Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

shutting vdrums up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shutting vdrums up

does anyone have any idea how to acoustically decouple a vdrum set from the floor? i got it so i could play in my flat but the neighbors still think i'm "stamping on the floor a lot" - it's alrady on a load of foam & cardboard, and i only use headphones.

any thoughts?
    "My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met."

From my modest experience, a good solution would be the process that is called " a box in a box". But in your case, with the downstairs neighbours complaining, it would only involve placing your kit on some kind of (wooden) platform, between 20 to 30 cm over the floor, with nothing under it. That should eliminate the contact with the floor, therefore, no more stamping.
    Nabil

Comment

But doesn't the platform contact the floor? Or do you use antigravity furniture pads underneath it??

Comment

It does contact the floor! but with no more than 4 legs. And those can be covered with foam too. The point is to separate the impact points from the floor ie the actual drums and rack. If I had anti- grav pads, Id probably use them to go practise somewhere in the clouds
        Last edited by postnuklear; 08-01-02, 06:24 PM.
        Nabil

Comment

more importantly,do you use a kd-7 or the like,or do you use a kd-120 style kick drum?.
          -i can levitate birds and no one cares-----------V-CONCERT,CY12H-CY15R/SPD-20-XP-60 V-STUDIO 1824CD,DAUZ PADS,NO RYTHYM AND MISC.CRAP 9"HART SPLASH/AKAI S5000/ASSLOAD OF SAMPLES

Comment

Re: shutting vdrums up

Originally posted by ...andrelax
            does anyone have any idea how to acoustically decouple a vdrum set from the floor? i got it so i could play in my flat but the neighbors still think i'm "stamping on the floor a lot" - it's alrady on a load of foam & cardboard, and i only use headphones.

any thoughts?
            I mentioned it before, there more threads on this single problem.

In the Netherlands in playgrounds there are soft tiles on the floor underneath the climbing racks for the kids. I got one of those tiles (a new one ), sawed in it two and placed it under my pedals. In my situation the problem was solved.

Ronald

Comment

Re: Re: shutting vdrums up

thanks everyone. i hear boeing is working on a russian idea for gravity shielding, so an antigrav pad may be possible after all....
              it's the kd80 that's the worst culprit, i can see myself disappearing in a sea of foam, bubblewrap and boxsprings.
              i think the table platform idea wouldn't work because it would simply concentrate the force onto a few points like a high heel shoe.
              ho hum. maybe another tack, like beer for the neighbors when i practice...

Comment

OK, a show of hands of those who, after reading the name of this thread, thought that it was going to be someone with a gripe about Vdrums.com?
                (((hand raised)))
                Boom Theory Spacemuffins
                TD6
                HDI Cymbals

Comment

Originally posted by Toekneedrum
                  OK, a show of hands of those who, after reading the name of this thread, thought that it was going to be someone with a gripe about Vdrums.com?
                  (((hand raised)))
                  ditto!

Comment

Originally posted by Toekneedrum
                    (((hand raised)))
                    noooooooo!
                    sorry to wind you up, it was an important question for me though - i'm in a teeny london flat with thin walls and have gotta practice ...

Comment

Originally posted by Ranman

Look 'em square in the eye and say "Yeah? Well I gave up my acoustics and brass cymbals for you, so stuff it!" And if that doesn't work... buy 'em a keg.
                      --my fave answer so far.
                      kit is now 6" off the ground with packing foam, bubble wrap & cardboard. it's wobbly but so are most things i construct...

Comment

lol.........wobbly........lol.
                        -i can levitate birds and no one cares-----------V-CONCERT,CY12H-CY15R/SPD-20-XP-60 V-STUDIO 1824CD,DAUZ PADS,NO RYTHYM AND MISC.CRAP 9"HART SPLASH/AKAI S5000/ASSLOAD OF SAMPLES

Comment

Working...
                        X