Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Mixing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing question

I have this Behringer Xenyx 1204FX mixer and I am trying to figure out how to do this (if anyone can help)....

I have 2 inputs - a mic on input 1 and a stereo mix (my TD20) on input 5/6. I want the be able to hear both inputs through the headphones connected to the mixer but I only want the mic passing through to the actual main outputs. Basically I want to just monitor the inputs on 5/6 but I don't want that sound making it into the final mix. Can anyone tell me the secret? I'm hoping that this is a pretty generic thing that most mixers can do.

I've looked through the slim manual but can't make heads or tails on what to do. It took my a long time just to figure out how to get the mic working (I am a total newbie at mixers). Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

Mixers can be quite vexing.

Could you route the TD20 through the Alt 3-4 section and monitor it through the Alt 3-4 outputs on the back of the unit?
    Id rather be told the ugly truth than handed a pretty lie.

Comment

Originally posted by stickinthemud View Post
      Could you route the TD20 through the Alt 3-4 section and monitor it through the Alt 3-4 outputs on the back of the unit?
      I'll give that a try tomorrow. Do you think I'll still be able to hear the TD20 and the mic through the earphones set up that way? I remember back in my DJ'ing days I had a DJ mixer that would let me hear my 2nd turntable in my headphones only (to cue up songs) while the crowd would only hear the 1st turntable playing. Thats basically what I'm trying to accomplish here.

Thanks!!

Comment

Figured it out! All I had to do was channel the TD20 5/6 input to the Alt 3/4 output channel but I didn't connect anything to that output. Near the headphone volume knob is a button to allow you to monitor the Alt 3/4 channel as well as the main so now I can hear both in the headphones but only the mic comes out through the mains.

The trick was that I had to mute the TD20 5/6 input in order for the mixer to route that signal to the Alt 3/4 instead of the main out.

Now I know why I am a drummer and not a sound engineer....

Comment

Glad you got it worked out. I have a Tapco 12 channel mixer that I use from time to time. Love it, but man, figuring out how to pull little tricks like the one you did can get really challenging.

Here's a tip - keep a notebook on how to do all the various things you will end up figuring out. If you're like me, you will forget what you did a year later and have to figure it out all over again!
          Id rather be told the ugly truth than handed a pretty lie.

Comment

Working...
          X