Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Tried out for a band yesterday with my TD-3s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tried out for a band yesterday with my TD-3s

Every member had never had any experience with electronic sets, so I was a bit nervous. I found out they had a 500 watt PA head with 2 15"/horn cabinets. I brought my set along with a few cables and a tiny korg reverb unit.
    I hooked in and their jaws dropped. They couldnt believe the sound. We played through the 5 songs they told me to know, and kept commenting between songs how good I was and how good my drums sounded. I demonstrated only a few extra sounds, and one guy almost fell on the floor when I choked a cymbal.

Even with the 500 watt PA head and 15" woofers, the bass was lacking, and they still were impressed. I didnt feel I had enough say so to tell them to turn down(guitar and bass), however if they didnt like my sound I would have...of course I was furthest from the speakers and had the guitar cabinet and bass cabinet 5' from me VS the PA cabinets that were 20' away.

+1 for the TD-3s!!!!!!!
    TD-3 Vdrums with extra CY-8

Great story Mike! You left us hanging - have they invited you back?

I did a last minute fill-in for a drummer a few weeks ago at a small club, and the other players were amazed by the sounds as well, even though I've only got a td-6v. They did, however, refer to it a few days later as "your practice kit".
    "to get your playing more forceful, hit the drums harder" - keith moon

Comment

That's a brilliant story Mike and well done educating them. It was nice they commented on your skill as well, no one recorded it? we like to listen
      Nothing of importance here

Comment

Originally posted by kauaiplayer View Post
        Great story Mike! You left us hanging - have they invited you back?

I did a last minute fill-in for a drummer a few weeks ago at a small club, and the other players were amazed by the sounds as well, even though I've only got a td-6v. They did, however, refer to it a few days later as "your practice kit".
        Oh, well, lets just say today I was busy in photoshop designing a new logo for them
        YES.
        Plus, the drummer that used to play with these guys is a sound engineer, and just started law school. The singer was telling him about it, and the drummer said he got tired of lugging his drums around and thats a reason he quit before he went to law school and he should have thought of the vdrums. The other drummer was asking him if it were ddrums or Vdrums, the singer didnt know...but the drummer told him if I were using ddrums to look elsewhere, otherwise the V's would fit the bill...

Originally posted by Sook View Post
        That's a brilliant story Mike and well done educating them. It was nice they commented on your skill as well, no one recorded it? we like to listen
        It was just a practice, so nobody recorded. When we play live Ill be sure and grab a sound board recording.

Comment

Well done Mike on getting the gig with the vdrums!

Originally posted by MikeLa View Post
          Plus, the drummer that used to play with these guys is a sound engineer, and just started law school. The singer was telling him about it, and the drummer said he got tired of lugging his drums around and thats a reason he quit before he went to law school and he should have thought of the vdrums. The other drummer was asking him if it were ddrums or Vdrums, the singer didnt know...but the drummer told him if I were using ddrums to look elsewhere, otherwise the V's would fit the bill...
          I wouldn't listen to any former drummer who uses the "tired of lugging the kit around" excuse for giving up a band! Even with vdrums there is a certain amount of gear to lug around and they do take longer to setup as opposed to a 5 piece kit with 4 cymbals. He wishes he thought of vdrums, but was thoughtful enough to tell the singer that if you had used ddrums then look elsewhere??? He forgot about vdrums but suddenly is the expert on ddrums and vdrums?

Personally, I'd keep an eye on the former drummer situation. I've been in a band with a similar scenario as to what you've mentioned above i.e. drummer quit because of some lame excuse. Even though he had quit he still had some sort of influence over the band? This eventually ended up with him actually turning up to practices and sticking his oar in and then insisting I let him have a go on my kit in order to "show you something". This then led to him commenting on what drum fills would fit better etc etc. To cut a long story short, he wished he hadn't left and didn't expect the band to replace him. In the end I got tired of this guy and left to join another group. The guy in question then rejoined the band with his Premier Olympic (Made in Taiwan) and Paiste 100 cymbals! The cheeky b*stard used to make comments on my kit i.e. "cymbals don't sound very good" (Zildjian As & Ks) and "your toms look too jazzy" (Premier XPK)...the guy was a pr*ck!
          Last edited by drbeat; 01-05-09, 05:07 AM.
          :eek:

Comment

I'm telling ya, the more I read the more I second guess my GAS motives to upgrade my module. I play for me and me only but that still doesn't mean if I were king I would buy a new module.
            Well done Mike!
            TD9 Frankenkit

Comment

Right on Mike...good to see that they didn't have the whole "those aren't real drums" thing happening. Congrats!
              TD-12; TD-6V; FD-8; Hart Pro Toms, Snare, Bass; ECII hihat, crashes, splash & ride; Smartrigger crashes & china; Hart Hammer Pad; Pintech Dingbat; Iron Cobra double-bass.

"I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Originally posted by drbeat View Post
                Well done Mike on getting the gig with the vdrums!

I wouldn't listen to any former drummer who uses the "tired of lugging the kit around" excuse for giving up a band! Even with vdrums there is a certain amount of gear to lug around and they do take longer to setup as opposed to a 5 piece kit with 4 cymbals. He wishes he thought of vdrums, but was thoughtful enough to tell the singer that if you had used ddrums then look elsewhere??? He forgot about vdrums but suddenly is the expert on ddrums and vdrums?

Personally, I'd keep an eye on the former drummer situation. I've been in a band with a similar scenario as to what you've mentioned above i.e. drummer quit because of some lame excuse. Even though he had quit he still had some sort of influence over the band? This eventually ended up with him actually turning up to practices and sticking his oar in and then insisting I let him have a go on my kit in order to "show you something". This then led to him commenting on what drum fills would fit better etc etc. To cut a long story short, he wished he hadn't left and didn't expect the band to replace him. In the end I got tired of this guy and left to join another group. The guy in question then rejoined the band with his Premier Olympic (Made in Taiwan) and Paiste 100 cymbals! The cheeky b*stard used to make comments on my kit i.e. "cymbals don't sound very good" (Zildjian As & Ks) and "your toms look too jazzy" (Premier XPK)...the guy was a pr*ck!
                I hate to say it, but I could see that possibly happening in 3-4 years, but law school has him by the nuts. Although when hes a lawyer, when will he have time?

Im not worried, I remember recording him in a garage band back in 95. He does have massive talent, I will give him that. But, Im not taking any poop from anyone.

Ive been messing with re arranging the kit, making it look like Sean Kinneys kit...but only in the roland setup...SERIOUSLY thinking of buying an acoustic bass drum and mounting the bass drum pad inside of the drum and running only a front head. It would give the TD-3 a much more realistic look to them. I would have to get some 1 1/2" conduit to widen the rack by 3"s, but I think it would really look great.

Comment

Good job Mike. Congratulations!!!!
                  Roland Td-11KV, Alesis SamplePad, DW5000 pedal, Vater 7A sticks.

Comment

Working...
                  X