Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Getting XP on-line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting XP on-line

I have a lot of respect for the members of this board so I'll ask you first. Everytime I install XP on my PC, stock installation of XP Pro, I can't get it connected to the web no matter what I do. Everything is hooked up properly, the same computer connects with Vista every time. What's the problem. I feel like a complete tool to ask, but I'm at wits end. Thank you in advance for anything you can tell me.
    Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Clarification...

I take it you've got a single PC... and you're trying to go with a 'dual boot' (Vista/XP Pro) set up... and want either operating system you boot into to access the web...?

Comment

No, I did the dual boot setup and it was very unstable, I just want to go back to XP because Vista sucks for audio and I'm tired of fighting with it.
      Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Hi jrcel,

What's the problem you're having with Vista? And which version of Vista?

I've had no issues with Vista Business 32 bit running a range of DAWs and Doh!s

Comment

The pc comes with vista or xp? Because you may need the proper drive for you network device to work in xp.

Comment

I run Vista Business 32 on my DAW and laptop...both don't give me any problems with recording audio. If you are not using an audio interface, that is most likely your problem...
            Dave
            Sonic Orb Studios
            My Youtube

My kit is custom running 10, 12, 14" toms, a 12" snare, 2 crash, 1 ride, 1 splash, and dual kick drum all plugged into a
            Roland TD-6V module which runs MIDI to Superior Drummer 2

Comment

Originally posted by TimothyLeary View Post
              The pc comes with vista or xp? Because you may need the proper drive for you network device to work in xp.
              I think Tim's onto something here.

BTW, I'm with you (Vader) on the whole Vista thing. A big bloated blob of an OS that has more to do with what Microsoft wants than what the consumber wants. I took Vista off my wife's computer and installed XP pro, requiring an extensive process of searching for and installing drivers to everything from the chipset to the display card. I doubt I would have been successful if not for the advice of my computer tech son-in-law.

I would start with the drivers for the Network Interface Card (if broadband) or modem (if dial-up), but it may not stop there.

Best of luck!
              Id rather be told the ugly truth than handed a pretty lie.

Comment

Right click on "My Computer". Click "Properties". Click "Device Manager". Scroll doewn the list and see if there is a Yellow exclamation point next to your listed NIC (assuming it's listed). If you see that, then you probably need to get the correct drivers.
                TD-12; TD-6V; FD-8; Hart Pro Toms, Snare, Bass; ECII hihat, crashes, splash & ride; Smartrigger crashes & china; Hart Hammer Pad; Pintech Dingbat; Iron Cobra double-bass.

"I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Vista 64bit came with the pc and none of my programs except the sequencers work with it so I tried 32 bit Vista. It's fine for recording and rendering audio but vst instruments in real time are a different thing. With thick sequences I'm setting the latency at 8ms and at that setting notes start to miss in Emulator X, any lower and noise starts, for playing the best latency is 4ms, that for my pc is unacceptable. I have it set to background services and apperance set to best performance. I'd like to go back to 64bit when Emulator X3 comes out because it'll be 64 bit native and should be a lot faster, but then my Fantom drivers won't work nor will Superior 2.0, Hypercanvas or LM-4 which contains the Wizoo kits that I use sometimes. I'm becomming more and more frustrated with software. The stuff sounds fantastic but I don't have a computer guy and Microsoft has dropped the ball big time with all this farting around with Vista and Windows 7 comming soon.

Comment

Well, you a have a 64 bit processor, you are running 32 bit vista and you want to use 32 bit XP?

Have you tried to install windows xp professional 64bit? Or search the drive for the xp?

See this page: http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...01033.mspx#ERC

Vista is really a pain in the ass OS.

Comment

Right now I just want to install XP Pro on my PC which isn't a problem, The problem is getting on line, I'm using a Linksys router and everything works fine on Vista because Vista is on line as soon as it's installed on your computer as long as you're hooked up. When XP is installed I can't get on line. I notice that IPv4 and IPv6 are not installed, only TCP/IP but nothing under it. Where can I get those drivers? Are they related to the BIOS or OS, I've done searches and I can't find any info at all which I find odd. Help.

Comment

It's driver related. You've yet to install the correct drivers for the system. The problem is in trying to get the correct updates/drivers after the system is installed. Most likely, you are going to have to try to find the 32bit drivers manually, download them, install your OS and then try to uninstall the network adapters and reinstall the new (32bit) drivers. It will take a little research to make sure you have everything in place before you begin.
                        Alan
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

This a job for Geekman! Call around to some local technicians and I bet they can get you set up. I was lucky (see above post).
                          Id rather be told the ugly truth than handed a pretty lie.

Comment

I agree with whoever said that it is likely a driver issue.
                            Check if the NIC driver is installed.
                            If it is, and there is no yellow exclamation mark, post again and I can give you a few more things to try.
                            Is you network card built on the motherboard, or is it a separate card?
                            Do you know the model of motherboard or PC you are using?

Comment

Thank you all for you help with this, dave, the ethernet is on the board, it's Intel g33 chipset on an Intel® Desktop Board DG33TL. I have a couple of old Gateway driver disks and I downloaded every driver update I could but I'm not sure which to use. I'll go back Intel and get the drivers. I'll let you know what happens, thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                              X