Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Phill collins - the drummer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phill collins - the drummer

Just wanted to get an opinion. I hear a lot on here about neil peart, ginger baker etc as the legends of drums, but never phil collins. I'm a relatively young guy (27) but i have always based my ability as a drummer since the age of 12 as being able to play tracks by phil especially in genesis. I see phil collins as being a brilliant technical drummer and i'm wondering if i am alone in this thinking?
    Please advise!

Daz

There are lots of great drummers out there and everyone has his or hers favourite, but I do agree with you. Phil Collins is a brilliant drummer, also with a unique sound and style.

I got the opportunity to watch Genesis several years ago (think it was -95), with Collins and Chester Thompson (another fantastic drummer) together and duelling. A great memory.
    2Box DrumIt Five, TDW-20BK , additional Kit Toys & Roland cymbals, 2Box, Pearl and Sonor pedals

Comment

on a by note, i after 15 years of playing only heard tom sawyer for the first time 2 days ago and think it is THE best song i have ever heard, no ****!! I reckon i should hopefully have the drums nailed in about another week hopefully, wish me luck, he he!!

Comment

Phil has always been a phenomenal drummer. I grew up listening to Genesis, getting my first record in 1972 - I was 14 and I had just started playing the drums seriously. He was a huge influence. although I have to admit that I don't like anything he's done since around 1977. I take that back. I like certain bits of Abacab and Face Value. But there's always hope - looks like the Lamb reunion may become a reality. Old Genesis fans will absolutely freak.

Steve
        No more V-drums; all acoustics now.

Comment

Are u kidding, you telling me you dont like playing the solo's on distant lights, or old medley. They are my favourites when i've had a few beers and the missis has gone to bed lol!"!

Comment

Originally posted by Darren B View Post
            Are u kidding, you telling me you dont like playing the solo's on distant lights, or old medley. They are my favourites when i've had a few beers and the missis has gone to bed lol!"!
            His drumming is always great. I just don't happen to care for Genesis' later music or most of his solo stuff. Brand X is another matter - all of that stuff with him is pretty good. Unorthodox Behavior will blow your mind, the drumming is so good.

Steve
            No more V-drums; all acoustics now.

Comment

I also think that since he became the 'front man' for Genesis his perceived drumming skills took a back seat and even more so as a solo artist.

I think he's a really interesting drummer (and a lefty as I recall). He seems very straight ahead - almost restrained thrashing.

The part I always wondered about is what it's like for the Chester Thompsons of the world - or the guy that plays lead trumpet in Maynerd Fergusons band. Wouldn't it be a drag knowing that some other guy (the frontman) was gonna sit in on the coolest songs and let you handle the rest? Still a paying gig but it must be odd.
              --------------------------------------------
              TD20, SPD-S, Alesis 12FW, Cubase, Yamaha 01V96v2, many video cameras, many keyboards, much drum junk.

Comment

Phil Collins can rip some serious grooves. Back when he played a small Gretsch kit in the early days of Genesis, he was throwing down some very tasty odd rhythms in some serious compositions.

His drum sound was later actually dialed in with gates (etc) by Peter Gabriel.

I don't care how cheesey his stuff is today (well yeah some of it is reaaalllly cheesey), but the guy is a consumate musician, and can throw down. And he always stayed on top of the electronic world of drums like a champ.

An overlooked great drummer as he assumed front man duties. Think of artists like Eric Clapton who begged him to play on such classic tracks like "Cocaine".

I'm with you.

The guy flat out has great feel.

He was immersed in Motown growing up.
                http://www.myspace.com/quadefinnigan

Comment

Brilliant on early Genesis, ****e afterwards, though he can still rip it of course!

Comment

Originally posted by Darren B View Post
                    Just wanted to get an opinion. I hear a lot on here about neil peart, ginger baker etc as the legends of drums, but never phil collins. I'm a relatively young guy (27) but i have always based my ability as a drummer since the age of 12 as being able to play tracks by phil especially in genesis. I see phil collins as being a brilliant technical drummer and i'm wondering if i am alone in this thinking?
                    Please advise!

Daz
                    Millions of people would agree with you ... musicality, style, groove, melodic inventive fills, making it look effortless - the guy can even sing and act!

