Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

If you cannot post, please visit our Forum Talk forum for answers to more frequently asked questions.

Is your post missing? Please read forum descriptions & guidelines within before posting in the wrong forum.

See more
See less

Band has Imploded **UPDATE**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Band has Imploded **UPDATE**

Hi Guys,

Sorry I haven't been around much over the past 3 months but I've pretty much had my hands full with rebuilding my band.

So of you may recall the story that I posted here at http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43758 back in October. Well I thought it would be a great idea to give you all an update and also offer some encouragement to those who have found themselves in a similar situation!

Well it's been one hell of a ride I must admit! I've met and spoke to a lot of people and have managed to rebuild the line up as follows:

Drums: Me
    Lead Guitarist: a chap that I used to be in a band with 14 years ago. He came across my advert and did wonder if it was me!
    Female Vocalist: A lovely young laady who has the voice and the looks!
    Keyboardist: Another fine young lady with bags of talent and quality gear i.e. Korg and Roland Fantom G7 Keys
    Bassist: this guy is brand new with us and comes from an 80s tribute band.

The original bassist that I selected was a very talented guy and was the first person on board at the beginning of October. Unfortunatley, as time went on it became apparent that he wasn't the right guy so I sacked him go 4 weeks ago. He was displaying some qualities that I wasn't too keen on i.e. turning up an hour late to rehearsals, talking over people during rehearsals etc etc. He ended up going into a sulk at a rehearsal too which was the last straw for me...and which appalled the rest of the band too!

So we now have another guy in who seems up for it and of course is very good too!

We had our first gig last Saturday...this was the first since the split and had been booked since May!! Had a few slight problems though...our vocalist couldn't make it as she is commited to left-over bookings that she had as a solo artist. I'd known about this for a while so I arranged to book a professional Dep singer. Also, because I'd sacked the bassist I had to draft in our old bassist as there was nowhere near enough time for the new guy to learn the stuff!!!

So we did the gig as the sort of new line up with a singer that had never played with us before!!!!!! It went very well and no-one noticed anything! The client loved it and so did the guests!!!

We have another for this Saturday...another wedding! So hopefully it should go as well as last Saturdays!!!

So there you go, what a stressful 3 months! My primary concern has been these last 2 gigs of 2008 and through masses of rehearsals (without the dep) it seems to of paid off! The scary part was having this Dep arrive at the gigs and sing with a bunch of people she's never sung with before! But she did do a good job! I'd heard her sing before so wasn't worried about her voice...it was just her fitting in with us that I was bricking it about!

So there you go! We just need to get this gig out of the way and then we can concentrate on the new set etc and get it all sorted in time for February's gigs!!

Phew...
    :eek:

Well, I am glad the gig went well. From your headline I thought the band had fallen apart.
    sigpic

Comment

Its good to hear that it all worked out. I too thought it might be a story of a band break-up, but I'm glad it wasn't. Good luck with you future gigs.
      alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

Originally posted by drbeat View Post
        He was displaying some qualities that I wasn't too keen on i.e. turning up an hour late to rehearsals, talking over people during rehearsals etc etc. He ended up going into a sulk at a rehearsal too which was the last straw for me...and which appalled the rest of the band too!
        A bass player sulking? C'mon now, that is a trademark of being a bass player! (Nobody listens to me and my insightful inputs; nobody cares about my cool Geddy Lee like chops -- C'mon didn't you guys hear that cool bass lick I did there? What do you mean you just want me to string ride and stop all the syncopated bass patterns? A walking bass pattern IS cool here! I want to show off too! And my songs ARE good! -- the chicks all want the singer, lead guitar player and even the dumb old drummer; I wish I was a drummer, etc)

Congrats on getting the band going!
        Last edited by Fullback32; 12-18-08, 09:40 AM.
        TD-12; TD-6V; FD-8; Hart Pro Toms, Snare, Bass; ECII hihat, crashes, splash & ride; Smartrigger crashes & china; Hart Hammer Pad; Pintech Dingbat; Iron Cobra double-bass.

