Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acoustic vs. Electric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoustic vs. Electric

I just have some things to say, just to get off my chest if you don't mind. And only my fellow drumming colleagues would understand.

There are a lot of reasons why I miss acoustics, albeit a lot of reasons why I like electronic.

THE CYMBALS... (I'm sorry, the dynamics and feel of an acoustic cymbal can never be duplicated and that goes for all cymbals accross the board) I feel that I've been just going with the flow on this and I figured that the more I learn with settings and such that I would get better at tweaking their sounds on the TD-10, but face it, when compared to A-cymbals in a good recording... it's night and day. Also the Hi Hat is EXTREMELY LIMITED. YES, I have TDW-1!

I miss THE LUSTRE of a BEAUTIFUL FINISH on a acoustic DRUM and it's HARDWARE and CYMBALS. (that says enough I believe)

Also, a big thing that I get from people is that they think I play electric drums in order to make my playing sound better. And another big thing is that people might hear me do something and they think that I had it "pre-programmed" or something. My keyboardist was talking to a guy who was listening to our album and the guy commented on my drumming saying that there was no way I could've played "that pattern" simultaneously... Whatever dude! I know it's all ignorance on their part, but it really gets under my skin sometimes, because I'm not getting credit where credit's due.

The fact in the matter here is that I can practice my V's anytime I want. Another plus is that I can record without mics and all MY settings are at the tip of my finger right there. Portablility is another big plus! All the gidgets and gadgets, all the cool sounds to fool around with to add spice to songs... These are the main reasons why I bought my V's.

I guess I'd be completely satisfied now if I had the mind back in early 2001 to put together a hybrid kit with the $6000 that I've invested in my V's. In fact, I believe that will be the next evolution to my setup. Something that I can still practice at home without bothering anyone, and something that I can take on the road that looks GORGEOUS and REAL.

I've been drooling over a TAMA STARCLASSIC MAPLE for the past couple of months and I'm getting the feeling that I might bring one home soon with REAL CYMBALS!

Thanks for listening,

Jason Parsons
    www.catwalkblue.com
    VPRO, TDW-1, V-cymbals, DW 5000 double, Roland KC-500, FS-5U foot switches, Vater sticks

Re: Acoustic vs. Electric

Originally posted by mikeportannoyme
    they think I play electric drums in order to make my playing sound better
    It's true that it's generally easier to get a good sound out of E's. Technique is not as important with E's... all you have to do is trigger the input and the module does the rest. But on the other hand, some people would contend that E's tend to exaggerate your mistakes due to their digital nature. So while it's easier to sound good on E's, it's more difficult to play "perfectly" (for lack of a better word). Take it with a grain of salt of course...
    Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

One more time...

Jason, the things you mention are fairly common, so don't think you're alone in your feelings. Introduce technology into music, and people get suspicious. Hell, I was playing with a cover band in Japan with both guitarists using wireless systems. During one song, both guitarists would go out in the crowd and play among the folks for a bit, then come back onstage for the big finale.

Right after our show one night, we got reprimanded by the club owner, who dictated that everyone would remain on stage & use cables for the guitars. Seems that they got a complaint from some customers that we were lip-synching the entire show, since the guitars weren't even plugged in!

Also, many of us dislike the electronic cymbals - both feel and sound - and use a hybrid kit with electrik drums and akoustik cymbals. Although the monitoring is a bit strange at first, it works well for many of us.

For me, the acoustic drums satisfy something primitive in me that the electronic ones just don't. I can't really articulate it very well, but there is some tactile feedback from acoustic drums that can't very well be replaced by their electronic brethren - at least, for me.

Both are good, both have their place, and I'll continue to use both. I say don't limit yourself; get the acoustics you want, and have the freedom to choose from situation to situation which instrument is best suited to the task at hand.
      -Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I think they're different in the same way that accoustic and electric guitars are different. I play Es for what the Es allow me to bring to the music that the As don't. When I play As, it's for the same reason. As drummers, though, I think we have one advantage over the guitarists - the hybrid kit. We can get the aspects of both Es and As (simultaneously) that we want or need for whatever music or project we're working on. Guitarists can't easily do that - I don't recall seeing any hybrid guitars (I know someone is going to bring up hollow body electrics, here, but I don't think that's in the same league as a hybrid kit). In any case, it's all good. Play what you want, as long as you play.

Comment

Yeah, what he said!

Gotta check out peizo pickups on electric guitars... they give authentic acoustic sounds... Hybrid guitars?
          -Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

My man, Chris...

...always on the cutting edge! The peizo pickups for guitar and bass are a pretty damned big deal. Great versatility within a single instrument. My brother, the bass player, is really gung-ho about getting a new bass built with a peizo bridge. The guitar player in his main band already plays an axe with peizo, a la John Petrucci, and is in love with it.

From what I heard, Alex Lifeson is using same for touring now, cutting down on guitar changes. 1 guitar for "The Trees" and "La Villa Strangiato"... cool!

