Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Am I bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I bad?

I have been playing for around 15 years and although i think i am a fairly good drummer i have no clue when other drummers talk of the technical side of drumming. You see i have had no formal training and therfore know nothing of triplets, 4-4, 3-4 or anything like this and frankly it makes me feel slightly stupid. The funny thing is i just listen to a track a few times and i can play it but i feel i need to learn the more rudimentry side of drumming. Does anyone know of a decent online tutor that i can learn from to understand these. I just watched some Jonny Rabb vids and he made me feel like an amateur.....HELP!!

Darren,

It's a good thing to know the "language" of drumming, especially if you are going to play with other musicians. You would indeed get strange looks if they said, "OK, this is in 6/8" and you come in with 4/4.

The best suggestion I can make is Google it. There are more drum tutorial sites out there than you can shake a stick at. Obviously Johny Rabb is for later. You need to start with the 13 essential rudiments, basic time signatures, and basic types of beats (rock, shuffle, samba, polka, waltz, etc.). It may be a little tedious at first, but you do need to be conversant in the lexicon not only of drumming, but of music in general to be taken seriously by other musicians.
    Id rather be told the ugly truth than handed a pretty lie.

Comment

One book:

Understanding Rhythm by Michael Lauren. This will help A LOT.

Please trust me on this.
      TD-6V, TD-3, KD-8, PD-85BK (snare), PD-8 (T1, T2, T3), CY-8 (Crash 1-2, Ride), FD-8/CY-5 (Hi-Hat).

Comment

Ooooooh, You is BAAADDD, man !

Comment

Many video tutorials come with .pdf files explaining the riffs and with notation. You can also sign onto a famous drummer's website like Virgil Donati and learn from his/her tutorials. If you want to learn, there is a ton of resources out there.
          Music is not my passion, it's my obsession...
          www.oblyvion.com
          Facebook:[Scych]
          You Tube Scychful
          Twitter:@Raakinn

Comment

Originally posted by stickinthemud View Post
            You would indeed get strange looks if they said, "OK, this is in 6/8" and you come in with 4/4.
            But... that would work...

Comment

Originally posted by MisterMR View Post
              But... that would work...
              Especially if you are in a jazz band!
              Id rather be told the ugly truth than handed a pretty lie.

Comment

No mate your not bad. Your probably quite good, but like 99.9% of us guys on here, your not great and probably never will be.

So it dont matter. If you can hold your end up in a band and enjoy what your doing you've got to be doing OK.

I know my time signatures, but dont know much about the terminolgy of music and never did. I bluffed it out for 25 years, but if you want to learn thats good.

Comment

I agree with everyones response but I wouldn't let your lack of reading or understanding written music drag you down . One good thing I can say about you is you can admit you need to learn and that is far more than allot of musicians will admit. I am sure you are playing the things you are talking about you just don't know what they look like on paper or how to play them when asked to ..
                  Dennis Chambers is one of the greatest drummer alive in my opinion and he dosen't read at all . I read an article on him and he said he has no clue about notation and I think he has did pretty good for himself..

Zeke

Comment

I would venture a guess and say Johnny Rabb makes most people feel like amatuers.

http://tinyurl.com/My-E-kit

Comment

Darren i am excactly like you , i can't read music ,i don,t know what a notation is and also woNdering what 's a music sheet .However i would totally agree with stickenthemud many guys here have helped me about that when i had a similar thread.If you want to be a drummer musician you and i need to learn at least some basic things
                      Ex E-kits:
                      ''Lernean Hydra'' ( a bounche of roland pads with a td-6 module)
                      ''Lucy'' (Diamond electronic drums with a td-12 module)
                      current E-kit
                      ''Cherry Gretschy Lady'' (Gretsch Catalina Ash 6 piece A to E kit-Roland td20 module-A to E cymbals)

A-kit
                      " Mrs.Catalina'' (Gretsch Catalina maple 6 piece kit-Paiste signature+Masterwork custom made cymbals)

check out a few videos http://www.youtube.com/user/hampisdrums

Comment

Ah pshaw! There are plenty of good and even excellent drummers and other musicians that know nothing of music theory. Now it does so happen that I do know theory from my piano training as a kid. Did it help in any of the bands I played in? Yeah, to some degree, but when you are playing pretty much straight up hard rock, country (please forgive me for that), blues, or metal like I was in the four bands I played in, that stuff really didn't have a lot of bearing on what we were doing. We rarely played outside of the normal time signatures. I have no scientific proof, but I would suspect this is probably true for most folks. So unless you you have dreams of playing prog rock/metal or jazz, I wouldn't spend an inordinate amount of time on it. Get familiar with the basics - it definitely can't hurt and will help with your timing - and have fun.
                        TD-12; TD-6V; FD-8; Hart Pro Toms, Snare, Bass; ECII hihat, crashes, splash & ride; Smartrigger crashes & china; Hart Hammer Pad; Pintech Dingbat; Iron Cobra double-bass.

"I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

I have the same problem with both guitar and drums. The best thing to do would probably get some tutorial/guide books and read them through.
                          sigpic
                          TD-9K

Comment

I only started playing drums a short while ago, made a concerted effort to actually start learning music notation etc. rather than just pick up and start hitting things.

Years ago I learnt guitar without any formal training, knowing time signatures, reading music etc. and it didn't impact on my enjoyment at all when playing/gigging but I know how you feel; around musicians it just felt like I was out of the loop, a little like being at a book club when you've only just mastered ABC.

I'm still at the early stages (can't sight-read a sheet of music unless it's pretty basic) but I'm glad I'm doing it this way round this time round ;-)

Maybe also the fact I'm a lot older than when I played guitar has something to do with it? Not sure, I'm rambling now but bottom line, it can't hurt you to learn the stuff, might even enhance your enjoyment and also give you a fresh outlook on things you already knew!
                            My UPDATED TD9-KX - http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g5...0/P2240044.jpg

Comment

One of the great things about forums like these is that you can learn an incredible amount in a very short space of time. All you have to do is ask. And please don't feel stupid just because you don't know. When it comes to questions on here, yes, there have been some real doozies... but yet, people still answer them... but that's what's brilliant about this place (and others like it). There will always be someone on here that'll be able to answer your question, no matter what.

The other thing is, don't get hung up on not knowing 'music theory' or understanding 'odd time signatures' or knowing how to 'sight-read' and all that jazz. I've met drummers that can literally read fly $#it but can't 'jam' with other musicians or even play along to records, without notation in front of them. And worse... I've met some 'academically educated musicians' that become extremely snobby around players that aren't, even if those 'uneducated brutes' out-perform them.

Now, I read music... but get this:- In the 27 years I've been playing, I've only ever done ONE gig where I had to sight-read. And to be honest, you could've learnt it in 3 minutes...

And as has been mentioned on here already... Dennis 'The Menace' Chambers can't read a dot of music... but that hasn't stopped him blazing on his kit!

Comment

Working...
                              X