Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dave Weckl,How to practice video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave Weckl,How to practice video

On the How to practice video. I do not understand the Swiss Triplet section.Most definitely when He says Add 1 . Totally lost. Could someone please explain this I would love to get this down.

Thank You in advance.
    TD -10 EXP V-PRO, TD-12 module,HPD-15,SPD-30 ,SPD-SX dual trigger toms,upgraded V-cymbals Korg Karma,M-3, Pearl Eliminator DBL pedals,KD-120, Sonor Maple acoustic, Zildjian Cymbals
    Gene Krupa,Mitch Mitchell,Akira Jimbo,Milos Meier

Do you have a link to the video?

------------------------------------------------
    Roland TD6-KW+VEX's

Comment

I believe he is adding the additional (1) therefore rather than the triplet feel, it will be in a 16th feel. flam e and a flam e and a...

Comment

He calls it swiss triplet phrasing.It (is not) a flam or a flam triplet.He goes onto say it is a triplet with double strokes.
        as far as a link there are only links to the dvd itself no you tube that I have found. yet
        TD -10 EXP V-PRO, TD-12 module,HPD-15,SPD-30 ,SPD-SX dual trigger toms,upgraded V-cymbals Korg Karma,M-3, Pearl Eliminator DBL pedals,KD-120, Sonor Maple acoustic, Zildjian Cymbals

Comment

Yes, it's a Swiss triplet but he's just breaking the parts over the snare and ride thus making the double stroke on each limb effect.

As far as the extra beat, he's trying to show you a polyrhthm that produces a 3:4 effect. This is common in jazz and latin rhythms but somewhat advanced if you've never been exposed to it. You can play any combination of beats against the quarter note but it's the accent that makes the polyrhthm sound musical.

Comment

could you break it down using R & L and how to count it with and without the extra or added 1.

Comment

(R)RL(R)RL(R)RL(R)RL(R)RLF then down beat is one. Flam is on the first right stroke of every three beat phrase So if you played swiss triplets in triplet form ,your left hand would play a shuffle, while your right hand would play 1 trip. I beleive since you are taking a three beat phrase and putting it into a space of 16 sixteenth notes it doesn't divide equally, so you have 5 groups of three PLUS one. The plus one he is talking about is the foot on the the last sixteenth of 4. OR you could start the fill on the downbeat of 2 and it would divide equally into three beats, therefore landing you square on beat 1. My suggestion would be to practice this 4 over three polyrhythm with a metronome until you internalize and can sing it. It is a pretty common rhythm even in rock and pop songs, especially fills.
              Sounds confusing but thats the best way I could think of explaining it. Hope it helps
              Lou

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GsB530PL5E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEope5aaDnk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BCo3...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRjIf...e=channel_page

Comment

Fiqured the first part of this out if anyone is interested I will explain it. For me this is some very cool [email protected]*&%^t. I wish I had this to practise and contemplate long long ago.

Comment

Yes please, logan!
                  My compact kit.

Comment

He calls it swiss triplet phrasing.It (is not) a flam or a flam triplet.He goes onto say it is a triplet with double strokes.

My Bad of course he was correct it is a flam triplet. That said here it is I will explain this in simple terms no dis intended.

#1 slow count 1/4 notes R is on ride cymbal L on snare. counted 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 Flam R & L. so the R & L come down on one. R a little before the L creating the flam. flam R L flam R L flam R L etc. 123 123 123 123

#2 so your R hand is going 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 dbl stroke ok. now alternate your R hand 1 is on the Ride 2 is on the snare.
                    your L hand on the snare 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2
                    OK again slowed down 1 both hands RL 1 both hands RL 1 both hands RL

#3 add HH, Play the HH on the 1 and the first beat 1 on the ride, first beat 1 on snare.So HH R hand Ride and L hand snare all on 1 2 and 3 on snare.

#4 this is where it gets tricky.while counting the triplet feel 123 123 123 123 take your left hand DBL move it off the snare and on the first mounted tom second left hand DBL to your second mounted tom.( this is assuming you have 2 mounted toms). This is how it is demonstrated in the video.

sounds like 123 123 12 tom tom tom tom 23 123 12 tom tom tom tom 23 123 12 tom tom tom tom 23 123 12 tom tom tom tom 23 123 12 tom tom tom tom etc.. this is the basic rhythm you can replace the toms with some bass drum back to the toms and mix it up with the rest of your kit at will at this point and go from there. ENJOY!!
                    Last edited by logan; 12-15-08, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X