Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quad & drums: bad combination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quad & drums: bad combination

I bought a quad recently (Honda TRX680FA) but got an accident with it just a month later.
    Bad luck, I broke my left wrist badly, see pic:

I just wonder: when will I be able to drum normally again?
    I'm trying (almost 4 weeks after the operation) but it still hurts, even with a wrist protection glove.

I can not wait forever!!
    My Mame Cabinet Project
    My wife's studio :cool:

My drumset:

ouchch !
    bobby jarzombek broke his wrist last year,
    took him more than 6 weeks,
    he's touring again.. but i'm no doc..
    4 weken is wel heel kort, maar.. beterschap.
    Audio | Video | Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip/Meinl cymbals

Comment

Man, that looks painful. Sorry to hear about the accident. But at least you get cool hardware in your bones!

Take the time to heal. Don't rush it.
      sigpic

Comment

My Mame Cabinet Project

My drumset:

Comment

Ortho comments #1

Denus,

Something I actually do know something about.....orthopedics

Do you have a lateral (side view) x-ray that you can show me ?? That would be helpful to see. It would be nice to see the articular (joint) surface on your radius. They got you pretty much back out to length. It doesn't look like you damaged the joint surface. was your fracture just two pieces? the shaft and the end of the radius? I can't quite tell from this x-ray, but did you also break your ulnar styloid (the pointy tip on the smaller bone), you have some ligamentous attachments here as well TFCC (triangular fibrocartilage complex, similar in a way to the meniscus in your knee)) is in the area as well. Other concerns would be the status of your scapho-lunate ligament (holds a couple of the carpal (wrist bones) together), tearing this can lead to later joint widening, collapse, arthritic changes.

After as brief a casting period they should get you into physical therapy to get you working on your range of motion and strength. warming your wrist up before you work it is helpful, icing it later is helpful. Take 1500 mg of Vitamin C a day as this promotes healing and prevents other problems such as Chronic regional pain syndrome, formerly know as "reflex sympathetic dystrophy)

It will take you at least 6 months to get as good as you are going to get. PT Now will help a LOT more than later. Your wrist will never be quite the same.
          Michael

TD-12/Gibraltar rack/Pintech Concertcast drums 12" snare, 1 12" tom, 2 10" toms, 8" mesh kick, Visulite cymbals, 14" dual zone crash, 13" hi-hat, 18" 3 zone ride and 2 Dingbats, Roland PM-10, iPod, Zildjian anti-vibe sticks, Roc-N-Soc throne with backrest, Yamaha snare stand, Tama Iron Cobra pedal and HH75W hi-hat stand, Sennheiser HDR 110 wireless headphones. V-expressions 80's and 90's Giggin' Kits and Both Top 50 drummers (hopefully functional soon)

Comment

Ortho comments #2

It's hard to tell from the one x-ray, is the plate on the back of your hand/wrist or is it on the palm side? The plate we usually use goes on the palm side. We haven't had to remove any of them for hardware complaints. The older dorsal ( back of the hand) plates often had to be removed as the irritated tendons etc. The newer plates are better tolerated. Odds are you won't have to have the plate and screws removed.

Your injured wrist will probably always be a little more swollen and stiffer than the other wrist. If you didn't break into the wrist joint and didn't mess up the cartilage in there you should do quite well, the odds of developing arthritis in that joint go down dramatically.

EASE back into playing. You need to work up back to where you used to be with the drums. Work or playing an instrument is in a way physical therapy.

Again, this is a drum board, the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the American Academy Of Orthopedic Surgeons. This is for entertainment purposes, please no wagering.

