Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

My 1 year anniversary of a return to drums....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1 year anniversary of a return to drums....

So, today marks the anniversary of my return to playing after a 27 year hiatus, as it was Christmas last year that I got my Hart kit (after seeking advice here first of course - and many thanks to V(ader) and Grog among others for aiming me at Hart).
    So what have I learned in that year?

1. This is one of the best forums of any kind I am a member of, and all of the people here are very fine indeed.
    2. You can have a long break, and lets face it 27 years qualifies!, and yet come back and play to a fair standard, with sucky timing, almost straight away.
    This surprised me a lot, but I'm glad it is the case, it sure saved a lot of re-learning!
    3. Age and physical strength make a huge difference to your technique, speed, control and application of the theories behind actually playing.
    4. V Drums are not silent!
    5. V Drums are very cool.
    6. GAS is a killer (though the time spent waiting for some stuff is worse, I'm still waiting for 2 toms and a cymbal after 4 months)
    7. I love drumming and will NEVER stop until I die.

Keep drumming my friends, and here's to many more years of chatting, drumming and GAS explosions.

Peace!

Congratulations on your anniversary...and have to agree with you full heartedly about, well, i was going to list the points i agree with, and realised that it is only number two that I dont have experience with!

so good on yer, mate!
    TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
    ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
    not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Congratulations Kev! I've noticed quite a few members that have returned to playing after a long separation. Funny how the instrument has a way of dragging you back. I've returned to drumming after a break of 5 years or so. I've taken breaks before, but none so long as this last one. Even on those breaks, I think I had always played in my head. Unfortunately, it didn't leave room for much else..

Agreed, this is a great community, full of new friends eager to share knowledge. I'm still amazed and delighted at the lack of trolls and trash-talk.

I'm 45 and a bit overweight. I don't exercise regularly, but I can't say that I haven't noticed that much of a decline in speed other than what was brought on by the layoff. I have noticed my endurance has suffered. This is probably age-related, as everything else seems to have either weakened, withered or fallen off. I don't really play metal however, which is probably pretty physically demanding.

I have found that just as in my 20's and 30's, I could play 24 hours a day if allowed. I never tire of practicing. I love that this is something I can share with my kids, but I'm cautious of pushing it on them.

As far as the last comment, I wish you the health and longevity required to continue to play as long as you want!
      "to get your playing more forceful, hit the drums harder" - keith moon

Comment

Because it's also my first year anniversary returning to drums (20th December) after a 20 year break i would also like to congratulate my friend kevH and add some more points on his list

1.The older you get the better you move around the kit and the better you grab the sticks (somehow you improve your grib).My sticks don;t fly anymore
        2.The more you read in this forum the better drummer you get (at least to me and i don't know why this happens)
        3.The more gigs you give, even in small bars with 15 people audience, the more experience you get and the faster you improve your skills (maybe it;s the stress you have before )
        4.Playing with a band helps you alot
        5.The more you read about GAS the more you get addicted
        6.I never thought i could learn so many things chatting with people all over the world i have never met but i am sure i could go out with them for a beer and have a great time
        7.The more you post here the better you improve your foreign languages (for non-english speakers)
        8.The more time you spend on the forum the less you practice unless you do both the same time

so many things in just a year,i hope and i wish next year there will be a new list
        keep rockin (and don't forget the international collab....nearly forgot that)
        Ex E-kits:
        ''Lernean Hydra'' ( a bounche of roland pads with a td-6 module)
        ''Lucy'' (Diamond electronic drums with a td-12 module)
        current E-kit
        ''Cherry Gretschy Lady'' (Gretsch Catalina Ash 6 piece A to E kit-Roland td20 module-A to E cymbals)

A-kit
        " Mrs.Catalina'' (Gretsch Catalina maple 6 piece kit-Paiste signature+Masterwork custom made cymbals)

check out a few videos http://www.youtube.com/user/hampisdrums

Comment

Originally posted by KevH View Post
          So, today marks the anniversary of my return to playing after a 27 year hiatus, as it was Christmas last year that I got my Hart kit (after seeking advice here first of course - and many thanks to V(ader) and Grog among others for aiming me at Hart).
          So what have I learned in that year?

1. This is one of the best forums of any kind I am a member of, and all of the people here are very fine indeed.
          2. You can have a long break, and lets face it 27 years qualifies!, and yet come back and play to a fair standard, with sucky timing, almost straight away.
          This surprised me a lot, but I'm glad it is the case, it sure saved a lot of re-learning!
          3. Age and physical strength make a huge difference to your technique, speed, control and application of the theories behind actually playing.
          4. V Drums are not silent!
          5. V Drums are very cool.
          6. GAS is a killer (though the time spent waiting for some stuff is worse, I'm still waiting for 2 toms and a cymbal after 4 months)
          7. I love drumming and will NEVER stop until I die.

