Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recent Successful Gigs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent Successful Gigs

Just want to share that I'm not all about studio, computers and VSTs.

As some may know, I play bass in two bands (not drums) and I'm just kind of wondering, does being in your 30's mean you are taken more seriously on the circuit? The gigs have been getting really good for me in the past 2 years (pay and fun). When I was in my early 20's, gigging was nothing but frustration and attitude, but now it seems everyone I'm around just wants to put on a good professional show. Maybe it just took me this long to find these people. Anyone else experience this?

The metal band I'm in ( http://www.myspace.com/HateFX ) just had a show opening for "Five Finger Death Punch" and others this past Saturday. About 1100 in attendance at an old cinema theater. What a great experience. One of the most professional and hard-working stage, sound and light crew I've ever experienced. Even when they had to replace the mains entirely during the 3:00 PM sound check, the show started right on time. Unfortunately, the photos of our 30 min set did not come very clear:

And I just found a video from the summer of the other band I perform in .. the Elvis Tribute Act. This is a very fun band to play in and lets me play a totally different style. Plus, the crowds have always been large and enthusiastic. We have a gig coming up at Circus Circus in Reno which ought to be a lot of fun:

Not too shabby for a camcorder sound (even YouTube compressed) .. a testimony again to the professional work of the sound crew.

Thanks for letting me share. This is the only forum on the web I am really active in.
    Last edited by Joe_K; 11-28-08, 07:57 PM.

| Argos | Your Cloud | Lost In Germany | Life Wasted | Identity Crisis
    | The Xerophyte | Red Barchetta | Subdivisions or Drums Only |

Superior Drummer w/ Metal Foundry, dfhS samples and Platinum Samples Evil Drums.

I'm just full of envy Joe, well done. btw on your webpage the song automatically plays but when I try to play another the default song won't go away (could be my lack of net knowledge) . That's a big sound..awesome. And everything gets better the older you get !.
    Nothing of importance here

Comment

You said a mouthful with the maturity angle on professional musicianship. It seems a hallmark of being young is being cocky - that you know everything and that you are invincible. After a number of times of being dead wrong and seeing a few friends go down in flames, you gain a little humility. Then you begin to realize that the music is the most important thing and you push your ego to the side. That's when things really start happening, and this goes for any endeavor, not just music.

Comment

Originally posted by Sook View Post
        I'm just full of envy Joe, well done. btw on your webpage the song automatically plays but when I try to play another the default song won't go away (could be my lack of net knowledge) . That's a big sound..awesome. And everything gets better the older you get !.
        Thanks. I've also had some audio glitches with the player on the band's site, don't know why (a song starting and not stopping when I press pause or try to move to another song. I remember that happened one time). On my Myspace page, I've never experienced that (but my personal page is much simpler).
        Last edited by Joe_K; 11-28-08, 08:00 PM.

Superior Drummer w/ Metal Foundry, dfhS samples and Platinum Samples Evil Drums.

Comment

Originally posted by stickinthemud View Post
          You said a mouthful with the maturity angle on professional musicianship. It seems a hallmark of being young is being cocky - that you know everything and that you are invincible. After a number of times of being dead wrong and seeing a few friends go down in flames, you gain a little humility. Then you begin to realize that the music is the most important thing and you push your ego to the side. That's when things really start happening, and this goes for any endeavor, not just music.
          The most difficult thing when I was in my early 20s was finding and keeping a whole band together of reasonably dependable people. I was usually working with one other person who could be counted on, but not 3 or 5. Later, as in any endeavor as you said, it becomes easier for people to interact, depend on each other, to see what is BS and what is not, and be more easy going about things (while still understanding that to succeed and continue the fun, this must be a business).

