Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Carter Beauford - Dave Matthews Band

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carter Beauford - Dave Matthews Band

Flipping channels last night and came across a Dave Matthews live performance. Started watching his drummer and I noticed that he was playing a right hand kit, but he was playing the snare with his right hand and the hihat with the left. Plus he had a ride cymbal up high on the left above the hihat. Looked really crazy. I'm kinda contemplating practicing that method to work on my limb independance. I've tried it in the past and I royally suck. If you happen to see carter beauford, check out his style.
    -Coop

Roland TDW-20 Module VEX'd, Boss FS-6, two DW 9900 holding four Pintech Concertcast toms, Hart Dynamics Pro Snare on DW 9300, Hart Dynamics ECymbal II HiHat on EPedal II, Hart 14" Crash, 12"crash, 14"China, 16"ride on 4X DW 9700 , Pintech DingBat, Roland KD-120, Tama Iron Cobra doubles, Pork Pie Big Boy Throne (Camo).

yes, carter beauford is one of the best. his open hand technique is really good, if you listen al the cd's of DMB you will think if that is possible, such a monster behind the kit.

Check his videos play alone in the studio, really great to see what's happen there.

Comment

I'm not a DMB fan at all..but Carter is a great drummer!

His instructional vids used to be playing at Guitar Center all the time when I worked there..him and Bernard Purdy.

E
      - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

I've watched his dvd and he is a fantastic drummer. He tells a funny story about his open technique and how he formed it accidently.

It was something about setting up his drum kit according to one on the tv. He managed to get his kit set up the wrong way round, so he's a lefty playing on a right handed kit.

Comment

I recognize the talent in those guys, but I just can't stand their music. Dave Matthews voice just annoys the crap out of me!
          TD-12; TD-6V; FD-8; Hart Pro Toms, Snare, Bass; ECII hihat, crashes, splash & ride; Smartrigger crashes & china; Hart Hammer Pad; Pintech Dingbat; Iron Cobra double-bass.

"I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Yup, have heard a couple of DMB albums I didn't find the songs very memorable. Also DM just seemed to riff over everything rather than singing proper melodies.

Carter Beauford rocks though, there's a DVD of him and Victor Wooten on bass that's worth a look.

Comment

Never seen the appeal here either.

Comment

Originally posted by KevH View Post
                Never seen the appeal here either.
                Me neither, but always loved the intro to Say Goodbye
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfiPYNd0BzY

Comment

I've always loved Carter and seem to be a minority in the fact that I like DMB. I'm strange though, as I would much rather listen to talk radio than music any day.
                  Roland Td-11KV, Alesis SamplePad, DW5000 pedal, Vater 7A sticks.

Comment

Originally posted by PumaPhreak View Post
                    I've always loved Carter and seem to be a minority in the fact that I like DMB. I'm strange though, as I would much rather listen to talk radio than music any day.

I think DMB is one of those bands that people either like or can't stand. I've rarely heard ambivalence towards them.
                    TD-12; TD-6V; FD-8; Hart Pro Toms, Snare, Bass; ECII hihat, crashes, splash & ride; Smartrigger crashes & china; Hart Hammer Pad; Pintech Dingbat; Iron Cobra double-bass.

"I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

I'd have to agree with you fullback. I've got a couple friends who would cut off an apendage just to see DMB. I on the other hand can't really take much of it. The live stuff is even worse than the stuff on the radio, IMHO.
                      -Coop

Roland TDW-20 Module VEX'd, Boss FS-6, two DW 9900 holding four Pintech Concertcast toms, Hart Dynamics Pro Snare on DW 9300, Hart Dynamics ECymbal II HiHat on EPedal II, Hart 14" Crash, 12"crash, 14"China, 16"ride on 4X DW 9700 , Pintech DingBat, Roland KD-120, Tama Iron Cobra doubles, Pork Pie Big Boy Throne (Camo).

Comment

I decided to take on drums since I started listening and watching DMB. I have always loved drumming and rhythm in general but I never took myself too seriously about learning drums until after listening to the live version of #41 in Chicago, where Carter and Victor Wooten make such a groovy performance that I said to myself I have to learn to play that song.

