also met, shook hands with, and hung out with Eddie Van Halen. My sister was having her wedding reception at the same hotel where Van Halen (Van Hagar) was staying during some shows at Pine Knob. My dad and I were in the lobby when unbeknownest to us, the band comes walking through the front doors after the show. It was so surreal. We met them and my dad had the balls to ask them if they would drop by my sister's reception in the next room. They said sure, but after they hit the showers. Only Eddie came down, about 20 minutes later, got some drinks at the bar, hung out there for a while, then came into the reception. It was really late so a lot of people had already left - the rest of us hit the roof! He took some pictures with the newlyweds, signed wedding napkins (that's all we had) for everyone, and just hung out and talked about the show they just did. My napkin is framed and hung on the wall in my house. He seemed like a nice guy. He was REALLY tired, and buzzing bigtime, but hung out for about an hour with us. I watched him down about 4 drinks (something on the rocks) in that hour. It was summer 1993 - before he cut his hair. I was 21 years old and in a tuxedo, it was so cool.
          - andy

Hart Dynamics ZigaPro Kit (6.4 w/ many extras)

Comment

Well, meeting THIS guy was huge for me!

Oh, and I met Alan White, too.... man that was when I was like 45 pounds heavier...what a load!

Dan's Music Site; melodic, ethereal rock and more! Please have a listen :^)

Comment

I go to a lot of clinics, so I'm not sure if that really counts as "meeting". I have a pretty decent autograph collection that includes Tony Verderosa, Kenny Aronoff, Akira Jimbo, Carl Allen, and the prize of my collection... Louie Bellson. I saw him two years ago at the Jazz Showcase in Chicago. Unbelievable. An absolute demon behind the kit. You wouldn't know it from looking at him though. Incredible.

Comment

Dan The BS Man!

Originally posted by Dan the Speakerman
                Well, meeting THIS guy was huge for me!
                But Dan, you never even asked for my autograph! I was so very "put out!"

Damn, I look so serious there, too!

Lemme know when you wanna hook up & do drinks or dinner...
                Last edited by fartnokker; 10-23-02, 12:24 AM.
                -Danny

Comment

Shameless name-dropper

I have had lessons with:

Peter Erskine
                  Jeff Hamilton
                  Zorro
                  Ed Soph
                  Alex Acuna
                  Steve Houghton
                  Dan Tomlinson
                  Steve Houghton

If I won the lottery I would fly to LA regularly for lessons with Peter Erskine.

I had a brief conversation with Terry Bozzio and Patrick O'Hearn when I snuck into a Missing Persons soundcheck when I was 16. Terry Bozzio was really polite and encouraging.

My one real star struck moment (aside from meeting the Seattle v-drummers) was when I got Tony William's autograph after a clinic not long before he passed away. I was totally speechless.

I'd love to get a seat assignment next to Vinnie Colaiuta on a cross country flight (oh I'm sure he would be thrilled about that!).

PS Doesn't Allan White live in Seattle these days?
                  Check out my music: http://www.myspace.com/kellypaletta

Comment

I really would like to meet Ringo....for he's the reason I'm drumming. Than I would like to meet Nick Mason so I can ask why his drumming changed so much. (very good and creative on early Floyd to moderate on later albums).
                    Further there are some drummers from whom a handshake would be enough; Mike Portnoy, Neil Peart, Simon Phillps.
                    And last.....sadly too late.....Jeffrey Porcaro......
                    DIY!!! www.mosphat.com/drumcas

Comment

I'd love to meet Bozzio, I saw him at a clinic with his 'monster tank' kit and was utterly wowed!

As well as loads of others, i'd realy like to meet Pete Sandoval from Morbid Angel. Although I've progressed quite a way from the old death metal days of years ago, he never failed to astound me with the sheer speed of playing on the double bass drums and continuous snare sound - it was just like a continuous wall of noise instead of a drum beat! ok, that type of thing may lack in 'feel' but i still want to know how the hell he does it.