I'm still amazed now that at every rehearsal ... everyone shows up when they agree to! And no one gets high or drunk. If it had been like this up to the point when I stopped at 24, I would have gladly continued. I wish I would have known it would get better. But, when I did get back into gigging 2 years ago, the first group I hooked up with were exactly like my experiences from my youth and I was thinking, "nothing has changed and I'm too old for this crap." ... but I'm glad that didn't stop me, because the next opportunities were a huge change.

Comment

I'm jealous, Joe. Here in Philly (I don't live in the city, in the nicer 'burbs but close enough) there is no music scene. It's all cover bands and macho meathead rock and metal. Don't get me wrong, I love my rock and metal (I'm a music teacher at the real-life School of Rock) but I play indie stuff, melodic and for all intents and purposes, mellow... and there is no scene here. If you're lucky enough to get one gig, you may get $10 in gas money, and no one will listen to you, anyway.

Down in FL it was a lot easier for me to get gigs... I move up here four years ago and the opportunities went from minimal (FL) to non-existent.

You're lucky to have such good opportunities. One of the reasons I live in my recording studio is because it's so hopeless out there. I make more money selling CDs on cdbaby and itunes than I ever have playing shows. Though I miss the stage... it's also tough to put on a good show when you're in an indie duo.

-Chris
            Toontrack Superior Drummer 3.0 / Reaper 5+6
            DIY hybrid kit (Sonor kit / Roland / Yamaha, DDT MS-140c snare, etc)
            Roland TD-9 / eDRUMin
            youtube.com/chriscauldermusic

Comment

Originally posted by stickinthemud View Post
              Well spoken. The thing is that when you get a little older, you do drop some of the attitude and other people notice that. If you are fortunate enough, all the other band members focus on the music like you do, so suddenly, everyone is working together.

I my younger days, we all spent way too much energy on showing off and NOT listening to anyone else. A lot of musicians would come and go because everyone had to move on. I think they were all thinking "there will be some better band just around the corner", so they never wanted to stay or make some effort to actually BUILD a better band. I think, we all thought, that all this "glory and fame" would just be handed to us. All we needed to do was to find a better band.

Later, all that seemed to change gradually. If I were to join a new band today, I would look at the "ego" of the band members... If there is too much of that, I will tell them how I feel. If that doesn't help, I would walk away.
              Ask not whether something is useful -- ask what it is useful for.

Roland TD-12, Iron Cobra hihat stand and bass-drum pedal from TAMA. My accoustic kit is a Yamaha Power-V Birch with Paiste Alpha-series splashes, crashes, and hihat. My ride is a Zildjan Ping Ride, 20" I think.

Check out my TD-12 on Youtube. My page is here http://www.youtube.com/HerlPearl.

Comment

Originally posted by bcmusic View Post
                I'm jealous, Joe. Here in Philly (I don't live in the city, in the nicer 'burbs but close enough) there is no music scene. It's all cover bands and macho meathead rock and metal.
                Here (halfway between SF and LA), there is a lot of what you would find in any town. Coverbands and metal. Though indie/acoustic stuff is going on down here, but only in one very particular district. Several very good artists, but you have to go to the cafes and late-night restaurants to hear it.

I've been trying to be as adaptable as my tastes will allow, in order to find the quality work.

Originally posted by bcmusic View Post
                One of the reasons I live in my recording studio is because it's so hopeless out there. I make more money selling CDs on cdbaby and itunes than I ever have playing shows. Though I miss the stage... it's also tough to put on a good show when you're in an indie duo.
                It is nice to have that as an outlet these day too. I want to find more time to put a project of my own on CD some day.

I was in the process this year of putting together a blues/ jazz duo with a very talented singer. It didn't come to fruition, but we made some nice demo recordings. That was unfortunate, because we would have been gigging regularly (she makes a living in music already, but in a full band and as a vocal teacher). What the heck, here is something we recorded early on as a test. The vocal track was a one-take improvised scratch track we were going to replace at some point (my original track was just guitar, but a later made it into a guitar and a bass):

http://www.rockdebris.com/audio/samp...eothertime.mp3

Comment

Working...
                X