Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For Peart(y) People ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Peart(y) People ...

... I'm really surprised it was not mentioned here but Neil's red Tama set (circa. "Moving Pictures" tour?) was recently up on eBay but did not meet reserve.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...item=900934133

Funny, because I went from listening to the Colaiuta's, Weckls and other fusion guys, to Neil. I have recently become a Rush fanatic. After joking around about how people become obsessed, I am starting to see why..... I bought Signals, Hold Your Fire, Presto all within a months time. I own Permenant Waves, Chroncles, Test for Echo and Retrospectives one and two. Farewell to Kings. What I like about Rush though is not just the drumming but music and lyrics. The whole band is great! Neil is so creative with using the electronics mixed in with the A's. Simply awesome.

Comment

It's a shame of the condition that the kit is in now. Look at how that guy is treating it! Broken lugs! Throwing the parts on the floor in no order at all to take pictures.

Yes, that is how you sell a classic kit, make it look like a pile of crap.

There are pictures around of Neil's 1980-1982 kit that is now owned by a contest winner, and it is in BEAUTIFUL condition. And it's an older kit!
      substrike.com for a better tomorrow - today!
      My Drums
      Tama Rockstar Acoustics, Zildjian and Wuhan Cymbals, Roland SPD-20, Roland PM-16, Akai S2000 w/Iomega 250 SCSI Zip, 2 Pintech Silentech Pads (one single zone, one dual zone), Kat F.A.T. Pedal, Pintech K3, Simmons pads.

Comment

Originally posted by Harlock
        Thanks Marc.

NEIL NEIL NEIL NEIL NEIL...

& for those who care : Rush unveils new tour dates
        I care!!

NEIL NEIL NEIL NEIL NEIL...

went to:

7/3/2002 Va Beach
        7/9/2002 D.C.

going to:

9/21/2002 Las Vegas
        and one of those dates you just listed.

Cheers,

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by mbrg
          Funny, because I went from listening to the Colaiuta's, Weckls and other fusion guys, to Neil. I have recently become a Rush fanatic. After joking around about how people become obsessed, I am starting to see why..... I bought Signals, Hold Your Fire, Presto all within a months time. I own Permenant Waves, Chroncles, Test for Echo and Retrospectives one and two. Farewell to Kings. What I like about Rush though is not just the drumming but music and lyrics. The whole band is great! Neil is so creative with using the electronics mixed in with the A's. Simply awesome.
          Yes, people like to claim that you should *start* with Neil and then "outgrow" him and move on. (I saw a Chad Smith clinic and he asked everyone "so, who is still in their Neil Peart phase?" as though it were akin to playing with toy cars and thinking that girls give you cooties).

My first drum teacher loved to dis Neil as well. "Neil Peart isn't even in the top 1000 drummers in the world. There are fifty guys in Vancouver alone that are better than he is." And on and on it goes.

I've certainly heard a lot of music since I first got into Rush, and I know full well that there plenty of guys out there faster/groovier/funkier than Neil. (I've seen Dennis Chambers play from ten feet away... whoa!) But the thing is, their music leaves me cold. Carter Beauford is obviously an incredible drummer but DMB doesn't do much for me. Dave Weckl? Awesome soloist. But his albums sound like "elevator jazz" and literally put me to sleep..... Great musicianship, lousy music, IMHO. I would say the same about virtually all the fusion I've heard (I've never heard Coluita (sp?) so I'll suspend judgement). Fusion is music that I *ought* to like (jazz virtuosity with rock power), but it never quite works for me.

Rush, on the other hand, still practically brings tears to my eyes even after all these years. I hear the ride-out to "Subdivisions" and I think "that is ****ing genius, and I don't care what anybody says!"

So, welcome to the Rush fanatics' club. Your membership card and secret decoder ring will arrive in the mail shortly

Darren
          Last edited by darrenmc; 09-04-02, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Darren, you are absolutely right. I feel the same way. Weckl's skills are great, as are Beaford, Chambers etc., but there music doesnt appeal to me. There are always going to be better drummers out there and I have no doubt that many are much greater then Neil and could play his stuff blind folded, but they didnt come up with it! That is the difference. His lyrics and creativity are great. The way he incorporates electronics into his drumming is also very well done. It all comes down to the music and creativity and Neil does both well. I like many other drummers and I don't obsess over Neil like many people do. But the fact that one drummer can influence so many people says allot. There are many other great drummers, but in the rock realm, Neil is at the top.

Comment

For Vinnie Colaiuta - check out Ten Summners Tales by Sting and let me know what you think. He doesn't appear on just fusion stuff.

Mick
              www.royfulton.co.uk, www.zendrum.com ,Tempus Drums, Istanbul Agop, Regal Tip, Alesis DMPro, D4,Garageband, HK Powerworks PA

Comment

Neil who?

Think I summed it up as best I can in this old post:

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthre...s&pagenumber=4

And Vinnie was quite musical in "Summoner's" for sure. However...

Best piece of work, IMNSHO, in Sting's solo career is a track from "The Dream of the Blue Turtles" entitled "Fortress Around Your Heart" or something like that. The entire song, especially the drumming, is absolutely sublime. The subtle cross-stick verse builds and explodes into a simple but wayyyy fat-a$$ ride groove in the chorus. Dat's da shiz-nat!

Omar Hakim. Pre-V-Drums!
                -Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by MustangMick
                  For Vinnie Colaiuta - check out Ten Summners Tales by Sting and let me know what you think. He doesn't appear on just fusion stuff.

Mick
                  Good call, excellent album.

Ditto on all Darren said.

Jeff

Comment

Drums used on big tours get really banged up by roadies, they look good under lights from 50 feet away but when you get up close under natrual light, you can really see the abuse. I've heard it said that a year on tour equals 12 of normal use.
                    Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Vinnie is the man. My favorite drummer and probably best drummer of our time.

Comment

Manu is another great player, but he is no Vinnie. Then again, no one is close to Vinnie.....that is what makes him Vinnie.

Comment

Working...
                        X