Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shot my 12" Mackie last nite...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shot my 12" Mackie last nite...

I made the mistake of "detuning" the bass drum on my TD8 to where I had a huge, phat rumble going on...for about 5 minutes. I was amazed that not only did it blow one of the Peavey stage monitors but also the woofer of my SRM 450. It still works but it "fraps" like crazy. Jeez!
    Anyone else done this?
    TD8, triggered Tempus carbon fibre acoustics. Triggered 13" x 7" Tempus c/f snares. 12" Ddrum snare. Various pads, CY-12, KD-8, way too many pedals. Meinl, Paiste, Sabian cymbals...

At the risk of being flamed, I am of the opinion that 12" speakers (no matter who manufactures them) have no business being used in any kind of a general-purpose monitoring situation. They just don't translate low frequencies very well, and especially not well enough for the low-end lovers that a lot of drummers tend to be........
    TD-30 / SPD-SX /Alesis Strike Multipad

Comment

Add me to the flame list as well. Maybe using a limiter might help, but never the less a 12" woofer should not be pushed or experimented with when it come to the low end.
      Studio

Comment

Well it was my own fault as, like I said, I tuned the BD WAY low & it sounded great thru the 18" front end speakers. But that same signal thru the Peavey and Mackie...well...y'know.
        Anyway, I've been useing the Mackie for over three years in the exact same situation with excellent results. The one thing that changed was tuning the BD way down low...I mean like -200 or thereabouts; as compared to -10 or 0.
        Live & learn...& I stand firmly by my Mackie with it's 12" woofer.
        TD8, triggered Tempus carbon fibre acoustics. Triggered 13" x 7" Tempus c/f snares. 12" Ddrum snare. Various pads, CY-12, KD-8, way too many pedals. Meinl, Paiste, Sabian cymbals...

Comment

The SRM450 has a built-in low frequency filter ("low cut") which probably would have saved the speaker in this case. Of course, with the low cut activated you would eliminate most of the low-end punch (below 80Hz) that you were after in the first place...
          Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

As you no doubt know, I have blown a JBL EON G2 tweeter, and my Mackie SRS-1500 subwoofer twice. Luckily, both are under warranty.

The Mackie came with a 5 year warranty - hopefully your 450 is covered as well?
            Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

I got all excited there for a minute at the idea of a warranty. However, I checked in my manual it states that this kind of damage isn't covered and even if it was my warrantie's expired anyway. Also, I'd have to ship it to the US & be mackie-less for at the very least a month. So...a local guy's going to re-cone it for $100 CDN ...that's about $65 US. It'll be ready to go in two days.
              And I think maybe I'll use that low-freq filter next time

Comment

an option?

Hi drums911

I just bought a zoom effects processor, which has an adjustable compressor/limiter, for $51.00 American on e-bay. I'm using it for vocals (reverb), but something like this may work really well for you to protect your mackie.

The Zoom actually has front panel dials - so you can add effects and adjust settings on the fly in real time. Could be very cool as well as helpful for the e-drums. They seem to come up often on e-bay.
                Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

Working...
                X