Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

V's with real cymbals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V's with real cymbals

Anyone using the V's with real cymbals? Love the Vdrums but detest the lack of expression and nuance in the Hi Hat, ride, etc. Looking at the TD-10 with either the Paiste Signatures or UFIP Classic series. Would appreciate any feedback from whomever might be using a similar setup live or in the studio.

Thanks,
    Brian James

Yep

I just wish the V's had as much dynamic range as the cymbals.

I don't have any advice because I have not had the courage to take them out live yet. But, I am close.

We do a wide range of cover tunes from Basie to N'sync. So, the V's are great for getting close to the original drum sounds ... or at least good enough for live performances and drunks.

It would be nice if there were a forum here for sharing info regarding live performance issues and V-drums. You can RTFM and find nothing, search the "most excellent" search engine and find that a lot of previous threads have been removed. Maybe our gracious host can find the time to put up a new forum.

Sam

Comment

TD-10 and Paiste Sigs

I play exactly that setup.

Love it. Period. Advice - take your rack apart and fill all the pipes with that spray foam stuff. If helps a TON with crosstalk. I will post a pic of my current setup one of these days.
      - Hans

Comment

Hans, pics would be great.

How do you handle ballads that would require brushes on an acoustic set of drums?

... or at the other end of the spectrum, tunes that are so loud that the cymbals need mics?

Sam

Comment

Originally posted by Junius
          Hans, pics would be great.

How do you handle ballads that would require brushes on an acoustic set of drums?

... or at the other end of the spectrum, tunes that are so loud that the cymbals need mics?

Sam
          Ballads w/Brushes I play on the V's using the BRUSHES kit. With practice (see another thread on this), it is perfectly possible to have a natural sound. Be sure to use nylon brushes, or even just your sticks.

re: Playing so loud the cymbals need to be mic'ed? Mic 'em! Put a couple overheads and a shotgun mic on your hi-hat. Run them through the sound board. In my experience, playing venues that need the Signature line mic'ed usually have their own mics. Otherwise, those babies cut as through butta.
          - Hans

Comment

Hi
            My kit is played live a couple times aweek I use Cys and Acoustic cymbals with great results
            http://www.vdrums.com/forum/attachme...=&postid=87899
            http://www.vdrums.com/forum/attachme...=&postid=85997
            http://www.vdrums.com/forum/attachme...=&postid=85995
            Last edited by Doug; 10-11-02, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Hi Chris
              There is no problems with the triggering on any drum there is no difference as if I was using PD 120s I have positional sensing dialed in no cross talk if I hit the cone alittle hot spot but scan time mask time on TD-10 are dialed not a problem. To tell you the truth I had more problems dialing in the Hart Snare at first than my hybrid drums. But between Peter Hart and a few on this Board was able to correct that problem. Kit plays as good as it looks Chris. Acoustic Cymbals are a mix between Sabian Ks and Zildjians over head mics 3 sm 57s all mixed EQed at the set.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Doug; 10-12-02, 04:14 AM.

Comment

Hey Doug what kinda triggers are you using on the acoustic drums?

Comment

Hey Doug what kinda triggers are you using on the acoustic drums

IM using Roland OEM piezos and cones same part numbers used in the PD 120 just maybe that's why they trigger just like the PD 120s here is a photo as they come from Roland notice they (foam cones) are not blue anymore. They have double sided tape on the cone and the piezo they stick to the drum standoff. The standoff is adjustable I can adjust the cone up or down for proper O-D precision
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Doug; 10-12-02, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Here is a photo of my Session kit I had for two years I sold them on Ebay and did the conversion on my Stage Customs. Have a look if you like. Sorry Brian we got off track alittle didnt mean to change your thread on Acoustic cymbals with Vs..... so back to the topic
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Doug; 10-12-02, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Electric Drums, Acoustic Cymbals

Brian, if you have any specific questions about the ups or downs of V-Drums w/acoustic cymbals (on stage, in studio, reheasals, monitoring), drop me a line at [email protected] sometime.

Whatever the situation, I'm guessing I've probably been there & done that. Be glad to pass on my meager knowlege.........
                      -Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Vs with Acoustic Cymbals

Danny,

With regards to the use of acoustic cymbals, what would you suggest to avoid or what has not worked, and in what setting?

Sam

Comment

Working...
                        X