Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Buy complete set vs. build your own

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy complete set vs. build your own

I'm new to this forum and have enjoyed reading the information this site provides.

My question is this? I currently have a Yamaha DTX kit. I really enjoy this set but would like to upgrade to a bigger set. I'm sure this topic has been discussed many times on this forum but I couldn't find it.

Am I better to spend 3K or so on a really nice complete kit, or build-my-own kit using really nice components? If so, what would the cost of a comparable build-your-own cost? Where would I find the components needed to build such a set?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Maximus, welcome to the group.......

My first set was a stock Roland TD-3, I added a Pintech Dingbat, then mesh drums...

later on, ended up replacing the whole thing..used the Dingbat and mesh drums on the new kit.

I got a Roland TD-12 module, put it on a Gibraltar rack (from Musician's Friend).

I liked Brian of Hope Drums (Pintech dealer) and went with all Pintech drums/cymbals. I got good deals/advice from him. I went with the smaller and cheaper kick drum on his advice. I saved some money by going with the gear I did compared to comparable Roland stuff. Brian is also a Hart dealer. There are a number of Hart fans on the forum.

You can mix and match manufacturers (Hart, Pintech, Roland, Yamaha etc). See Grog's signature line, listing his components.

RMC gets excellent reviews, they'll customize your Roland kit for you and save you some money over buying everything separately.

You could also get used components, that would save you some money. All these drums/cymbals/modules seem to function amazingly well.

You can find other on-line sources of v-drums or cymbals. It depends on what you want. You can get a bigger snare, better hi-hat, etc. The Hart cymbals for one are metal, if you want more realistic looking cymbals, that's an option. There are LOTS of possibilities.

You'll get good info/opinions from our multinational group here.

Good luck, let us know what you go with.
    Michael

TD-12/Gibraltar rack/Pintech Concertcast drums 12" snare, 1 12" tom, 2 10" toms, 8" mesh kick, Visulite cymbals, 14" dual zone crash, 13" hi-hat, 18" 3 zone ride and 2 Dingbats, Roland PM-10, iPod, Zildjian anti-vibe sticks, Roc-N-Soc throne with backrest, Yamaha snare stand, Tama Iron Cobra pedal and HH75W hi-hat stand, Sennheiser HDR 110 wireless headphones. V-expressions 80's and 90's Giggin' Kits and Both Top 50 drummers (hopefully functional soon)

Comment

Thanks Picks....

It's nice to hear advice from knowledgeable people. Sounds like you have a really sweet setup. Can you post a picture?

Also, what would a set like yours cost?....ball park?

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Maximus View Post
        Am I better to spend 3K or so on a really nice complete kit, or build-my-own kit using really nice components?
        In a nutshell:

If you want a kit consisting of all new equipment, it is generally cheaper to buy a complete kit all at once rather than part by part.

You can save a great deal of money buying used gear, but you'll have to be patient and watch eBay and Craigslist for the best deals.

If you literally want to "build" your own kit, you can save even more money by converting a cheap acoustic kit into an electronic kit. Visit the DIY section of this Web site for more information on that process.

Best of luck.
        >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

Even buying used gear, it will still be cheaper to buy a used complete kit which contains most of what you want, replace the things you don't like (with more used gear) and dump those you don't want on ebay.
          My compact kit.

Comment

Working...
          X