Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

An oldie but goodie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An oldie but goodie!

Smokin' by Boston.

This one took more practice than I thought it would. I'm fighting this getting older thing every step of the way!

Anyway, take a look and a listen. I invite your comments and critiques.

Id rather be told the ugly truth than handed a pretty lie.

Excellent rendition dude. I particularly like the overhead shot so I can see everything you're doing. I haven't tried any Boston yet - grew up on this stuff. You did a very good job with it.

Off topic - newbie alert:

What options are available for mounting additional PD-8 pads like you have above your low toms. Perhaps a Google search will do me good. I would like two more tom pads & that seems like a decent option.
    David
    TD-9KX stock kit with extra PD-85 & CY8

Comment

I always wondered why they put the Roland logo on the top of the headphone head band - now we see why! Great bit of brand advertising.

That was great SITM, and particularly like the overhead view so we can see how it all flows. Good work.

Comment

Awesome! Really great job!
        Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

excellent job Prof !!
          i left a comment too 5*****
          Ex E-kits:
          ''Lernean Hydra'' ( a bounche of roland pads with a td-6 module)
          ''Lucy'' (Diamond electronic drums with a td-12 module)
          current E-kit
          ''Cherry Gretschy Lady'' (Gretsch Catalina Ash 6 piece A to E kit-Roland td20 module-A to E cymbals)

A-kit
          " Mrs.Catalina'' (Gretsch Catalina maple 6 piece kit-Paiste signature+Masterwork custom made cymbals)

check out a few videos http://www.youtube.com/user/hampisdrums

Comment

Cool

One of my favorite songs to play along with as well and ha, one of the first 8-track tapes I ever purchased along with Foreigner, so there's my age.

I wish I played it as well as you did.

If you don't mind me asking, what equipment do you use to record it and take the drums out?

Excellent
            TD-20S Expanded + SPD_S
            Intel 6800 Dual Core on Asus P5E3 Deluxe -

Comment

Very nice SITM, nice and relaxed, and a classic track too.
              The top view has made me curious about the angle you hold your left hand at, and I wonder what mine looks like. It seems almost 45 degrees. It's probably normal, but just looks odd from the top view!

Comment

I think Hampis coverered it, there is a truth here and it isn't ugly, I learnt a lot thank you. And very very good.
                Fully sik, as the Aussies would say.
                Nothing of importance here

Comment

Thank you all for your kind comments! I'm glad you like the camera angle. I see a lot of drum videos and get miffed because I can't tell what's really going on, so I thought this angle would be most beneficial. Also, you can't see that I play with my eyes closed a lot. Seems to help me concentrate. In looking at my playing, I realize my grip is not good. Using the old "turkey leg" grip! My index finger and thumb should extend more.

Aswepe - I use a standard rack clamp (Roland or Gibralter), and a Dauz curved arm ($18 at dauz.com), which holds the standard L-bracket to which the PD8 attaches.

tbfoster - I record on a Yamaha AW16G, which allows me to record 8 tracks at a time. I go back and correct my glitches, so it makes me seem better than I really am. As for the drumless tracks, try http://www.drumless.com/ (click on free downloads and read the instructions) and http://www.drumdiscounters.com/playalong_songs.htm

I recommend recording for everyone. It is a frustrating process, but I come away from every project a better drummer.
                  Last edited by stickinthemud; 01-10-09, 11:25 PM.

Comment

You kick-ass stick...great job
                    chris :D

Comment

Great playing. I think the ride could be turned up a little...at least on that patch.

Also, if you have a wide screen setting on your video camera, use it...then export at 1280x720. This will allow youtube to play in their "HD" format giving you a stereo audio sample as well.
                      Dave
                      Sonic Orb Studios
                      My Youtube

My kit is custom running 10, 12, 14" toms, a 12" snare, 2 crash, 1 ride, 1 splash, and dual kick drum all plugged into a
                      Roland TD-6V module which runs MIDI to Superior Drummer 2

Comment

Love Boston, Great job looks almost effortless.
                        NOW with New Improved TD-30 Module, some V drums an other music making thingies with miscellaneous small furry animals, large hairy animals, motorcycle bits and a big muff:rolleyes:.

Comment

Very nice Stick, thanks for sharing, I as far as my drummer limitations allows me to understand, that's was awesome!. The camera angle is perfect to watch everything. I agree with the ride being a bit too low. And the recording is pretty good too.

------------------------------------------------
                          Roland TD6-KW+VEX's

Comment

Originally posted by weldman View Post
                            Great playing. I think the ride could be turned up a little...at least on that patch.

Also, if you have a wide screen setting on your video camera, use it...then export at 1280x720. This will allow youtube to play in their "HD" format giving you a stereo audio sample as well.
                            You would laugh at my "video equipment"! A Canon Sureshot A540 (digital still cam with video capabilities). At 640x480, barely adequate for this kind of stuff. Heaven help me if I start buying video equipment. You would find my name in the obituaries in the Grapevine Sun!

Two opinions that the ride is too low. Hmmm... I'll keep it in mind should I decided to remix.

Thanks for the critiques!

Comment

Originally posted by stickinthemud View Post
                              You would laugh at my "video equipment"! A Canon Sureshot A540 (digital still cam with video capabilities). At 640x480, barely adequate for this kind of stuff. ...

That was great. I let it play twice.

You inspired me. I have a Sony Cyber Shot DSC-P10 still digital camera with some sort of video feature.. but no actual audio equipment, hmmmmm maybe when I get my mini kit finished I can test the lower ends of poor quality recording Saah-MOKIN! yeah!!
                              TD-20 (non expanded), acoustic look DIY a to e conversion - some cake pan/ some crossbar method. DIY cymbals, VH-12 :-)
                              Psalm 150
                              had the best times with this band https://www.facebook.com/SaintHooliganMusic
                              YouTube video postings: https://www.youtube.com/user/racer52online/videos
                              Vdrums Photo Albums: http://www.vdrums.com/member/26923-racer52/media

Comment

Working...
                              X