A couple of FD-7 hi-hat controllers set to bass drums don't seem to have the same effect! *L*
                      Gear: TD8KV. Tama Superstar http://photobucket.com/albums/d62/Danny_Sticks/
                      Bands: www.myspace.com/njoyband
                      www.myspace.com/station14

Comment

In 1982, I had a great summer (not including nearly starving to death at age 18) in LA. I went there with my best friend to 'temporarily' live in his brother's garage until we could find work (never found anything except temp work in a N. Hollywood crutch factory). His brother had his own band named Mad Anthony (Carl Richards). They had a Steely Dan sound. But Carl would not conform to what the studio execs wanted. That's why you never heard of them. The drummer was none other than Vinnie Colaiuta! I met him just once, though, probably because he was busy doing studio work for other people. They would sometimes play at the Whiskey, but I never saw them in the three months I was there. Vinnie was nice, although my BUDS kinda played a trick on me. They didn't tell me it was Vinnie! Carl introduced him as another name, and I figured it out right before he left. I was so mad at my so-called BUDDIES that I never got to really talk to him about drums. I had sold everything I owned to get to LA and didn't have drums at the time. NOW I HAD LOST MY DIGNITY--OH THE HUMANITY!!
                        Also in the band was a guitarist named Steve Farris. I didn't know who he was. Just some dude to me. He had played with Eddie Money, and went on to form Mister Mister. I still have his picture somewhere from a backyard BBQ in Tarzana. Nice guy.

NEXT TIME I MEET SOMEONE FAMOUS, WILL SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME!!!!!

CLUELESS DOUG
                        :D I just love to play drums!!!:D

Comment

Re: Shameless name-dropper

Originally posted by klp
                          PS Doesn't Allan White live in Seattle these days?

Yes, he lives on the Eastside with his long-time wife, Gigi. He loves it here, and he said he even sold his home in England because he so rarely goes back. He's a very nice, humble, down to Earth guy...very easy to talk to.

Danny, sure that would be fun! Heck you and KLP ought to just come on over to Maple Valley (the fall colors on the way here would be worth your drive alone!) some Saturday soon for the day and we can jam in my little den studio, and we could chow down at local restaurant here called Gloria's that's two miles from my house (if Jason were here, he would attest to it's quality....GOOD stuff!).
                          Last edited by Dan the Speakerman; 10-23-02, 09:16 AM.
                          Dan's Music Site; melodic, ethereal rock and more! Please have a listen :^)

Comment

Neil, Neil! I love you!!!

Originally posted by Rythmstik
                            I got this idea after reading that Boose44 had met Alan White and Bill Bruford. Just wondering which famous drummers us regular folk have had the pleasure (or even displeasure) of meeting and what comments you might want to make concerning them, as well as wondering who comes out on top of the wish-to-meet-list.

Like far, far too many people apparently, I've *always* wanted to meet Neil Peart. To be honest, Neil Peart would probably be the one famous person, in any field of endeavor, who would have me completely, utterly, babblingly, shamelessly, slobberingly star-struck. The President? Yawn. The Pope? That's nice. Neil Peart? I assure you, I would fall to the ground and do the Wayne's World "we're not worthy!" routine without a second of hesitation.

I kind of hope I never do meet him, because I'd really rather spare myself that sort of embarrassment

In his book Ghost Rider, he talks a great deal about his time in Vancouver (where I live) and his travels to out of the way places in Canada and the US (many of which I've also been to). I'm embarrassed to admit it, but when I pass a place in Vancouver he says he's been to, I think "wow... he was right HERE, man!" I know, that's pathetic

My admiration is due to Peart's inspiring drumming (which still brings me profound joy after all these years...I'm trying for note-for-note mastery of some Rush tunes with my new e's right now!), as well as a certain commonality of interests that I have with him (reading, writing, French, travel, cycling, a humanistic and rational worldview). In my opinion he makes noble use of his success. If I were a successful musician, I'd like to think I'd be a little bit like him.

That being said, apparently Peart gets a lot of fawning from fans and it gets on his nerves. (He needs to take "Rock Star lessons"!) It would probably get on my nerves too after a while. Note to self: if I ever meet Peart, I musn't grovel!

Darren

Comment

Originally posted by Caspar

And last.....sadly too late.....Jeffrey Porcaro......
                              When I was still in radio back in the 80's, our station brought Toto to town. I think the opening band was the Hooters (remember them?). We had a group of about 15 listeners who won passes to go back stage after the show and meet the band. I had a chance to spend a few minutes with Jeff. Very quiet and a nice guy! He answered my questions about his kit and his shuffle groove on Rosanna. He was definitely 'the groovemeister"!
                              Boom Theory Spacemuffins
                              TD6
                              HDI Cymbals

Comment

Working...
                              X