Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Boom in music video games helps original artists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boom in music video games helps original artists

I found this interesting. I know it has helped artists, and music exposure in general, however the industry thinks this will save them?
    I mean to put all of your eggs in this basket is asking for a hurtin... ii

===================================
    http://apnews.myway.com/article/20081221/D9573J280.html
    Last edited by paladin; 12-22-08, 01:31 PM.

Rockband is my favorite game of all times simply because I can go into its practice mode and record the audio while it plays the song with the drum track removed. I created so many practice songs like that for my real drum practices.

Comment

Originally posted by paladin View Post
      I found this interesting. I know it has helped artists, and music exposure in general, however the industry thinks this will save them?
      The music biz is trying anything they can to get back in the game now.

Maybe congress will help bail.... NAH!

Fact is a lot of the music industry needed to change their business model ages ago (listen up GM, Ford, Chrysler) but haven't kept up with technology and what people want.

It sucks that musicians get screwed over in the process of music exec.s finally getting with the program.

E
      - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

Originally posted by paladin View Post

===================================
        http://apnews.myway.com/article/20081221/D9573J280.html
        I read the article, assuming I retained most of it, I don't see where you get that the music industry is relying on Rock Band or Guitar Hero to save them.

There was a bar owner who said it was good for the industry... And a guy from Guitar Hero saying it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I didn't seem to get what you're getting. Did I miss it?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_ View Post
          I read the article, assuming I retained most of it, I don't see where you get that the music industry is relying on Rock Band or Guitar Hero to save them.

There was a bar owner who said it was good for the industry... And a guy from Guitar Hero saying it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I didn't seem to get what you're getting. Did I miss it?
          Sorry, there was nothing from anyone in the industry itself saying that.
          I meant the people commenting (thinking) like "It's a way to save the music industry," said Grant Lau, a 40-year-old bar worker who started the play-along night at the Hyperion three years ago for a friend who owns the bar."

I posted that way too fast I guess. ii
          Last edited by paladin; 12-22-08, 03:21 PM.

Comment

I think it's worthwhile to consider whether the terms "music industry" and "recording industry" should be lumped in together, as they often are.

Selling recordings seems to be where the "real" money is. I wonder if there is any segment of the music business where performance is the main money-maker.

Being a Realtor by profession, I get invited to parties thrown by the luxury home builders in the area. They always bring in a "corporate" band, and I have never seen them hawking CDs at their gigs, so I guess these musicians make their livings performing. Now, I suppose that they record for commercials and such, but their business model is a different critter than the "music biz" that is experiencing such upheaval these days.

Just out of curiousity, can anyone else cite examples of the "music industry" that is not part of the "recording industry"?
            Id rather be told the ugly truth than handed a pretty lie.

Comment

Originally posted by stickinthemud View Post
              I think it's worthwhile to consider whether the terms "music industry" and "recording industry" should be lumped in together, as they often are.

Selling recordings seems to be where the "real" money is. I wonder if there is any segment of the music business where performance is the main money-maker.

Being a Realtor by profession, I get invited to parties thrown by the luxury home builders in the area. They always bring in a "corporate" band, and I have never seen them hawking CDs at their gigs, so I guess these musicians make their livings performing. Now, I suppose that they record for commercials and such, but their business model is a different critter than the "music biz" that is experiencing such upheaval these days.

Just out of curiousity, can anyone else cite examples of the "music industry" that is not part of the "recording industry"?
              I can attest to the separation of music/recording industry.. I can tell you that coporate gigs make you a nice tidy payday.

Depends on the contact of course, but that can be anywhere from 1500-4000 usually to play for 2-3 hours. (Median being right about 2500 USD)

-Now...that's for a decent band..with a bit of a name etc etc. I work with one of the lead singers of this band: Hairbangers Ball. (not my cup of tea...but they put on a good show) He said that's a fairly average take for them.

E
              - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SheepFactory View Post
                Rockband is my favorite game of all times simply because I can go into its practice mode and record the audio while it plays the song with the drum track removed. I created so many practice songs like that for my real drum practices.
                I just got rock band 2 a few days ago and its ok but the free style mode is crud, you notice the delay from when you hit the pad to when you hear the sound and there's one tom to play.
                Dont even get me started on how they switched the position of the snare and hat...

I would hook up my good E-Kit of the game drums where not new...

oh yea, the stock pedal is the worst thing in the world...I have to rig something new up soon for that.
                Dave
                Sonic Orb Studios
                My Youtube

My kit is custom running 10, 12, 14" toms, a 12" snare, 2 crash, 1 ride, 1 splash, and dual kick drum all plugged into a
                Roland TD-6V module which runs MIDI to Superior Drummer 2

Comment

Working...
                X