Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Mesh Headed multi-pad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesh Headed multi-pad?

Hi, I'm new here.

I recently purchased a multi-pad and am having a blast. Granted from what I would generally gather, a rubber multi-pad probably doesn't offer quite the same degree of velocity sensitivity in doing something like soft buzz rolls etc. found uisng mesh heads.

However, one fundamental thing I do particularly favor with multipads is ergonomics- IMHO... you can do rolls between drums even somewhat more effortlessly and efficiently than on a kit with pads positioned on a full drum rack because everything on a multipad is grouped so closely together. Also the portability of multipads is certainly a plus as well.

Wouldn't a mesh headed multipad be a great step up in multipads etc.?

Why doesn't Roland or somebody make a mesh headed multipad?

Could something like this even maybe be done in DIY mode etc.?

Any thoughts on this type of subject?

Thanks.

Welcome!

Interesting concept. Miniature round heads with tension adjustment?

I think you would need recessed rims (like bongo/conga heads), as rim triggers would produce too much crosstalk.

And for DIY you would need to make your own mesh heads as they can't be bought small enough.

Bruce

Comment

I think you would need recessed rims (like bongo/conga heads), as rim triggers would produce too much crosstalk.
      Or something like the original low-profile Octoban rims.

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
        Welcome!

Interesting concept. Miniature round heads with tension adjustment?

And for DIY you would need to make your own mesh heads as they can't be bought small enough.

Bruce
        Hi, thanks for the reply.

I see what you mean about the aspect of rims needing to be recessed to minimize potential crosstalk.

Yet, the Roland Octopad II had no rims and each pad was multi-trigger as I recall. Even the DrumKat has this feature without rims as well. The Simmons Portakit had multi-trigger stuff to I think.

Ideally, in my mind square pads would would be better for overall symmetry, rather than circular pads.

Comment

Originally posted by mutant View Post
          Yet, the Roland Octopad II had no rims and each pad was multi-trigger as I recall. Even the DrumKat has this feature without rims as well. The Simmons Portakit had multi-trigger stuff to I think.
          I don't think any of those have multiple triggers per pad.

Ideally, in my mind square pads would would be better for overall symmetry, rather than circular pads.
          Yes, but I don't think it's easy to tension square mesh.

Bruce

Comment

Uh oh! Now we have a "mutant" and a "mutnat"... this could get confusing!
            Roland: TD12, KD85, PD105, PD85 x3, CY15R, CY14C, CY12R/C x2, CY5, VH11
            DW: 5002-TD3 Kick Pedals, 9120AL throne + backrest
            Yamaha: HS1100 HH Stand
            Audio Technica: ATH-M40fs Cans
            Jeroen: Custom Electric Cowbell
            Kentley: Custom Piezo Trigger Splitter x2
            ByteArts: VEX TD-20 Kits: Top 50 1&2, Gigging Kits, Exotics 1, Professor's Pack
            Vdrumlib: Drum Librarian

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
              I don't think any of those have multiple triggers per pad.

I would suspect you are correct, that they don't have dual piezos. For purposes of debate I was just mentioning this all in reference to the aspect of rims/rimshot secondary triggering etc. In that the Roland Octopad II/DrumKat and even Simmons Portakit could have multi MIDI notes per pad, despite each probably only having one actual trigger.

I almost think a square shape would be easier to tighten because of its geometric uniformity? compared to a traditional circular one.

Maybe this whole idea of a Mesh Headed multi-pad could even use something simply like one giant mesh head and then whatever related triggers and/or positional type sensing technology. Like one big multi zone pad essentially in a compact form.

Comment

I almost think a square shape would be easier to tighten because of its geometric uniformity? compared to a traditional circular one.

Maybe this whole idea of a Mesh Headed multi-pad could even use something simply like one giant mesh head and then whatever related triggers and/or positional type sensing technology. Like one big multi zone pad essentially in a compact form.
                What geometry class did you take?(<-note smiley indicating I am just kidding)
                A circle has every point equidistant from the center where a square travels between 1 and the square root of 2 units. Definitely not uniform.

Your idea of the single head with multiple triggers intrigues me. It would almost have to be done with FSR instead of piezos. The KAT line of pads uses a single sheet of rubber with individual FSR triggers, so why not a mesh one.
                sigpic

Comment

Hi, I'm new here.

I recently purchased a multi-pad and am having a blast.
                  Which one did you buy?
                  TD-12; TD-6V; FD-8; Hart Pro Toms, Snare, Bass; ECII hihat, crashes, splash & ride; Smartrigger crashes & china; Hart Hammer Pad; Pintech Dingbat; Iron Cobra double-bass.

"I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Originally posted by Fullback32 View Post
                    Which one did you buy?
                    I am now the proud owner of an Alesis Control Pad.
                    I added a KD-8 and am running everything through Addictive Drums.

The only two things I might be missing out on is

1.) the velocity sensitivity of mesh headed pad design.
                    2.) the mesh heads are quiter than gum rubber.

I am also now even toying with the budgeted idea of adding some of the Alesis pads and adding Roland mesh heads to them.
                    My conundrum however, is that I already own a DM Pro from years ago and so dont want a DM5. I dont think Alesis sells the DM5 kit or USB kit without the module. If I bought the Alesis pads seperately and added a rack it would end up costing more than the kit they advertise.

Comment

Working...
                    X