Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sampler - MIDI - compatability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sampler - MIDI - compatability

Could you tell me if the following setup would work, I thought I'd better check if there are any improvements to this setup before I decide what to buy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated:

4 tom pads + 2 snare pads + hi hat + 3 cymbal pads + kick pad
    [either ddrum or vdrum]
    >
    >
    Alesis DM Pro
    >
    >
    EMU 6400 or PC

Could the latency be improved on this system?
    FYI - I'm not planning on using the DM Pro sounds

or would a DM 5 be just as good as a DM Pro?
    Last edited by mmxpert; 09-11-02, 09:19 AM.

Yeah, if you're just using it as a TMI (Trigger to Midi Interface) then the enhanced sounds and expandibility isn't needed on the DM Pro. You're just looking for how it triggers.

The only difference would be that the DM Pro has the "in between"ness of the high hat, and the DM5 only has the switch type (on/off... up/down).

You could probably even go to a D4 if you wanted, but I would venture to guess the DM5 triggers better. Maybe even look at a MIDI KITI instead... no sounds.

You might also want to check if you can use ddrum pads (like you thought about using) on a Alesis brain... i've heard things about ddrum being proprietary, so I don't know if that would be an option. But you have more than enough other options for pads from every other company that would work great.

But you're thinking on the right route... i still wonder why people have something like a TD10 and then use it to trigger a sampler. A sampler won't support the MIDI information that the TD10 knows.. positional sensing and the like. So in my opinion basic and cheaper just to get the information from the pads to the sampler is what you want.

Maybe i'm wrong... is there an advantage to the "features" of the Roland brains if you're routing it to another sound source?
    Last edited by Real-ity; 09-11-02, 05:06 PM.
    Gabe Kangas
    DM5, D4, PD80R, CY-15, CY-6, Visu-lite Ride, DauZ's, Random Pintech stuff, BBE 362.

www.spasticsrecords.com/real-ity

Comment

Thanks, you make a good point about the 'inbetweenness' of the hi-hat. So I guess the DM Pro would be better then.

Comment

Working...
      X