Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Combining Djembe African Hand Drums with V-Drums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combining Djembe African Hand Drums with V-Drums

Pretty interesting results, I added some equing to the lower end of the African Hand Drums to get some of that punch and then matched my kick drum to it. I used BFD 1.5 + Deluxe samples for the vdrums. This is what I ended up with:

http://digitalmusicians.net/?p=99

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

I assume you want objectivity, so here goes...

-The singer has a nice voice, and the song is pretty catchy.

-The lead guitar licks are truly killer and well-recorded.

-The vocals and acoustic guitar are also well-recorded and sound great.

However...

-The Djembe adds nothing to the song. It's pretty much aping the drum kit. The Djembe has a multitude of articulations and is designed for polyrhythms, I think a Djembe could work well in the song, but the part should be much more adventurous - work within and without the groove, don't copy it. Also, it sounds only mic'd from the top, or either the bottom mic is out of balance.

-I can't comment on the drums and bass, as they are drowned-out by the metal rhythm guitar. It sounds like a 12-year old kid who just learned power chords. Way too heavy and simple for the song, and reduces it to the mundane. The tone doesn't mix well with the lead parts either.

-I would keep the acoustic as the rhythm, and let that awesome lead player add some more terrific noodling. Interesting that he's a violinist - maybe he should add some of that as well.

Just one man's opinion.

Steve
    No more V-drums; all acoustics now.

Comment

Steve, you are right about the 12 year old playing guitar, to be honest with you this was basically a live recording, we were just jamming out to this girl's song on the spot, this is not a band and we never even rehearsed the song - the distorted guitar was the weaker link. I also agree with the guitar drowning the other instruments, it has a lot to do with not having a good guitar tone. I will experiment taking the guitar completely off and let the drums breathe more.

However, I disagree with the hand drums recording because I think is a matter of style. They wanted that distortion, punch and rhythm on the vdrums and hand drums instead of a more dynamic feel.

Thanks, keep 'em coming
      Last edited by dreamsound; 12-25-08, 01:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamsound View Post
        However, I disagree with the hand drums recording because I think is a matter of style. They wanted that distortion, punch and rhythm on the vdrums and hand drums instead of a more dynamic feel.
        Hey, nobody died and made me King.

I hope you understand that my comments were intended to be helpful, not derogatory. I think the piece has great potential and quite frankly, the core elements seem to be in place. I've recorded a fair amout of vocals and acoustic instruments in my day, and you did an excellent job. I think it's a good idea to bring the drums up in the mix. I've got the DLX pack myself, and am very pleased with it.

Happy Holidays.

Steve
        No more V-drums; all acoustics now.

Comment

I gotta' go with Relayer on this. The tones of the Djembe were lost and became irrelevant. If I were producing this, I would pull it out and leave room for the other instruments to breathe. Or I would use it for a poly rhythmic slap tone. As it is, it just muddies the mix.
          sigpic

Comment

Steve, actually I really appreciate your comments and the objectivity man. Michael, I agree, I think if I take the electric rhythm guitar out, turn the acoustic up a bit, and add more room for the top end of the Djembe it will sound better.
            Last edited by dreamsound; 12-25-08, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X