Chris, you gonna get a fretless bass w/peizos to match that guitar?
            -Danny

Comment

I kinda disagree here on the sound of the cymbals.

While the crashes and chinas are nowhere close to what we are used to while we are playing them live, they sound pretty good five feet away in the audience. And , IMO, the rides sound amazing and the H-H's sound plenty good no matter where you are sitting.

All the cymbals sound surprizingly good when recorded as well. I think that this is because we are hearing them in a compressed context, and usually through stereo systems, which have more accurate tweeters than our stage monitors, or even most front of house speakers.

So, I have a feeling it is not so much the sounds per se, but the near impossibilty of using on stage monitors which have the frequency response, dynamic range (truly impossible, I think), and sheer volume to make them sound realistic to our ears.

On the other hand, this is just pis$ing in the wind. Regardless of why, for many live applications, nothing to date sounds and plays like acoustic cymbals.

But for loud electric music - blues, rock, funk,metal, etc - all the acoustic cymbals will truly give you is the need for mikes, loud stage volume, hearing loss, and the sound we like!

I think you should all write sincere, contrite letters of apology to Roland, and I mean now, mister.
              Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

Kickin' Tires...

Funny how we accumulate things, eh? I've got an older Yamaha 4-string BB-model bass that I taught myself on, and a cheap acoustic 6-string that I keep around mostly for my friends to play on when we jam.

I keep thinking of getting an electric gee-tar for myself; nothing fancy, probably an Ibanez RG or something... kinda versatile, as opposed to a single-dimensional guitar such as a Strat or Tele. I've had a lifetime infatuation with the sound of the Gibson Les Paul Custom, but I don't see that one in the budget! I'd just borrow my buddy's, but why? I've got him to play it wayyyyyyy better than I ever could!

While I'm at it, I need to replace the old keyboards that just went to the thrift store last week, too. Anyone wanna donate a mint-condition Korg Triton to a good cause?????
                -Danny

Comment

ginger gets the "right on the nosey" prize from me.well said.
                  -i can levitate birds and no one cares-----------V-CONCERT,CY12H-CY15R/SPD-20-XP-60 V-STUDIO 1824CD,DAUZ PADS,NO RYTHYM AND MISC.CRAP 9"HART SPLASH/AKAI S5000/ASSLOAD OF SAMPLES

Comment

Thanks Gravee. Although, to be honest, I guess I was trolling just a bit. Forum rather sedate lately. Nobody batted an eyelash, however. We are getting ready to hibernate it seems...so quiet........eyes heavy........zzzzzzzzzzzz

Comment

HEY, YOU BASTARD! HOW CAN YOU EVER SAY THAT ACOUSTIC DRUMS CAN EVEN COME CLOSE TO ELECTRONIC DRUMS! V-DRUMS ARE CLEARLY SUPERIOR TO ANY OTHER ACOUSTIC OR ELECTRONIC DRUMS, PERIOD! IF YOU CAN'T FIND SATISFACTION ON V-DRUMS, THEN YOU JUST AREN'T DOING IT RIGHT! I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT, YOU IDIOT, SO YOU MUST LISTEN TO ME! ARRRRGH, RANT, RAVE, ETC.

...better?
                      -Danny

Comment

I haven't touched my V's for more than 3 months now... and by that I mean that the kit is totally put away. Why ? Because I started missing A's incredibly, and then realised I didn't have enough room for both in my bedroom. So now I can't decide to get back to V's, but I'm sure it's going to happen soon again. I just wish I had a bigger room, because I don't think I can give up on any of these... they're equally amazing.
                        Nabil

Comment

get off of me Dad, you're crushing my smokes

Ah...............MUCH better! Thanks Danny. Thriving on abuse as I do, that was a breath of heather.

Comment

Great thread as I have decided to go back to acoustics after about a year and a half hiatus. I've been playing v's for that time and played my brother's acoustics a few weeks ago. Wow! You almost forget what it's like! They were so articulate and subtle. I think that is something the v's haven't quite masterd yet.

As people have stated in this thread, the situation should dictate the instrument. In the new band I'll be forming, I will be playing my a's with v's mixed in for a little color and spice. So I guess I lied, I will be playing a hybrid! Anyway, I'm sold on a's and e's, I can't part with either one.
                            V-Custom w Roland TD-8 and and Alesis DM5, DIY edrums

Comment

Originally posted by zendrums
                              They were so articulate and subtle. I think that is something the v's haven't quite masterd yet.
                              I'm not articulate OR subtle... so why should my drums be?

I was in the music store the other day and a head-banger drummer was in there tapping, swishing, gently stroking this cymbal and talking about how 'expressive' it was. His buddies were laughing at him and saying "You knock the s**t out of it with a stick, dumba**! Whatd'ya need 'expressive' for!?"

I think too much of the time drummers don't buy the kit they need and, instead, buy the kit they read *.

* read about in reviews and hyped-up glossies.
                              My website...
                              VCustom kit,
                              TD8 + Aphex Impulse,
                              HDI Cymbals.
                              A great site: eDrumming.com

Comment

Working...
                              X