Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Well I went and did it - more GAS to come!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well I went and did it - more GAS to come!

After resisting the tempation for some time, I finally gave in, took my $50 gift card down to GC (Thanks Mom and Dad!), and bought a Squier Bullet Strat for $99. The idea is to have something to show my 10-year-old some chords on (he has his own mini-electric) and maybe get some quality time in before he turns into a teenager. Fortunately I have an amp, and can use the effects channel in my recorder for now, but doubtless there will be no end to the things I "need" for my new toy. Guess I'll have to keep my eye out for a cheap bass now...
    Id rather be told the ugly truth than handed a pretty lie.

Originally posted by stickinthemud View Post
    After resisting the tempation for some time, I finally gave in, took my $50 gift card down to GC (Thanks Mom and Dad!), and bought a Squier Bullet Strat for $99. The idea is to have something to show my 10-year-old some chords on (he has his own mini-electric) and maybe get some quality time in before he turns into a teenager. Fortunately I have an amp, and can use the effects channel in my recorder for now, but doubtless there will be no end to the things I "need" for my new toy. Guess I'll have to keep my eye out for a cheap bass now...
    That's very cool Prof , i hope your boy enjoys the strat Just be carefull with GAS after the bass you might like to check that v-piano or that td-4 or that mandolin etc......
    Ex E-kits:
    ''Lernean Hydra'' ( a bounche of roland pads with a td-6 module)
    ''Lucy'' (Diamond electronic drums with a td-12 module)
    current E-kit
    ''Cherry Gretschy Lady'' (Gretsch Catalina Ash 6 piece A to E kit-Roland td20 module-A to E cymbals)

A-kit
    " Mrs.Catalina'' (Gretsch Catalina maple 6 piece kit-Paiste signature+Masterwork custom made cymbals)

check out a few videos http://www.youtube.com/user/hampisdrums

Comment

Oooh, strings, picks, better pick-ups, amps, effects pedals.....

Comment

definitely more GAS: multi effect pedals and amp simulators..Line6 anyone?

Saving for a Squier Vintage modified strat myself - having bought the bass for christmas...
        TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
        ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
        not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

You know, as someone who has played guitar longer than I have played drums, I find the GAS associated with guitars far less troubling. I have a few guitars and a few amps and effects and then stopped. Drums are a daily struggle.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
            You know, as someone who has played guitar longer than I have played drums, I find the GAS associated with guitars far less troubling. I have a few guitars and a few amps and effects and then stopped. Drums are a daily struggle.
            Hmm... 6 basses, large bass rig bigger and heavier than me and multi-effects rack, old keyboard and Proteus FX, my Mum's old electric piano, an old strat copy and a tenor sax.... and I don't get time to play any of them at the moment

It's more difficult now that the Drummer Live show has become the London International Music Show and there's all kinds of gear on offer that I really really want

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
              I have to agree with this completely...I was able to control my GAS as a guitar picker, but since dabbling in the drum world, my GAS is WAY out of control. I really enjoy playing with my vintage guitar gear, but as far as drums go, I need the latest and greatest!
              My Kit's Evolution Pics...

Comment

Well, I have been able to resist the temptation to buy a better tuner at least. The one I have is kind of sketchy. I downloaded a shareware tuner that helped me get the string saddles adjusted, and even rigged a fret just inside the headnut to get the strings closer to the frets. It aslo makes for cleaner chords and easier tuning.The unit plays very nicely now. Bar chords are so easy on an electric!

The tuner is very cool, for those of you who could use one. Usefull for lots more than just guitars. Just go to http://www.aptuner.com/cgi-bin/aptuner/apmain.html. Fully functional, evaluate it as long as you like.

Comment

Get an octave pedal and use the guitar as a bass. This is what I currently do for my songs and it sounds quite nice if you get it right...

BTW there's no replacement for a good tuner. I found software to be off and cheap tuners do the same.
                  Spend your money on something like the Boss TU-2. It will allow you to set your intonation and fine tune everything to it's proper place.
                  Dave
                  Sonic Orb Studios
                  My Youtube

My kit is custom running 10, 12, 14" toms, a 12" snare, 2 crash, 1 ride, 1 splash, and dual kick drum all plugged into a
                  Roland TD-6V module which runs MIDI to Superior Drummer 2

Comment

Stick...you should take the gutair to a luthier and have it set up right....I had a Squier Affinity Strat (stolen in 05) and got a '51 recently. From the factory both needed serious work (fret filing, bridge and intonation etc.). My local guy charges about $50 (awful lot for a $100 gutair I know). You can of course DIY...here's a site with good info and here's a place for bling
                    chris :D

Comment

I agree with bogiesbad. Your Luthier is your best friend when it comes to this. My best playing guitar is a Schecter that was setup professionally.
                      sigpic

Comment

boogiesbad and Michael,

You are both very right, I'm sure. But as you allude to, boogie, the economy of a $99 guitar slips away as you pony up for professional work.

So far I'm very pleased with my DIY work. Once tuned, the chords are nice and pure, and the action, while not up to Strat standards, is pretty good. I like to do stuff like this myself to learn, and I will definitely check out those links!

Comment

Oh, and on a topical note...

Would the son of a the best luthier in town (who specializes in Martin guitars) be a Martin Luthier King, Jr.?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHA!

Man, I crack myself UP!

Comment

Oh, and on a topical note...

Would the son of a the best luthier in town (who specializes in Martin guitars) be a Martin Luthier King, Jr.?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHA!

Man, I crack myself UP!
                            You are probably the sort of person who calls people who steal things from musical instrument shops during a riot 'luters'....
                            TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
                            ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
                            not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Aw jeez Stick...ouch
                              chris :D

Comment

Working...
                              X