Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Computer problem!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer problem!

I've got a problem with my computer:
    When I do something that makes the CPU work hard (for example recording audio or visiting web-pages with lots of stuff/pictures in it), my computer just freezes or restarts itself. No blue screen, no error messages.

It isn't a virus because the problem has stayed even after I have formated.

Any computer experts here to help me?
    sigpic
    TD-9K

What computer is it? That way we may be able to help more. I'm your man if it's Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by KevH View Post
      What computer is it? That way we may be able to help more. I'm your man if it's Mac.
      It's a fairly old pre-built FujitsuSiemens desktop PC.

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3
      Memory: 1024MB RAM
      Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 256.0 MB
      sigpic
      TD-9K

Comment

Does your PC heat up when its working hard? Could it be a ventilation problem?

Comment

Originally posted by eric_B View Post
          Does your PC heat up when its working hard? Could it be a ventilation problem?
          It doesn't have to be hot to freeze/restart. It sometimes happens straight after I have turned my PC on and open some program.
          sigpic
          TD-9K

Comment

Maybe loose contacts? Did you try opening your pc and checking every cable and card is connected good?

Comment

Originally posted by eric_B View Post
              Maybe loose contacts? Did you try opening your pc and checking every cable and card is connected good?
              Haven't tried that yet. I'll check them, brb soon.
              sigpic
              TD-9K

Comment

Since when did the problem start to happen?

Sounds like PSU (faulty or not enough wattage) or motherboard (faulty) issue. But frankly, there are too many possibilities...

When I bought my Core2Duo 2 years ago, I had exactly the same problem. The machine rebooted by itself randomly. Originally I thought the CPU was overheated and playing up. Eventually I sent it back to the shop and the technician later told me it was the faulty PSU.

John
                My compact kit.

Comment

Didn't find any loose cables or broken wires there.

Originally posted by sciomako View Post
                  Since when did the problem start to happen?

Sounds like PSU (faulty or not enough wattage) or motherboard (faulty) issue. But frankly, there are too many possibilities...

When I bought my Core2Duo 2 years ago, I had exactly the same problem. The machine rebooted by itself randomly. Originally I thought the CPU was overheated and playing up. Eventually I sent it back to the shop and the technician later told me it was the faulty PSU.

John
                  It's been there at least for a year now and it has gone worse as the time has gone by. Sending it back to the shop to be analysed sounds like a good idea, I'll probably do that in near future.

Thanks for help guys.
                  sigpic
                  TD-9K

Comment

As Sciomako says, the power supply or motherboard would be the next parts to check, so better send it back to have it checked.

Comment

This is usually an overheating problem, usually the CPU or video card.
                      Make sure both have clean heat sinks/fans. Get an air duster and blow everything out in the computer. Check the case fan especially. You can also help it by adding small fans blowing at the CPU and video card even though they already have fans etc...

It could also be the PSU as stated above. I would try the cleaning first, then add some small fans. If this does not work borrow a PSU from someone and see if that helps.

Comment

Just fixed a laptop like this where it would randomly do this - sometimes seemingly not in correlation with anything. Turned out (at least so far) that because the CPU fan wouldn't kick on, it caused every process to take up way more CPU than normal - for example, taskmgr.exe, usually around 2% or so would run anywhere from 24% to 60% when the problem was happening. This lasted though a complete rebuild as well.

Interestingly, it didn't seem to be the heat itself that was causing the issue - more centered around when the fan should have been coming on, and Windows seemed confused by the fact that fan wasn't responding to the "turn on" command. Once it went into this mode, only a reboot would solve it. I haven't been able to reproduce the problem since replacing the ailing fan.

I'd go looking to the fan first. If it's not that, and it's lasted through a rebuild, it's probably a hardware problem. remove as many things from the case as you can and still have a bootable system and start adding one thing at a time until you can crash it again.

Hope that helps.
                        My Updated Website: https://blades.technology

Comment

Yea, as most have said, this is pointing to a ventilation/overheating/or fan issue. I doubt the PSU would let you turn it back on sometimes. Check your CPU fan and case fans for dust.
                          Alan
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

The 2nd problem here is that I'm not very familiar with computer hardware. I'm just afraid that if I pull something out of there I'll never get it back to it's place.
                            sigpic
                            TD-9K

Comment

Don't worry...just pay attention or make a note from where you unpluged what and you can't hurt anything to badly.

I literally just replaced a friends power supply, fan, RAM and harddrive at my desk at work today...and no I do not work in the IT field at all!!

Most of it is straight forward, just pay close attention to what goes where and you'll be ok.

E
                              - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X