"I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Originally posted by Fullback32 View Post
          A bass player sulking? C'mon now, that is a trademark of being a bass player! (Nobody listens to me and my insightful inputs; nobody cares about my cool Geddy Lee like chops -- C'mon didn't you guys hear that cool bass lick I did there? What do you mean you just want me to string ride and stop all the syncopated bass patterns? A walking bass pattern IS cool here! I want to show off too! And my songs ARE good! -- the chicks all want the singer, lead guitar player and even the dumb old drummer; I wish I was a drummer, etc)

Congrats on getting the band going!
          LOL!

Cheers guys!

Comment

I'm glad you're getting things under control. After our band imploded a couple months ago I'm finding it difficult to consider doing it again. Someone likened it to a divorce, but I disagreed. It was more like being left at the altar.

Fortunately we weren't as far along as you with bookings or contracts to fulfill. I still poke around ads every once in a while and I've had a couple people call from previous try-outs but I'm still smarting and so taking my time. I've got a bassist and rhythm guitarist who'd like to start something, and just ran across a female vocalist that might work out. But she's young and hasn't been in a band before. Is it better to find experienced people or not?

Do you find older people or younger people easier to work with? I like hearing the reasons the other bassist didn't work out, so do you have any more on what you think works in a potential musician and what doesn't?

Shalom
            Bruce

Comment

Congrats brother!

I'm in the "new build" stage myself, but glad to hear it turned out well!!!

E
              - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

You have a female keyboardist?! I'm jealous. We'd like to add one more keyboard player to our band but finding a girl to play keys is like finding that elusive unicorn.

Comment

Originally posted by Mixxit View Post
                  but finding a girl to play keys is like finding that elusive unicorn.
                  I play keys, but I'm not currently available.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Bopper View Post
                    Do you find older people or younger people easier to work with? I like hearing the reasons the other bassist didn't work out, so do you have any more on what you think works in a potential musician and what doesn't?
                    Well people that can follow the script is most important to me. The previous line up were succesfull because we all had the same mindset. I'm basically applying and learning the lessons of the past with the new people. It's amazing how may people just want to be part of something that is organised and has a direction. In my view, I'm directing and driving it forward as I know what is required to be a hi-end gigging cover band.

Age makes no difference to me. The current line up ranges from 22 to 45. The previous bassist was older then me.

I've made everyone well aware - from the start - of what it is I'm trying to acheive. They like it and want to be part of it...cos it's gonna be fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Mixxit View Post
                      You have a female keyboardist?! I'm jealous. We'd like to add one more keyboard player to our band but finding a girl to play keys is like finding that elusive unicorn.
                      I had the same problem too...

so...

all I did was scout the local competition! A lot of bands make the mistake of putting the full name of their members on their website. In our case, I googled her name, found that she was a tutor so called her up...and the rest is history

One has to be pro-active in this game!

Comment

Originally posted by evil1rox View Post
                        Congrats brother!

I'm in the "new build" stage myself, but glad to hear it turned out well!!!

E
                        Many thanks, keep plugging away! It does- eventually - come together!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Bopper View Post
                          Is it better to find experienced people or not?
                          sorry Bruce, I missed this one!

It really depends on how she auditions! If she is inexperienced then you could view her as a clean slate - untouched by others. She may know what to do if she looks up to someone...it really does depend on the audition!

For me if they're keen, chatty and talented then what the heck! She'll develop as time goes on!

Give her a go...you have nothing to lose!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
                            Well, I am glad the gig went well. From your headline I thought the band had fallen apart.
                            Cheers Michael, love the new hair do BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by drbeat View Post
                              Hi Guys,

The scary part was having this Dep arrive at the gigs and sing with a bunch of people she's never sung with before! But she did do a good job! I'd heard her sing before so wasn't worried about her voice...it was just her fitting in with us that I was bricking it about!
                              Its an unknown quantity when you hire a Dep but generally speaking, these guys and girls have been round the block a few times and have seen it and done it all.

I dept for about 3 years before I gave it all up and knew I could take on anything that was thrown at me. I was'nt a great drummer but Id played most things in my drumming life and could feel any type of music. Also, over time you develope a 6th sense, and you can feel where things are heading and when a finish or fill is coming. I got more out of deping than I did playing in a regular band cause every gig was different.

Comment

Working...
                              X