Keep drumming my friends, and here's to many more years of chatting, drumming and GAS explosions.

Peace!
          Hey Kev. I did'nt realise you'd been out longer than me. Thats got to be a site record aint it. Its good to know your getting it back together. Its bloody hard work though.

If you need to discus back ache, tendonitis, joint pain, cronic ringing in the ears, Im your man.

The good thing is it dont hurt till after you've finished playing.

Comment

many thanks to V(ader) and Grog among others for aiming me at Hart
            Yep, we're kind of like vampires. We become Hart players. G.A.S. bites. More of you turn into Hart players.

Happy anniversary, dude! I'm looking forward to chatting at you for another year.

All the best.
            >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

So, today marks the anniversary of my return to playing after a 27 year hiatus...
              Man, I know that feeling - I went from 1974 to 2005 without having my own drums. I'd played mostly ones at military recreation centers - and they were usually not well cared for. Just didn't have the right circumstances to have my own for most of those years.

...This is one of the best forums of any kind I am a member of, and all of the people here are very fine indeed....
              Originally posted by kauaiplayer View Post
              ... Agreed, this is a great community...I'm still amazed and delighted at the lack of trolls and trash-talk...
              I wonder if us "Mod Squad Forum Nazis" have anything to do with that?

Hart Pro 6.4 (Hammered Chrome), Roland TD-8, Gibraltar Throne w/ Backrest, Tama Iron Cobra Bass Pedal, ALTEC A7-500 "Voice of the Theatre" Speaker/Horn System with Sunn Concert Slave amp and lot of other audio stuff, Sony MDR-7506 Headphones, Zildjian DipSticks - and Czech Skorpian, Heckler & Koch MP5, etc Submachine Guns to stick out the window behind my kit for some quite unique fills...

Comment

and because I am so ee-vil, you will die the slow way...under the drill!
                "to get your playing more forceful, hit the drums harder" - keith moon

Comment

I'm still amazed and delighted at the lack of trolls and trash-talk.
                  There's a reason some of us refer to the "bad old days" as, well, the bad old days.

This site is a great of example of how a moderated forum *can* work. And I say that as somebody who's had a few posts deleted in the past.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
                  TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

I agree with everything everybody is saying. Even grog, and we know he is a contentious b*st*rd who slaps a green price sticker on his head and thinks it's a Power Jewel.

Anyway, congratulations KevH. Here's to many more years of drumming.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
                      I agree with everything everybody is saying. Even grog, and we know he is a contentious b*st*rd who slaps a green price sticker on his head and thinks it's a Power Jewel.
                      If the mods would give me an animated avatar, I'd get rid of the green, sticky "power" jewel. But will they?

It's probably my fault, too grumpy.

TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Originally posted by grog View Post
                        If the mods would give me an animated avatar, I'd get rid of the green, sticky "power" jewel. But will they?

It's probably my fault, too grumpy.

If you persevere like Swaledale and continue in not-so-silent protest concerning animated avatars, you will overcome.

Congrats Kev on the anniversary.
                        TD-12; TD-6V; FD-8; Hart Pro Toms, Snare, Bass; ECII hihat, crashes, splash & ride; Smartrigger crashes & china; Hart Hammer Pad; Pintech Dingbat; Iron Cobra double-bass.

"I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Originally posted by hampis View Post
                          Because it's also my first year anniversary returning to drums (20th December) after a 20 year break i would also like to congratulate my friend kevH
                          We need to get t-shirts made up for the club... Congrats KevH and hampis!
                          31 years away for me and also celebrating my first year back. Who knows where we'd be now if we'd stuck with it all those years ago...

I'd also like to echo Kev's sentiments about this forum and the users here.
                          I've been a member of countless forums, and on the internet for more years than I care to remember, and I've yet to come across an oasis of fellowship, sharing, and good natured cameraderie such as is demonstrated here in spades. I like a good flame war as much as the next interweb toughguy, but it's always a pleasure to spend time here. The people here really make the difference, and I'm honored to count myself among you.
                          Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

[QUOTE=Sabre;358890]We need to get t-shirts made up for the club... Congrats KevH and hampis!
                            31 years away for me and also celebrating my first year back..

wow...i think you must be the holder of the long time record
                            you deserve the best congrats !
                            Ex E-kits:
                            ''Lernean Hydra'' ( a bounche of roland pads with a td-6 module)
                            ''Lucy'' (Diamond electronic drums with a td-12 module)
                            current E-kit
                            ''Cherry Gretschy Lady'' (Gretsch Catalina Ash 6 piece A to E kit-Roland td20 module-A to E cymbals)

A-kit
                            " Mrs.Catalina'' (Gretsch Catalina maple 6 piece kit-Paiste signature+Masterwork custom made cymbals)

check out a few videos http://www.youtube.com/user/hampisdrums

Comment

Working...
                            X