Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Makes a Good Band

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Makes a Good Band

What do you think makes a good semi-pro band.

Lets have your thoughts guys and gals.

For me its a good front man.

Oh, and a seamless performance. Ie, not pi--ing around between numbers.

What do you reckon ?

I reckon what makes a good band is good songs..... what makes good songs is finely tuned instruments played by highly trained and experienced musicians and a uniquely sounding vocalist with great control. And, of course, meaningful and original lyrics with substance - All captured on stage with an engaging and electrifying stage presence makes for a great performance. IMO.

Comment

Drugs and groupies.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
      TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Originally posted by John.b View Post
        What do you think makes a good semi-pro band?
        A good V-drummer
        chris :D

Comment

Hi JohnB,

I notice the discrete use of the term semi-pro......so with that in mind:

1/ A repertoire to suit the occassion
          2/ No tuning up or procrastinating whilst on stage
          3/ Minimal mistakes and/or indulgence
          4/ Grog's requirements will follow 1, 2 and 3

Comment

An obvious and genuine love of the material, being presented in a joyful and enthusiastic manner. Even with only a moderate amount of talent, and even with material that is not exactly the listener's "cup of tea", a heartfelt performance is, IMO, 85% of what makes for an entertaining evening.

Cases in point:

Brave Combo - The first time I saw them, they were playing their special brand of "Nuclear Polka" at a big party. I never saw people dancing with such gleeful abandon as I did that night.

John Hand - Performing at The Saxony Pub (very small venue) in Austin, TX. Hank Williams-style country-western music. I would have been bored to tears as their drummer, but he sang with such a genuine love for the music, you just had to smile and tap your foot.

Buck Naked and the Jaybirds - A band I used to play in, best described as "Alternative Punk UFO Cult Country". Performance art before the term was coined. Very little musical talent in the band, but boy did we have fun. So did the audience.

In a word - Sincerity. If you can fake that, you've got it made!

Comment

Although the key phrase is semi-pro, there are rules that apply to any band regardless of their compensatory status...

Good bands should avoid playing bad songs (unless there is comical intent involved).

Good bands must give a "life" unto their music, regardless of how precise or error-free their playing is... otherwise they are just playing notes.

I enjoy a band the most when it interacts with the energy of the audience and there is a symbiotic kind of thing going on, and I am not referring to a singer begging the audience to sing along or any other cheesy ploys for participation... it's more of a telepathic connection. Great bands have "The Shining".
              sigpic

Comment

I would say plenty of rehearsal, thats what makes a good band. A good tight outfit always sound good no matter what they play.

Comment

To know your stuff, play only a few/no mistakes, and last but not least, having fun on stage and being able to make your audience have the same fun. IMO, a band that doens't have fun on stage, doesn't have an audience that has fun. I think you reflect it on your audience - and vice versa. Rather a band with a high fun and amusement factor that plays mediocre than a band with the best musicians that seem bored when playing.

Stijn
                  'lectric drumma
                  Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

Originally posted by 'lectric drumma View Post
                    ...and last but not least, having fun on stage and being able to make your audience have the same fun. IMO, a band that doens't have fun on stage, doesn't have an audience that has fun. I think you reflect it on your audience - and vice versa. Rather a band with a high fun and amusement factor...Stijn
                    Your comments reminded me of this post I made a long time ago:

http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...les#post200511

Of course, that's referring to a long-time top act in the pop culture. When referring to any typical local band doing a gig, I then think about the many corporate and "occasion-type" (birthday parties, weddings, anniversaries, etc) performances I've heard by local bands.

By far, the most entertaining ones - that left a great impression - were those who interacted with the audience and provided entertainment appropriate for the occasion. It should be noted, however, that such interaction - and to what level - is often pre-determined by the event's host.

It also seemed that these type of bands attracted musicians who were more than just good instrumentalists/vocalists, but had entertainment talent and creativity much broader. If you then consider many famous groups, you see the same qualities: musical talent, creativity, working well with others within the group and outside the group, and an overall personality that makes them intriguing and/or attractive to those seeking entertainment beyond just hearing good music. They are also the bands who seem more likely to receive media and publication coverage, special tv performances, appearances on variety shows, etc - because they are entertaining and present themselves well even when not performing their music.

In my opinion, if a band doesn't have entertainment qualities beyond being able to play an instrument and/or singing, live gigs could just as easily be replaced with a DJ secluded in a dark corner somewhere.
                    Hart Pro 6.4 (Hammered Chrome), Roland TD-8, Gibraltar Throne w/ Backrest, Tama Iron Cobra Bass Pedal, ALTEC A7-500 "Voice of the Theatre" Speaker/Horn System with Sunn Concert Slave amp and lot of other audio stuff, Sony MDR-7506 Headphones, Zildjian DipSticks - and Czech Skorpian, Heckler & Koch MP5, etc Submachine Guns to stick out the window behind my kit for some quite unique fills...

Comment

A lot of great points here. Most bands of this caliber are competent musicians or they don't stay around long. The ones that stand out have a high level of entertainment value as SDG said. And usually that involves a top notch front person. Or front persons.

The ones who are really worth seeing have crafted a show around the music, rather than being a living juke box. But that onlt seems appropriate in a cabaret type setting.
                      sigpic

Comment

From experience in some really dodgy bands and some fairly decent ones, the bands that have felt the most fruitful have had a combination of:
                        • passion
                        • chemistry
                        • diplomacy
                        • commitment
                        • competency
                        • energy
                        • originality

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
                          The ones who are really worth seeing have crafted a show around the music, rather than being a living juke box.
                          I once saw an awesome band named "The Rusty Griswolds" which ONLY plays 80's covers. They put on really high-energy shows and go all out to entertain the audience. Some of the songs they played would make me shudder if I had to hear them on a CD, but they were so darn entertaining that I even enjoyed the bad songs... now that is a talent! Their slogan is "Playing all the 80's music that you love to hate" if that helps to put it in perspective.
                          sigpic

Comment

The best band has:

* The best name

* The best equipment

* The most expensive instruments

* A lead guitarist with the best tone (ever)

* the best hair

* The tightest pants

* the drummer with the most cymbals and the most B.A. licks

* The cutest singer

* The best light show
                            Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

Originally posted by gingerbaker View Post
                              The best band has:

* The best name

* The best equipment

* The most expensive instruments

* A lead guitarist with the best tone (ever)

* the best hair

* The tightest pants

* the drummer with the most cymbals and the most B.A. licks

* The cutest singer

* The best light show
                              So basically Rush or Pink Floyd! Nice!!

Comment

Working...
                              X