Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Problems when turning on the power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems when turning on the power

I was reading the TD-9 user manual before my new kit arrives and I found something alarming.

From the TD9 user manual: (p18) "After you turn on the power, do NOT touch any pads or pedals until the drum kit name has appeared in the display. Doing so can cause various problems."

Anyone tried this? What kind of problems are expected? Financial? Health problems? Problems in social relationships? Something else and even more serious? Please, let me know, as I have small childred in house and I don't want to cause any problems to them.
    - tuquoque

Interesting, Likely some sort of calibration or self test issue.
    Or perhaps doing so can cause the brain to become self aware and reset its programming to default “kill all humans” mode.
    TD-6v, (3x)CY-8, (4x)PD-8's (2x)PD-6's (1x)PD-80R (1)KD-8 http://www.cstoliker.com/Drums/

Comment

the pads will not trigger properly...there is NO repeat NO danger to your children...but curb your enthusiasm and let the module power up correctly to save yourself some aggravation...

any rumours of modules going beserk and spontaneously zapping people are just that, rumours.....
      TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
      ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
      not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

It's like one of those buttons with the sign "do not push", but I'm weak and I just can't stop myself. It's propably going to be the first thing I'll try with my new kit when it arrives, no matter what the consequences will be...
        - tuquoque

Comment

I believe you will cause a rift in the space-time continueum and be sucked into a deep black hole called GAS.

Comment

I always start mine up with my foot on the clutch...
            Just incase it's in gear... wouldn't want to run into the kit in front...

Comment

Best to disconnect it from the power supply before you turn it on.

Seriously though folks, you may interfere with the initial setup tests in the module resulting in the pads not triggering correctly. All the modules, as far as I'm aware, have something to this effect - often it's the hihat that is most affected.

Comment

The module guess though a very quick test and calibration mode at start up just to get itself triggering properly. I found that holding the pedal for the hi-hat usually will cause tracking problems until the power is reset.

The 6V loads up very quickly. You will hardly even notice the test sequence.
                Dave
                Sonic Orb Studios
                My Youtube

My kit is custom running 10, 12, 14" toms, a 12" snare, 2 crash, 1 ride, 1 splash, and dual kick drum all plugged into a
                Roland TD-6V module which runs MIDI to Superior Drummer 2

Comment

Originally posted by tuquoque View Post
                  It's like one of those buttons with the sign "do not push", but I'm weak and I just can't stop myself. It's propably going to be the first thing I'll try with my new kit when it arrives, no matter what the consequences will be...
                  I hope you do not extend this rule to include immersing the unit in water, dropping screws into it, or putting heavy weights on it!

some things were just meant not to be done!
                  TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
                  ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
                  not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

One of the big things that can go wrong is if you have your foot on the hat pedal while you power up. On the TD-6V this caused the hat to be open when the pedal was down and closed when up. Naturally I was very confused and slightly alarmed by this event...until I read the manual and found that this is what happens if you jacks with the pads during power up. I will assume that this can happen on the other modules as well, like your TD-9 and my TD-12, so I just leave everything alone until the module is fully on. I really should read the manual.
                    TD-12; TD-6V; FD-8; Hart Pro Toms, Snare, Bass; ECII hihat, crashes, splash & ride; Smartrigger crashes & china; Hart Hammer Pad; Pintech Dingbat; Iron Cobra double-bass.

"I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Originally posted by Fullback32 View Post
                      On the TD-6V this caused the hat to be open when the pedal was down and closed when up. Naturally I was very confused and slightly alarmed by this event...
                      That's because you bought an Australian module

Comment

Working...
                      X