Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E-cymbals and TD-8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-cymbals and TD-8

Hi all,

I know this has been asked before, but I'm considering replacing my PD-7's and PD-9's with some better-feeling cymbal pads. I really don't want to spend the money on the Roland V-Cymbals and, besides, the TD-8 can't even take full advantage of them (positional sensing on the ride). I was, however considering either the CY-6 or Hart's e-cymbals. I'm curious if either of these products will allow me to trigger separate BELL and BOW sounds (not EDGE and BOW) and if the Hart cymbals have a stereo output or two mono outs (which, obviously, wouldn't work with the TD-8). I tried the CY-6 at SamAsh, but couldn't get it to work properly, even with the upgraded TD-10 (but neither did the v-cymbals on the same module at that store). Does anyone have any experience with any of this?

Thanks,

Nick

"too loud, too late"
    My mom, circa 1974 (before v-drums)

www.redrhythm.com

Comment

I like the CY-6 better as a crash, too, but there are other folk on the board who see it the other way around. I use Pintech SE102 for my ride, right now, with a crash assigned to the rim. I like the way it feels as a ride.

Comment

E-cymbals and TD-8

The reason why I want a TD-8 is because I already HAVE a TD-8 and don't see the reason to buy a TD-10. I use the V-drums for practice only and use acoustic drums for rehearsal (with others) and live performances. I do, however, want to make my practice experience as close as possible to acoustic drums, since I live in NYC and cannot practice on acoustic drums regularly. I wouldn't be able to add the Yamaha bell trigger, because I don't have enough inputs on the TD-8 (I want to completely replace the PD-7 and PD-9s and those inputs cannot be split). I noticed that Hart has another version of their cymbals that have a rubber coating. Does anyone know if their pads are compatible with Roland's cymbal inputs (i.e. allow for two-zone cymbals without using two inputs)?

Comment

problem solved

I think I solved my own problem. Let me know if you see any problems with this. Two CY-6 for crashes (since they don't have separate bell and bow sounds) and one CY-12 for the ride.

Comment

CY-12

Yes, I did think the CY-12 was too expensive. I think it's worth an extra $90 (over the Hart) in order to have a better (in my opinion) ride cymbal and not eat up two inputs. Thanks for the help, as I wouldn't have considered the CY-12 if I hadn't posted on this forum!

Comment

Try this for a ride?

One option for a good (and inexpensive!) ride cymbal is a Yamaha PCY-80S. All you need is a minor adjustment to playing style, which is really not radical. The triangular pad has excellent feel and response for a ride (bow). The trick is simply put the bell sound on the rim. Then all you do is flatten your stick to play the rim bell (not unlike a regular flattened shank bell hit). I find it's quite easy and natural to play a ride this way. And the Yamaha has just a bit of flex to it (unlike the PD-7/9's), which makes for great ride cymbal feel.

Comment

Working...
              X