Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

accurate playing with the TD-9's Scope function

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• accurate playing with the TD-9's Scope function

I'm curious how accurate others can play with the scope function. I'm practising a lot with it lately and noticed that when playing fast (180 bpm and up, doubles at 100 bpm and up), I hit the mark dead center. But playing slower I always seem to hit it 'one pixel' before the mark.

Also, the sound of the metronome seems to influence this. The sound has a (short) duration: but do you hit at the beginning, middle or end of the sound to hit exactly on the mark? I tried all settings but couldn't find one which was satisfying at all speeds.

Anyone else want to comment on this? Can you play at the exact mark at every speed? Both beginners as well as more experienced drummers?

I would also ask this:
    How many bars can you play without making any mistake?
    (By mistake I mean hitting just off the center)

Comment

I notice that you have to hit at the beginning of the sound...i tend to use the voice count, and it is definitely at the precise beginning of intonation that you get accurate hits...while we are talking about scope, I want to go on record as being annoyed that if you are early on beat 1, the hit is marked all the way to the right, ie as part of beat 4, rather than all the way to the left, where i am expecting it...this confuses me...then again, left and right confuse me...I am just in a natural state of confusion, not to say bewilderment. I am sorry, what was the question?
      TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
      ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
      not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Please Saku, this is a very, very serious thread to add something to others knowledge and skills. So, go and post some nonsense answers in your usual threads (you know them, right) to become member of the 2K club.

PS: just kidding

...but I really mean it...I think

Comment

Originally posted by eric_B View Post
          Please Saku, this is a very, very serious thread to add something to others knowledge and skills. So, go and post some nonsense answers in your usual threads (you know them, right) to become member of the 2K club.

PS: just kidding

...but I really mean it...I think
          now I have no idea on how to relate to your post? It was a serious answer, to a serious question...so I do not know should I be affronted, offended, depressed, or merely pissed off

Comment

Being a begginner myself, I have the opposite problem that you have. I have a much easier time on keeping it dead center from 60-160 bpm. If I go faster I tend to drag behind a little or rush a little trying to keep up. I use the voice pattern like Saku, but I also have realized that I play best when I count along out loud. I can look away from the module and count out loud and when I look back I am dead on. However sometimes staring straight at the module and not counting along, I tend to speed up.

Comment

Originally posted by saku View Post
              now I have no idea on how to relate to your post? It was a serious answer, to a serious question...so I do not know should I be affronted, offended, depressed, or merely pissed off
              Hi Saku, I was referring to this part:

Originally posted by saku View Post
              then again, left and right confuse me...I am just in a natural state of confusion, not to say bewilderment. I am sorry, what was the question?
              the first part actually did make sense. I agree, putting the note which is struck too early on count one all the way to the right is distracting. However, the last part made it all seem non-sense. I just wanted to keep this post clean and serious.

By the way: no need to be pissed, I already did that !

Comment

Originally posted by JohnQ Public View Post
                Being a begginner myself, I have the opposite problem that you have. I have a much easier time on keeping it dead center from 60-160 bpm. If I go faster I tend to drag behind a little or rush a little trying to keep up. I use the voice pattern like Saku, but I also have realized that I play best when I count along out loud. I can look away from the module and count out loud and when I look back I am dead on. However sometimes staring straight at the module and not counting along, I tend to speed up.
                I tried the voice pattern for a while, but to me it sounded like a Japanese trying to impersonate a not to mention historic german führer, who was trying to shout the first four digits in English to his soldiers who were to ignorant to understand what he was saying.

But, with the added stick sounds on the background, I did have more hits on the mark.

Comment

Originally posted by eric_B View Post
                  I tried the voice pattern for a while, but to me it sounded like a Japanese trying to impersonate a not to mention historic german führer, who was trying to shout the first four digits in English to his soldiers who were to ignorant to understand what he was saying.
                  She must have got confused about the motivation for her character:

Originally posted by Chris Jude View Post
                  One interesting fact/urban e-legend is that the voice counting off "1", "2", "3", "4" is actually none other than Roland's Steve Fisher's wife recorded speaking the numbers very quickly so they could be used throughout the tempo range.

Bruce

Comment

@Bart: Well, anybody seen here in real life?

No one practising with the scope function?

Strange, with all those people calling it one of the great features to buy a TD-9 .

Comment

I am not familiar with the TD-9. Is this Scope Function similar in concept to the Rhythm Coach of the TD-3?
                      And is the TD-9 a totally new module?
                      The blues are here to take me and to drag me down to hell...

Comment

Originally posted by Shiny View Post
                        I am not familiar with the TD-9. Is this Scope Function similar in concept to the Rhythm Coach of the TD-3?
                        Similar, but different: Rhythm Scope vs Rhythm Coach

Originally posted by Shiny View Post
                        And is the TD-9 a totally new module?
                        Depends what your definition of "new" is (6-10 months?): TD-9 Discussion Thread

Bruce

Comment

What's the convention here? When you guys say you play at 100 bpm, do you mean you're sticking at 100 bpm, or are you playing 8th notes while quarter notes = 100 bpm? or 16th notes?
                          My compact kit.

Comment

Originally posted by sciomako View Post
                            What's the convention here? When you guys say you play at 100 bpm, do you mean you're sticking at 100 bpm, or are you playing 8th notes while quarter notes = 100 bpm? or 16th notes?
                            Well, for me at least, it's all of the above.

I've started using the on-board metronome and scope function when I warm up. I usually have a series of snare excercises (singles, doubles, paradiddles, flams, etc.) and a series of drum grooves (a comination of 'straight' and 'shuffle/triplet' based patterns that are just fun to play and that I'm comfortable with). Tempos vary, but I usually work on the slower tempos because they're the tempos you can do more with... and also the tempos I generally have real trouble with.

However, in my opinion, the scope function only really comes into play if you match strokes for metronome beats... otherwise you're just 'painting the display' with dots and it doesn't really help you visually.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterMR View Post
                              Well, for me at least, it's all of the above.

I've started using the on-board metronome and scope function when I warm up. I usually have a series of snare excercises (singles, doubles, paradiddles, flams, etc.) and a series of drum grooves (a comination of 'straight' and 'shuffle/triplet' based patterns that are just fun to play and that I'm comfortable with). Tempos vary, but I usually work on the slower tempos because they're the tempos you can do more with... and also the tempos I generally have real trouble with.

However, in my opinion, the scope function only really comes into play if you match strokes for metronome beats... otherwise you're just 'painting the display' with dots and it doesn't really help you visually.
                              I dont know, I use it to practice my shuffles by having the dot move closer or further from the beat, something ihad trouble doing merely by ear...

Comment

Working...
                              X