Great benchmark
                    WEBSITE - http://www.diamondelectronicdrums.com/
                    YOUTUBE CHANNEL - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbVB...?feature=guide
                    FACEBOOK me at ... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...83235555050736
                    :eek: ...
                    Showcase 1 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=253
                    Showcase 2 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=354

Comment

Saw a Neil Peart interview a while back where he was talking about Phil. He could not understand why a descent drummer like Phil would give up drums for singing. I think he said something to the effect that even if I could sing, I would give that up to play drums.

I agree, I guess raw talent does not a drummer make.
                      TD-6v, (3x)CY-8, (4x)PD-8's (2x)PD-6's (1x)PD-80R (1)KD-8 http://www.cstoliker.com/Drums/

Comment

At one time Collins was one of my favorite drummers. I remember the Genesis movie with Bruford in "Sensurround". I had all of the Brand X albums (most made it to my CD collection).

But several years ago a friend of mine made an observation. Given all of the crap that Collins has been involved with since those times, his output has become a net negative. In all honesty, there are a couple of old Genesis tunes that Collins sang on that I simply can't listen to anymore. His voice makes me cringe. His earlier accomplishments stand for what they are, but today it's kind of depressing.

Comment

Phil The Shill

Maybe moving the the front of a band hurts a drummer, but this appearance as Phil The Shill in an episode of Miami Vice couldn't have helped

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0647106/
                          TD-20S Expanded + SPD_S
                          Intel 6800 Dual Core on Asus P5E3 Deluxe -

Comment

Phil was the reason I picked up the sticks in 1976, when I heard Wind & Wuthering. It changed my life
                            and that is no cliché - what I do in my life today was all shaped by Phil and my association with him
                            over the next 10 years or so as a fan and for a while, someone I was proud to call a friend.

I got a break in that during a warm up show for their 1980 Duke tour, I was lucky enough to meet him after
                            the show and we hit it off with a similar sense of humour and discussions about drumming.

I got to work with Genesis a little during the Abacab tour the following year and then was invited to work
                            on the Three Sides Live Tour in 1982.

It was over these years that Phil stepped out from behind the kit and became a megastar, but he
                            remained unchanged for many years and would pull over in his BMW for a chat if he saw me on the street.

His work with Genesis from 72 - 1982 along with his endless sessions with the likes of Brand X, Jack Lancaster,
                            Café Jacques, Rod Argent, Robert Fripp, Frida, Robert Plant etc etc, was simply stunning, nobody could touch
                            him in my books.

I'm not a fan of clinical drumming and his loose improv style and unique vision made him the best in the world for
                            me and this was long before the trade mark sound.

I recall him turning up for the Band Aid session, hearing the track and nailing it first take which totally blew
                            everyone there away.

Times have changed of course and as we all know, his fame took him away from the drums, although he seemed
                            to be heading back to his roots with the Big Band before he found Disney soundtrack cheques.

He seems distant these days, almost lost mainly due to the fact that and his minder keeps people at bay which is
                            a shame. He lost a lot of good friends along the way and I must confess to be saddened seeing him venting his
                            anger at his own inability to play old Genesis tracks at the rehearsals for the 2007 tour - turning up to day one
                            without any practice is such a turn around from the Phil of old that could almost do anything.

Despite all the bad press, he really is a great bloke. We have all made mistakes or done things we might regret,
                            but he seems to be punished more than others by the media.

As a result, he is sadly overlooked as a drummer now, but yet many of today's leading drummers acknowledge
                            their debt to Phil when interviewed about early influences.

He remains the guy who changed everything for me. I owe him so much for his inspiration, his kindness
                            and for being a friend for a while and I would dearly love to see him return to his roots as a drummer.
                            Last edited by Cuban; 01-03-09, 07:24 PM.

Comment

I got to see Genesis on the Mama tour and was totally blown away. He is an awesome Drummer and Front Man. He was very entertaining and funny. Me and my buddy had nose bleed seats so were forced by necessity to look for an alternative. We found ourselves sitting beside the stage, directly behind Phil's kit. The stage set up was such that Chester & Phil were almost facing each other from opposite sides of the stage while being angled out toward the audience of course.
                              Watching Phil from that perspective was a real treat. A little confusing because of his leftyness but was something I'll never forget.
                              Phil is a master groove player with some wicked chops to boot. Chester and him compliment each other really well.
                              Brand X is an excellent way to discover Phil's drumming without getting side tracked by the rest of his talents.
                              The blues are here to take me and to drag me down to hell...

Comment

Working...
                              X