Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

First time vdrum gig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time vdrum gig

Bizarre but true...I went to a club tonight to see a friend's band play. Their drummer flaked and pulled a no-show, so I ran home for my set. I literally picked up the entire kit and put it in the bed of my truck. I was back and set up in 30 minutes. It was not how I had envisioned my first e-kit gig, but it went pretty well. Everyone said the kit sounded great, and the two band members that hadn't heard vdrums prior to tonight were really impressed with the sound.

A few issues:
    I'll need to invest in some type of monitor, even if it's just a cheapie set of computer speakers. I heard only pad-smackin'.

I have a little 45 watt Roland amp, so the bottom end was a bit skimpy. I think I could fake it with a little tweaking, but there wasn't time. Maybe a 15" would do the trick....I smell GAS.

I need to take the time to do some serious cord management.

All in all it was great fun, considering I've had nightmares about this sort of scenario.
    "to get your playing more forceful, hit the drums harder" - keith moon

Nice job my friend!
    There's always an excuse for GAS!
    Search amps on the site, loads of good advice there.

Comment

Congratts. Sounds like you had a great time. Stage monitors are great idea for any gig. Just mix your v-drum in with those. I have found a decent 12 power speaker is usually sufficient. And if all else fails-headphones.
      TD-6v, (3x)CY-8, (4x)PD-8's (2x)PD-6's (1x)PD-80R (1)KD-8 http://www.cstoliker.com/Drums/

Comment

congrats on saving the gig for your friends! you must be really good to be able to just jump in the set and hold the right tempo - impressive!
        TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
        ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
        not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Great story. If you had been playing in your underwear, that would have been like my nightmares.

A good amp is essential to gigging. And building a cable loom can help speed up your setup immensely.
          sigpic

Comment

Well done for stepping into the breach! Sounds like you did an excellent job! I must admit that the one thing that attracted me to the TD9-KX was the DB connector as it does make life slightly easier, however; having individual channels would be nice for those gigs where I have more then an hour to setup the PA, lighting and drums.

A decent monitor for yourself is essential - whether that be in-ear or your very own wedge or PA speaker. I opted for a JBL G2 EON 15 PA speaker...does the job nicely. In the beginning I did try to rely on the stage monitors - wharfdale active 12's - but they needed to be wound up pretty loud in order for the drum sound to reach me. Unfortunatly, this meant that the drum sound was too loud for the other musos.
            :eek:

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. Saku-thankfully they're a blues band and it was mostly straight ahead 4/4 with few changes. We did end the night with Little Wing, which was fun.

Michael, I did actually play in my underwear...and what's a cable loom? Thanks man!

Comment

How cool is that "superman saves the day" and he wears his underware too , as for a loom it's a bunch of cords either pre made up or your existing cords all tied together so you don't have a cord fight on the night.
                I'd like to see an A kit micky'd up and running in 1/2 an hour (including pickup)
                Nothing of importance here

Comment

How 'bout it! Gigs used to be 'first one in, last one out'. Thanks for the help. I'm making little colored labels as we speak....

Comment

Originally posted by kauaiplayer View Post
                    and what's a cable loom? Thanks man!
                    Yeah, tell us more about this cable loom. I just purchased a TD-3 rack to try and speed up my set-up time (which it does but is somewhat overloaded). I'd love to hear any ideas about managing cables that might shave a few minutes.

Comment

I went to my local hardware store today, and picked up a bunch of 8" velcro cable ties. I labled each one at both ends, and bundled them at the brain end. I wrestled with the mess for about an hour, tying them in groups to the rack, but as the runs are different lengths I still have a bit of spaghetti left over. It's cleaner than it was, and short of cutting each one to length and resoldering the jacks I'm not sure how I could get it any cleaner.

Comment

Originally posted by kauaiplayer View Post
                        I went to my local hardware store today, and picked up a bunch of 8" velcro cable ties. I labled each one at both ends, and bundled them at the brain end. I wrestled with the mess for about an hour, tying them in groups to the rack, but as the runs are different lengths I still have a bit of spaghetti left over. It's cleaner than it was, and short of cutting each one to length and resoldering the jacks I'm not sure how I could get it any cleaner.

Go to an electronics store, even a mega-store (Orchard, Home Depot, etc.), and ask for "split-loom" or "flex-loom". That's the black, ribbed (no jokes, please) flexible tubing sold by the foot... (argh...) that has a slit down the entire length. It comes in different diameters to accommodate more or less cable mess.

Get your cables all wrapped together with your velcro, with the lengths where you want them, then wrap the whole deal in the split-loom. Extra cable can be inserted into the tube and double-backed on itself to take up the slack. The end result is a clean looking "conduit" with the cables nearly invisible except for where they poke out of the tube to attach to the the various pads.

I could take a picture of mine, if this description is too feeble...
                        *TDW-20* KD-8 w/Iron Cobra single, PD-125, PD-80R, VH-11, PD-8(X3), CY-12R/C, CY-8(X2), older MDS-6 rack with additional lower crossbar for support, Roc 'n' Soc Nitro, ATH-M50 and MDR-7506

Life is a tragedy to those who feel and a comedy to those who think...

Comment

Thanks for taking time out to explain that. No photo needed; your description was perfect. I'm off to HD tomorrow.

For pleasure for her....sorry man, couldn't resist.

Comment

I've done this as well and there are some other threads in here about this and other cable management ideas. Tougher one to search because there aren't any great search terms.

It's a good, low-cost, solution to a rats nest of cables. I also found that once I attached this "snake" to the rack and labeled both ends, it greatly decreased setup time.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
                            TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

You can use the velcro, but just start at the brain bundling as you go, back to the pads. Leave the slack for each pad in a coil or wrapped around the clamps or L-rods. I think you can see some of what I did in pics on my profile. Take some of the velcro and wrap the whole bundle, then take other pieces and velcro the bundle to the rack tubes. Leave a little slack where the rack folds.

The flex-loom is great too, but in my opinion a little more difficult to use if you want to replace or reposition a cable.

Managing the ends at the brain was discussed nicely in this thread:
                              http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...ghlight=cables

Shalom and aloha
                              Bruce

Comment

Working...
                              X