Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I guess I'm no expert (yet)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KevH
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnQ Public View Post
    I just had this ugly vision of Dr. Ruth spending all that time learning her craft.
    Dr Ruth! Man, that reminds me, the troll went missing from our bridge last week.

Leave a comment:

• JohnQ Public
    replied
    Originally posted by hampis View Post
    Who said u need one life only to become expert ?
    I just had this ugly vision of Dr. Ruth spending all that time learning her craft.

Leave a comment:

• saku
    replied
    Originally posted by KevH View Post
    That would make him a spoddy nerd, not an expert.
    I repeat, it is a very interesting book, and a very interesting writer...scoff not!

Leave a comment:

• KevH
    replied
    Originally posted by Fat Rich View Post
    Perhaps 10 years at 3 hours a day is how long it took him to write his book?
    That would make him a spoddy nerd, not an expert.

Leave a comment:

• Fat Rich
    replied
    Originally posted by Colquhoun View Post
    With all due respect to this author, this theory is just silly.
    I can't stand when people try to quantify things in this manner. He defines "expert" as what, really? Then to put a hard and fast number on what it takes to get "there".
    Perhaps 10 years at 3 hours a day is how long it took him to write his book?

Leave a comment:

• i-drum
    replied
    some are experts right out of the box though, like the 4 year old that plays classical piano or myself who could make mud cookies at 2.

Leave a comment:

• saku
    replied
    Originally posted by Colquhoun View Post
    I can't stand when people try to quantify things in this manner. He defines "expert" as what, really? Then to put a hard and fast number on what it takes to get "there".

Practice...play....get better....enjoy yourself. Let someone else worry about what an "expert" is.
    I've read the book in question, highly recommended...and I can admit that it sounds a bit silly when taken out of context, but within the context of the chapter in question it was very interesting...he wasnt saying that if you practice 9000 hours you will not be an expert, but that last 1000 puts you over the top, he was merely noting how much hard graft goes into the work of many people we thought were naturally gifted - and not that they WERENT gifted, but just as the old saying goes: inspiration is 90% persparation. Persperation. er? Sweat...

Read the book, it's well worth it!

Leave a comment:

• Colquhoun
    replied
    Originally posted by Picksorsticks View Post
    from "This Is Your Brain On Music" by Daniel Levitin, it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert...that's "3 hours a day .....over 10 years".....whether you're talking about music or anything else...

I guess I'd better go put some time in on my drums

Practice...play....get better....enjoy yourself. Let someone else worry about what an "expert" is.

Leave a comment:

• KevH
    replied
    Originally posted by PumaPhreak View Post
    That's why my thesis isn't finished....
    I hope you have a healthy supply of KY then...

Leave a comment:

• PumaPhreak
    replied
    Originally posted by KevH View Post
    Thats a lot of time in bed to become a sexpert then.
    That's why my thesis isn't finished....

Leave a comment:

• KevH
    replied
    Thats a lot of time in bed to become a sexpert then.

Leave a comment:

• hampis
    replied
    Who said u need one life only to become expert ?

Leave a comment:

• stickinthemud
    replied
    OK, then. If you become an expert, then stop putting in your 3 hours a day, do you become an ex-expert?

Leave a comment:

• Picksorsticks
    started a topic I guess I'm no expert (yet)

I guess I'm no expert (yet)

from "This Is Your Brain On Music" by Daniel Levitin, it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert...that's "3 hours a day .....over 10 years".....whether you're talking about music or anything else...

I guess I'd better go put some time in on my drums
Working...
X