Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I guess I'm no expert (yet)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess I'm no expert (yet)

from "This Is Your Brain On Music" by Daniel Levitin, it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert...that's "3 hours a day .....over 10 years".....whether you're talking about music or anything else...

I guess I'd better go put some time in on my drums
    Michael

TD-12/Gibraltar rack/Pintech Concertcast drums 12" snare, 1 12" tom, 2 10" toms, 8" mesh kick, Visulite cymbals, 14" dual zone crash, 13" hi-hat, 18" 3 zone ride and 2 Dingbats, Roland PM-10, iPod, Zildjian anti-vibe sticks, Roc-N-Soc throne with backrest, Yamaha snare stand, Tama Iron Cobra pedal and HH75W hi-hat stand, Sennheiser HDR 110 wireless headphones. V-expressions 80's and 90's Giggin' Kits and Both Top 50 drummers (hopefully functional soon)

OK, then. If you become an expert, then stop putting in your 3 hours a day, do you become an ex-expert?

Comment

Who said u need one life only to become expert ?
      Ex E-kits:
      ''Lernean Hydra'' ( a bounche of roland pads with a td-6 module)
      ''Lucy'' (Diamond electronic drums with a td-12 module)
      current E-kit
      ''Cherry Gretschy Lady'' (Gretsch Catalina Ash 6 piece A to E kit-Roland td20 module-A to E cymbals)

A-kit
      " Mrs.Catalina'' (Gretsch Catalina maple 6 piece kit-Paiste signature+Masterwork custom made cymbals)

check out a few videos http://www.youtube.com/user/hampisdrums

Comment

Thats a lot of time in bed to become a sexpert then.

Comment

Originally posted by KevH View Post
          Thats a lot of time in bed to become a sexpert then.
          That's why my thesis isn't finished....
          Roland Td-11KV, Alesis SamplePad, DW5000 pedal, Vater 7A sticks.

Comment

Originally posted by PumaPhreak View Post
            That's why my thesis isn't finished....
            I hope you have a healthy supply of KY then...

Comment

Originally posted by Picksorsticks View Post
              from "This Is Your Brain On Music" by Daniel Levitin, it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert...that's "3 hours a day .....over 10 years".....whether you're talking about music or anything else...

I guess I'd better go put some time in on my drums
              With all due respect to this author, this theory is just silly.
              I can't stand when people try to quantify things in this manner. He defines "expert" as what, really? Then to put a hard and fast number on what it takes to get "there".

Practice...play....get better....enjoy yourself. Let someone else worry about what an "expert" is.

Comment

Originally posted by Colquhoun View Post
                I can't stand when people try to quantify things in this manner. He defines "expert" as what, really? Then to put a hard and fast number on what it takes to get "there".

Practice...play....get better....enjoy yourself. Let someone else worry about what an "expert" is.
                I've read the book in question, highly recommended...and I can admit that it sounds a bit silly when taken out of context, but within the context of the chapter in question it was very interesting...he wasnt saying that if you practice 9000 hours you will not be an expert, but that last 1000 puts you over the top, he was merely noting how much hard graft goes into the work of many people we thought were naturally gifted - and not that they WERENT gifted, but just as the old saying goes: inspiration is 90% persparation. Persperation. er? Sweat...

Read the book, it's well worth it!
                TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
                ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
                not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

some are experts right out of the box though, like the 4 year old that plays classical piano or myself who could make mud cookies at 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Colquhoun View Post
                    Perhaps 10 years at 3 hours a day is how long it took him to write his book?

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Rich View Post
                      Perhaps 10 years at 3 hours a day is how long it took him to write his book?
                      That would make him a spoddy nerd, not an expert.

Comment

Originally posted by KevH View Post
                        That would make him a spoddy nerd, not an expert.
                        I repeat, it is a very interesting book, and a very interesting writer...scoff not!
                        TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
                        ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
                        not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Originally posted by hampis View Post
                          Who said u need one life only to become expert ?
                          I just had this ugly vision of Dr. Ruth spending all that time learning her craft.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnQ Public View Post
                            I just had this ugly vision of Dr. Ruth spending all that time learning her craft.
                            Dr Ruth! Man, that reminds me, the troll went missing from our bridge last week.

Comment

Working...
                            X