Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to the Electric drums, need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the Electric drums, need help!

Hey everyone,

I'll tell you my story. I was at a local music shop loooking at a few kits. I was almost ready to purchase a yamaha oak custom when i saw a roland electric drum kit (huge). I played it for a few minutes and i was hooked. Of course i feel that $7000 was a little pricey for me, i'm in Canada eh. I've heard a lot about them, elctric drums in general, like there no good live, they'll hurt your neck and back, and people won't think your a "real" drummer. These are all turnoffs. I'm still sure i want to get a kit. Although i'm not sure what would be the best for me. $3000 canadian is the most i can spend. I love the mesh heads of the v-drums. not crazy about the all rubber pads. Can anyone help me out, with prices and companies. All info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !

Why do you want a set? If it's for mainly practicing at home and you can't have a loud drumset; or for playing in a studio; then Roland electronic drums are great.

It took a while for me to get used to the limitations and benefits of electronic drums. The technique is a little different. It depends a lot on the style of music you play, etc.

I personally like to use electronic drums with real cymbals (hi-hats included). That seems to give me the best sound in a live situation. If electronic drums sound bad anywhere, it's in the cymbals.

I don't think electronic drums present any more physical problems than acoustics do. As long as you have a good throne, you can position the electronic pads just as easily, if not more so, than acoustic drums.

It is true that most "lay people" don't know how good the Roland drums sound and they are prejudiced against electronic drums. The proof will be in the pudding: if you can play good stuff on them, they will suddenly love your drums. If not, it will only reinforce their prejudices.

So again it all comes down to - why do you want a set, and for what purpose? Answering that should answer the question of whether to get electronics or acoustics.

Hope this helps.
    TD-10 (not expanded), PD-120, 2xPD-100, KD-7, snare stand, double-tom stand.

Comment

Edrums in canada

I purchased a Pintech Elite set from a drum store in Toronto about 4 months ago. The set is as good, or maybe better than, the Roland v-drums and cost only $2400 Canadian dollars. All drums are mesh heads using Roland's technology and the cymbals/hihat are rubber pads. I love the set and am very thankful that I didn't buy rubber pads all round. If you live near Toronto, you can try Scarborough music (Brian's drum store). You have to buy the module separately since pintech don't make one. I use the roland td6 without complaints. The entire kit, module, pedal and throne cost $3000 including our 15% contribution to the government.

I am using a stereo for amplification until I can afford a decent keyboard amp ($700). Good luck!

Comment

Tough decision...

I waited for about 4 years before I got my VPros. They were worth the wait to me and the expense was something I could live with (but not at first) when I balanced everything out to the use I was going to get out of them.

I had some other pads before them and upgraded (selling your old kit here in NS is near impossible, took me over a year) to the Rolands. I had other electronic setups (Alesis DM5, Yamaha TMX and an old TAMTECH 500) and discovered one simple thing...

If I had bought acoustics they would have spent much of their time in a corner unused (if you saw the layout of my home you would understand why). With the electronic kit I play them nearly everyday at ANY TIME even with my wife and baby sleeping in the very next room . I can pretty much record the drum tracks to a song without disturbing a soul...

The whole electronic drum industry is expensive. I think the Pintech pads are well worth the money also (I have the Concertkit mesh BD pad) so if you are considering alternatives to the Roland route there are options.

Living here in Canada poses certain problems with those options but anything can be overcome right, eh?

There are some cons yes, but they are only in certain applications. Live sounds can be tricky but with patience and some savvy totally obtainable, who cares about the lay person who thinks you are not a real drummer, buy an uninterruptable power supply (UPS) to keep your module safe and get some good amplification (keyboard amp or a 15' self powered speaker)!

Pros, unlimited practise time and the ease of recording in your home or anywhere you choose to go.

Do a search through www.google.com to find out more about what is available out there.

My neck and back are fine but you do have to watch out for the wrists! Those rubber pads can be hard on the wrists if you are not careful.

There are loads of misinformation and bias perpetrated by the lay person or acoustic purist. When a person mentions electronic drums two things come to mind in the general public; 1)drum machine (hence the he's not really playing) and 2) Synthetic analogue sounds (poor live sound and he's not really playing).

Funny, they don't think this way about the electric guitar?

I don't care how it sounds but over the years I have learned that the only person I set out to impress when I play my drums is me, if anyone else happens to enjoy what I am doing all the better!

Good luck...
        Kelly Mercer
        Halifax, Nova Scotia
        Canada

My Youtube Channel!
        http://www.youtube.com/user/VirtualMP3Studio

My "home studio" webcam!
        http://virtualmp3studio.ww.com/

Comment

Working...
        X