Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Is there Midi play along Drum notation software(Like Rock Band with notes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there Midi play along Drum notation software(Like Rock Band with notes)

Couldn't find any googling.

Just wondering if anyone has stumbled across any software for pc (Linux or Windows) that is similar to rock band or DTXmania but uses musical notation to play along too midi or dtx files etc.

I think there might be software for keyboards that might have this functionality but havenít seen anything for midi drums.

It would be cool to have the capability to use the v-drums as a practicing tool to hone reading skills and give feedback on accuracy in real-time as you miss/hit notes on a computer monitor. This would make learning to read music more interactive and fun.

Just curious if anyone has seen this or know of any on going projects working on this.

It would be like an interactive Finale that gave you feedback as you play.

Thanks!
    -JustFlam

Check out this thread:
    http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25155

read the whole thread (or at least skim it) There has been a lot of activity on it in the last few weeks.

I am using DTXMania to do just that. I have programmed in some rudiments for learning and stuff.. I am trying to make this tool be usable and friendly. Please don't hesitate to PM me with questions or what not.

It doesn't have notes, so I am not sure what you are asking there..

So, re-reading your question - I may have jumped the gun for helping you.. if so, sorry.
    Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX. Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.
    sigpichttp://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=353

Comment

Originally posted by JustFlam View Post
      Couldn't find any googling.
      Just wondering if anyone has stumbled across any software for pc (Linux or Windows) that is similar to rock band or DTXmania but uses musical notation to play along too midi or dtx files etc.

IMO, using a decent software sequencer like Cakewalk Sonar (e.g., home
      edition), is a much better practice tool, than the Rockband/DTXmania style conveyor belt. Just open Sonar, insert a midi track, import a midi file,
      click on the drum track of the midi file, and set view to "Staff Mode".
      On the staff, right click for "Layout", and choose "Percussion" under Staff Properties - Clef.
      When you hit play, you will see the notes light up and scroll as the song
      is played. This will actually help you to read actual drum charts, drum books,
      etc., (so will be MUCH more beneficial than reading the rockband blocks).
      PLUS, you will get SO many other benefits, like audio and midi recording,
      editing, etc.

Comment

Check out Band In A Box too. What it does is pretty self-evident implied by its name. I find it very handy for practice.
        Last edited by sciomako; 01-05-09, 11:21 PM.
        My compact kit.

Comment

Thanks for the tips.

I never thought of using midi as a tool to view drum music in an app like Sonar or Finale. That is a very good idea for developing my site reading skills Thanks!

I have been working to get better at reading drum charts/drum notation so this would be a great tool for that. I can read licks/grooves but I want to get better at reading full songs etc with lots of beat changes.

If they had a game that used the cakewalk style scrolling with a real staff and notes instead of the rockband style scrolling conveyor belt that would be amazing!! That is what I am looking for one day hopefully :]

-JustFlam

Comment

Yes, you are looking for Guitar Pro. Its absolutely brilliant. Although its aimed at guitar, and has nasty midi synthesis sound, you can usually find a half decent version of any song imaginable. It does not have accuracy reading or gaming type features, but it does give you a score to look at, and you can mute the drums and play freely along with the drumless song (something rockband is not very good at, imho), and is a great source for new beats and ideas.
            Last edited by Innovine; 08-09-09, 03:19 AM.

Comment

I just wanted to point out that Roland's DT-HD1 Drum Tutorial Software was announced just after this thread was started and answered; It does play along with drum notation for MIDI files, complete with real-time accuracy feedback from any module, and is now available for $79 (complete with USB-MIDI cable).

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Vectron View Post

IMO, using a decent software sequencer like Cakewalk Sonar (e.g., home
                edition), is a much better practice tool, than the Rockband/DTXmania style conveyor belt. Just open Sonar, insert a midi track, import a midi file,
                click on the drum track of the midi file, and set view to "Staff Mode".
                On the staff, right click for "Layout", and choose "Percussion" under Staff Properties - Clef.
                When you hit play, you will see the notes light up and scroll as the song
                is played. This will actually help you to read actual drum charts, drum books,
                etc., (so will be MUCH more beneficial than reading the rockband blocks).
                PLUS, you will get SO many other benefits, like audio and midi recording,
                editing, etc.
                Hey I have 2 questions for you. When you say "you will see the notes light up and scroll as the song is played." do you mean indicators to which drum pads to hit? (please forgive me if this sounds stupid but I'm a beginner that's looking for drum tutorial that's similar to garage band.). Also, would this work for FL studio as well? If so please give me details.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostman View Post
                  Check out this thread:
                  http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25155

read the whole thread (or at least skim it) There has been a lot of activity on it in the last few weeks.

I am using DTXMania to do just that. I have programmed in some rudiments for learning and stuff.. I am trying to make this tool be usable and friendly. Please don't hesitate to PM me with questions or what not.

It doesn't have notes, so I am not sure what you are asking there..

So, re-reading your question - I may have jumped the gun for helping you.. if so, sorry.
                  I just downloaded DTXmania but can't figure out how to install songs. I downloaded them to a separate folder but I'm unable to move it to the DTXManiaGR.exe like its support page says. Can you help me out?

Comment

Working...
                  X