Carter's musicality is incredible, he has such a taste to simply lay himself back and play the exact notes and grooves the music need at every time, He certainly has flashy chops as when he rolls all over his kit back and forth ending on the cymbals everytime and crossing his hands, but that's not his specialty. It is funny to see how he is always adding in an improvised-fashion specific notes to songs and DM usually turns back and give him that there-you-go-again-and-how-come-you always-do-it-so-well look.

Carter is more into the jazz-fusion style so probably many of you metallers may not dig it. But for the likes who loves jazz and fusion Carter is the man, there are many more amazing drummers out there in that field but IMHO Carter stands out due to his acute sense of musicality. As someone in the forum said of him "he seems to speak drums rather than english".

The Making of Music DVD is really worth a watch. Carter is invited by Wooten to play some of the tunes of Bela Fleck and The Flecktones replacing Future Man (Victor's brother), and there you can see how versatile and how recognizable Carter's style is.

About DMB, it is true that Dave's voice sucks, but he is hell of a composer and lyrics writer The rest of the musicians are top notch even Stephan on the bass in spite of him really learning from the band who took him since he was 17. Too bad Leroi left us.

As an extra note. The first time I heard DMB was thanks to a friend of mine who lent me the Listener Supported cd. The audio is crap on that album and it is really hard to appreciate the quality of the band so I practically ditched it after listening to a couple of tunes. Then I found a great version of Ants Marching on the internet and from that day on I'm a die-hard fan of the band. Almost everything they make I like or enjoy. They sound much better live than in studio without the restrain to their improvisation ability that studio work usually demands. Though I would venture to say that their best studio album is Busted Stuff. Of the live performances I would recommend The Central Park Concert and The Piedmont Park Concert, with special mention of the #41 track of the Chicago Live Concert cd, Victor's performance on the bass is memorable.

I agree with what you say, either you love them or simply can't stand them, but if you are in the latter group give them a second try, their music is not easy to dig at a first shot but once you know them better it is hard not to become addicted. It happened to me and it happened to my wife who really hated them for big while.
                        Last edited by Synkopat; 01-08-09, 02:23 PM.

------------------------------------------------
                        Roland TD6-KW+VEX's

Comment

Here is link to Carter's demonstration of my fav song #41

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bw7y...eature=related

And here is another to the Carter and Victor DVD excerpt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czu8T...eature=related

Here's the link to Victor Wooten's performance live in Chicago in #41. Check it from minute 6:47 on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uesIbOfT8hk
                          Last edited by Synkopat; 01-08-09, 02:44 PM.

Roland TD6-KW+VEX's

Comment

In the Early 90's I worked for a booking/managment company ( Cellar Door Entertainment) . The company at the time was located about 2 hrs from Charlottesville, Va where DMB in based out of and started.
                            I remember Dave came to our office and talked to my boss and his partner and me about Managing his group . I said very little in this meeting because I wasn't a fan of his music and didn;t know much about the "Jam band" scene.
                            I remember my boss listen the first self produced DMB cd that day and telling Dave his music wasn't marketable and it would never sell and he needed to change his style before he would manage him .
                            Dave left that day and signed with Corn Capshaw , owner of Redlight Management ( A Charlottesville VA base company)and the rest is history . I remember DMB had sold 150000 cds on a regional scale before they had a deal . I want to tell you, anyone of you guys that has a band that can sell that many units on there own you can pretty much make any deal you want (Hottie and the Blowfish did the same thing). Think about it 150000 at $10 a cd and thats a self produced cd wiht no label taking there cut . I was at a Phish show my Boss promoted and DMB open for them . That night RCA reps were there and they were really throwing the swag at them guys trying to sign them ...
                            So to make a long story short I respect the DMB for they originality but I would have never thought they would have gotten this big ..
                            BTW my boss moved to Nashville and now has a agentcy that was voted Promoter of the year 4 years in row by Pollstar Magazine. I opted to go back out on the road , being a agent wasn't what I wanted to ..

Comment

Originally posted by zekedrum View Post
                              I remember my boss listen the first self produced DMB cd that day and telling Dave his music wasn't marketable and it would never sell and he needed to change his style before he would manage him .
                              What did your boss say after the huge success of DMB?, Have you ever commented afterwards?.

I agree their music is hard to swallow with a quick listening...

Roland TD6-KW+VEX's

Comment

Working...
                              X