Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Developing Independence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Developing Independence

Hi everyone. Does anybody have any advice on developing independence. I've been listening to Neil lately and he has very good independence. Subdivisions intro would be one example. He plays the ride cymbal while he is doing other things. I am also trying to count it out rather then go by feel....i am having trouble though. Thanks guys.

I would recommend the "New Breed" and "New Breed II" books by Gary Chester. The exercises in this book will definatly improve your indepence and kick your a** at the same time.

I spent about a year on the first "New Breed" book with an instructor and I still didn't get all the way through it
    Jazz nerd with old school Gretch kit and dirty Zildjian K's all around. Hart Pro 5.3 kit with TD-8 in my apartment for practicing without disturbing my annoying neighbors.

Comment

Thanks, i'll look for that. I want to go back to taking lessons but right now it's tough. I also want to purchase a new Ekit. right now i only have one day a week to bang around on my A's.

Comment

as an owner of e drums you have the luxury of puting the snare on your kick your kick on your ride and your ride on your snare......etc......it may sound silly but a good way to learn/understand seperation back in the day was to move your drums around.sorta gives one limb a chance to feel what the others been doing.just one example.......
        -i can levitate birds and no one cares-----------V-CONCERT,CY12H-CY15R/SPD-20-XP-60 V-STUDIO 1824CD,DAUZ PADS,NO RYTHYM AND MISC.CRAP 9"HART SPLASH/AKAI S5000/ASSLOAD OF SAMPLES

Comment

Cool, thanks. I never heard of doing that before. I bet that would really help...sounds tough but usually what is tough works best right?

Comment

You might also try Extreme Interdependence by Marco Minnemann. I've been going through some of his stuff with a friend...WOW...if I can get even a tiny amount of his technique
            down I'll be a happy camper. Here's more about the book (and CD):
            "This book contains cutting-edge techniques to master 4-limb independence from German drum sensation Marco Minnemann. His method will dramatically increase independence and coordination skills and help develop facility on the drum set in all styles. Included are patterns, melodies for two-limbs, extreme hi-hat and flam techniques, extreme soloing and independence grooves and more. A bonus section includes play-along material from Marco's solo CDs and actual workshop sheets from his amazing clinics."
            Boom Theory Spacemuffins
            TD6
            HDI Cymbals

Comment

You still seem obsessed w/this Neil character. Why not give Lenny White a listen?

Comment

Enough already. As a singer, he is OK, but as a drummer Neil Diamond sucks. \

(Home at 2:30 am, drunk as a skunk--my bass player - the best I have ever played with and a good guy- leaves town tomorrow. Truly bummed. )
                Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

Play left handed! It's a ***** at first, but after 3-4 months I don't even want to go back! It helps a great deal with independence, but that's not the only benefit. For example: Before I made the switch, I couldn't roll on paradiddles with any speed. I could play them at slower tempos, but my hands would lock up at a certain point. Playing left handed forced me to strengthen the weak hand. Now, paradiddles feel as natural as double strokes, and I can get them going almost as fast as doubles. Still working on that single stroke roll, however (although it's getting better). And your feet will also benefit, not only with independence but technique. I think I am finally ready to learn double bass now after switching roles, playing bass with the left foot and hi-hat with the right.
                  Last edited by ufotofu; 10-11-02, 07:22 AM.
                  Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

Bill Bruford's "When In Doubt, Roll" has some good exercises.

Comment

Conversations in Clave by Horacio Hernandez is excellent at developing independence and also helps you develop the skills to play solid Latin grooves. Independence exercises are one of the most frustrating things to work on but in time these exercises will take your skills to whole other level. You need to stick with it for several months to begin to appreciate the benefits...
                      Last edited by Shadorne; 09-25-12, 09:58 AM. Reason: corrected spelling
                      TD-30 with VH-11, PD125, PD85, PD85, PD105, CY15 R, CY14 C, CY12 C, KD140, KD8 (left foot clave), DW 8000 long-board double kick, PM30. ATC SCM 100A Studio Monitors + ATC 0.1/15 Sub. Benchmark DAC1. Sennheiser HD 25-II headphones. AKG 240 (original from late 70's). Gibson Les Paul Supreme.

Comment

10 YEAR GRAVE DIG! YOU WIN!

Comment

Originally posted by Tazed View Post
                          10 YEAR GRAVE DIG! YOU WIN!
                          And it's "Horacio" amigous.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Comment

Isn't that 'amigos' Ed?

Comment

Originally posted by Tazed View Post
                              Isn't that 'amigos' Ed?