Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snare height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snare height

Hey all

I recently started working on my traditional grip - look on Youtube for great info, just look for "metro drums", or "metro drum school". One thing I noticed is that for playing traditional grip, my snare seems to be standing to low. It seemed to me in the past, looking at e.g. Neil Peart, that his snare is set up really high. Anyone else noticed this, that when you play traditional grip, you apparantly set up your snare higher than when you play the other way?

Stijn
    'lectric drumma
    Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Hmmm, those videos look about normal to me. He's also got the practice pad sitting on top of the snare, so the playing surface is about 1-1/2 to 2 inches higher than normal. How low is your snare in relation to your legs/knees?

Comment

Originally posted by 'lectric drumma View Post
      Anyone else noticed this, that when you play traditional grip, you apparantly set up your snare higher than when you play the other way?
      You shouldn't have to. I use both 'traditional' and 'matched' grips and my snare height remains the same either way. In any case, if you're having difficulty adapting, your snare sounds like it may be set up too low.

Comment

I was typing this at work, and 've been playing since... I think one of the major problems is that I have a PD-6 next to my snare which is pretty close to the snare. I have my left hand stick a bit past halfway in my hand, and the part-not-hitting-the-snare seems to get to much near the PD-6 (yes, the left hand side of my kit is set-up pretty compact).

Anyway, I don't think my snare should be set up much higher. I think I'm gonna get rimshots all the time when I play matched grip if I set it up much higher. Or I míght set it up more at an angle.

For anyone interested, I meant these video's:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwcBp0ovE9A
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeNaZAQv4hU

Looking at it, while posting... If I look at the 2nd video, well, my snare really isn't set up that high... Looking at your video's on Youtube Martin, I think it's set up lower as your's as well... It's set up a bit angled, but still with the lowest part +/- 4 cm above my knees. I'm sitting further away from it though...

Stijn
        'lectric drumma
        Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

I always gauged the snare height by doing a rim shot. When hittng the rim and head together, my knuckles would just hit my thigh.

Comment

Working...
          X