Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Drum Corp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum Corp

As it turns out, I wont be able to play and take lessons as I planned. The wife is still in school preparing for medical school and we figured it wouldnt be practical right now to buy an ekit. We also live apart a few months a year so travel time would kill me. So, I plan on learning how to read and just keep a pad and snare drum around and become as good as possible on the snare until I can go all out and do it right. I enjoy watching drum corp and learning on just a snare for now will atleast get me started with fundementals and reading.
    In time, when my wife is pulling in serious money, we agreed to set up a "drum" room where I will be able to really get into it full time. Does anyone agree that working with just a snare for now and learning how to read will help any? I'm also going to play my accoustic set once in awhile at my parents house. Sorry for the life story.....the only frustrating part of drums is the environment and time you must have!! AAAAHHH!!!!!

Drum Corps Rules!

Listening to the beats that a line throws down on a snare, set of tenors, or a bass line will get you thinking often in a different state of mind than if you're just stuck to the set.

Just yesterday I read that the Cavaliers of Rosemont, IL released a new parking lot video of all thier warmups from the 4 Corners/2001 show. The Blue Devils also have a great percussion video that shows them over the years, warmups and all.

There was a post earlier about someone saying they were in a drumming rut... I think getting off the set and sitting down just with a snare and trying to lay down those beats will teach you tons.

Lots of marching percussion people can't play set well, and lots of set people couldn't even begin to figure out how to play the rudimental beats of a drum corps percussionist. But think if you could do both?

Of course, i'm biased... I marched corps, and still a HUGE fan. Hope to see some of you next weekend in Madison, WI for the Drum Corps International championships!

Gabe
    Gabe Kangas
    DM5, D4, PD80R, CY-15, CY-6, Visu-lite Ride, DauZ's, Random Pintech stuff, BBE 362.

www.spasticsrecords.com/real-ity

Comment

I agree with Gabe. When I watch TV I have a practice pad on my coffee table and play. You can practice on a pillow if you want.

I think knowing how to read(music) is important. My band backs different acts and if someone didn't know how to read, we would not get those jobs. Your plan seems sound to me. Also, don't let anyone talk you out of your plan/dream. I hate when I hear people want to do something and then are talked out of it.

Good Luck,
      Isosceles

Comment

You're right on track regarding your future and present. I was in the Navy for 8 years and being out to sea months at a time (submarines) only left me the option of a practice pad, my sticks and lots of drum books. I was able to keep my reading skills and rudiments up to par, and still drive the Russian sonor techs crazy (I think my underwater drumming caused the collapse of the Soviet Union) . Being able to still 'pound' out a beat helped keep my fire and passion for drums alive for over a decade. If drumming is in you, then take advantage of any opportunity to hone your skills, knowing that it's only a matter of time before you will have the opportunity to drum any time and anywhere.
        Driving a great song is better than driving a great car!!

http://mysite.verizon.net/landin82/

Comment

Re: Drum Corp

Originally posted by mbrg
          ...Does anyone agree that working with just a snare for now and learning how to read will help any?
          YES! Just stick with it dude. Your time will come, and you'll be ready!

Comment

That was all I was going to say, but as I kept thinking about it, I wanted to add this. I gave 21 years to the Army, and many and long were the times when I had no access whatsoever to drums of any kind. I always found room for a pair of sticks and a pad, even humped them into Afghanistan and Iraq in a ruck, and they kept me loose, practiced and motivated (and in many cases, sane). What I'm trying to say is, TomLandin is exactly right. At those times when I couldnt' get anywhere near a real drum, those sticks and that pad were enough. Even now I keep sticks and a pad by the couch all the time, and never go anywhere for long without them. Stick with it, man, and play whatcha got. What matters is that you play.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Rythmstick is the man. 21years in the Army. I have great respect for US military personel. They should be paid more and we should thank everyone of them for putting there life on the line!
              I agree with everything you said. For now, the drum pad/snare drum will do. I might even pick up a few congos.....

Comment

Originally posted by mbrg
                I have great respect for US military personel. They should be paid more and we should thank everyone of them for putting there life on the line!

(......) speakless
                Robert

Comment

Speakless? What are you trying to imply?

Comment

Working...
                  X