I hope this helps, feel free to PM me Denus if you have any other questions.
            Michael

TD-12/Gibraltar rack/Pintech Concertcast drums 12" snare, 1 12" tom, 2 10" toms, 8" mesh kick, Visulite cymbals, 14" dual zone crash, 13" hi-hat, 18" 3 zone ride and 2 Dingbats, Roland PM-10, iPod, Zildjian anti-vibe sticks, Roc-N-Soc throne with backrest, Yamaha snare stand, Tama Iron Cobra pedal and HH75W hi-hat stand, Sennheiser HDR 110 wireless headphones. V-expressions 80's and 90's Giggin' Kits and Both Top 50 drummers (hopefully functional soon)

Comment

Originally posted by Picksorsticks View Post
              Denus,

Something I actually do know something about.....orthopedics

Do you have a lateral (side view) x-ray that you can show me ?? That would be helpful to see. It would be nice to see the articular (joint) surface on your radius. They got you pretty much back out to length. It doesn't look like you damaged the joint surface. was your fracture just two pieces? the shaft and the end of the radius? I can't quite tell from this x-ray, but did you also break your ulnar styloid (the pointy tip on the smaller bone), you have some ligamentous attachments here as well TFCC (triangular fibrocartilage complex, similar in a way to the meniscus in your knee)) is in the area as well. Other concerns would be the status of your scapho-lunate ligament (holds a couple of the carpal (wrist bones) together), tearing this can lead to later joint widening, collapse, arthritic changes.

After as brief a casting period they should get you into physical therapy to get you working on your range of motion and strength. warming your wrist up before you work it is helpful, icing it later is helpful. Take 1500 mg of Vitamin C a day as this promotes healing and prevents other problems such as Chronic regional pain syndrome, formerly know as "reflex sympathetic dystrophy)

It will take you at least 6 months to get as good as you are going to get. PT Now will help a LOT more than later. Your wrist will never be quite the same.

And they try to make out like we drummers are stupid...

Comment

Stick,

I've only RECENTLY become a drummer, maybe that explains things a bit
                Michael

Comment

Man, that sucks.

Picksorsticks is right, physical therapy will be the deciding factor as to how much function you will get back. It is paramount to do EVERYTHING the PT tells you to do... and do it whenever and however you are supposed to, it will make a difference!

Those mega doses of vitamin C will also reduce scarring.

Even with the rehabilitation, it will takes MONTHS before you are completely back to normal. Hang in there!
                  sigpic

Comment

Here's to your recovery! Dont overdo it! make haste slowly....

best wishes...
                    TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
                    ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
                    not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much if I were you buddy, your break is in a lucky place. Your carpals and metacarpals are fine, and that's where the real movement in your wrist takes place- trust me I know from experience. I've had 5 lots of reconstructive surgery after I completely shattered my left hand, and I still manage just fine- just listen to your body. It's definitely worth waiting a good 4 months until you play properly man, but tapping lightly on your drums in the meantime will do you good. Also, if I were you I'd sell my quad bike and go buy some more V-drums!!! Best of luck, think positive
                      "Today young men on acid realised that all matter is purely energy condensed to a slow vibration; That we are all of one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively; There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves.. Here's Tom with the weather"...

TD-20 + TMC-6 + VF-1 + Gen16's = Not enough inputs.
                      Watch me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLqt6zaAYkY

Comment

Ouch.......

Comment

Originally posted by Picksorsticks View Post
                          Stick,

I've only RECENTLY become a drummer, maybe that explains things a bit
                          -you're getting dumber just being here. I used to be somebody...now look at me...

Before v-drums

After v-drums

E
                          - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

Ortho comments 3

Denus,

The most likely scenario is that you just broke your radius. IF you had a very high energy injury the possibility of other damaged structures increases.

Even a low energy injury can cause more damage. One of the young, fit active women in admin where I work slipped playing tennis. She also broke her radius. The original treatment was just to set her fracture and splint, later cast her. Her x-rays in the OR looked good, her first x-rays back in clinic showed some misalignment of the carpal (wrist bones). She ended going back to surgery and having an incision, ligament repair and multiple pins put in to hold the carpals in place until the ligament heals. She tore her scapholunate ligament in the fall plus the broken bone. This injury causes much more stiffnesss and problems than what you had done.

Good luck, hang in there, work hard with PT and you should do very well.
                            Michael

Comment

Michael: here you go, along with two pics before the surgery (you can see the layer of plaster):

The radius was also fissured according to the doctor.
                              The plate is a dorsal version.
                              Last edited by Denus; 11-18-08, 12:27 PM.
                              My Mame Cabinet Project

My drumset:

Comment

Working...
                              X