Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 month progress clip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 month progress clip

Here is a short clip of playing after my first 2 months playing along to a built in pattern within the TD12.

As you may already know, I recently purchased the Tascam 144 audio interface and with your help I have recorded my first clip using the Cubase 4LE that came with the interface. I have not done any editing or anything so it will pretty much just cut off at the end.

I have included the metronome as I am practicing simple fills while trying to maintain proper timing (I know, it needs A LOT of work). Please let me know your thoughts and advice/critique/insults are very welcome

http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm...1252996598.wma

That's good progress for 2 months I reckon.

Timing on the fills needs some work but you're not too far off most of the time, a bit more practice and you'll get there.

If you were playing in a band situation I would say there are far too many fills, but I guess that's what you're practising here so that's fine!

Good stuff

Comment

Bump.

Any other thoughts/advice/feedback?

Thanks.

Comment

Hey nice job. Im thinking of getting a Tascam 144 or 122. Was wondering if you can connect an Ipod or something to play along with while recording tracks? IE drumming along with songs and recording at the same time. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by SCVDrummer View Post
          Hey nice job. Im thinking of getting a Tascam 144 or 122. Was wondering if you can connect an Ipod or something to play along with while recording tracks? IE drumming along with songs and recording at the same time. Thanks!
          Absolutely... the easiest way would be to plug the iPod or computer (with iTunes or whatever music player) into the "mix-in" jack on the module. I guess it depends on what kit you have.

Basically any music that is sent through the module first will be recorded.... as long as your mix-in play along music is tied in before the audio interface then it will record along with your drums. Or, just make sure your audio interface is a 2-4 channel or more so you can tie external music into the audio interface directly. However, to make it easy I would see if your module has a "mix-in" port first..... what kit do you have?

Comment

Yeah that's what i was thinking as well. I have a TD-12. Ive tried recording with my PC's soundcard(Soundblaster Xfi) which did ok but i think it would be much better with an audio interface to do the recording work.

Comment

Originally posted by SCVDrummer View Post
              Yeah that's what i was thinking as well. I have a TD-12. Ive tried recording with my PC's soundcard(Soundblaster Xfi) which did ok but i think it would be much better with an audio interface to do the recording work.
              Perfect! The TD12 has the mix-in port so you simply plug your ipod or any other music device directly into that.... anything you play through there will be recorded along with your drums.

I would definitely agree that an audio interface would produce a better recording.

Anyone else willing to chime in on the recording and offer any thoughts or advice. I'd like to know if I'm on the right track as far as progress at this point in time. And, of course, any ideas of obvious things to work on based on the audio clip below.

TIA.

Comment

Thats pretty good for 2 months mate. OK its simple stuff but you seem to have a good feel going.

Keep up the good work.

Comment

that is excellent drumming for two months in! You should be proud of yourself.

Here is a thought. Start practicing your fills to start not on the "one" or the down beat, but on the "and" or upbeat.

To give yourself more space to play, start your fill on the upbeat half a measure or a full measure earlier then you do normally now. I like to start this sort of thing with a simple flam ( whole note) on a high tom as that sounds good.

Great stuff!
                  Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

Originally posted by gingerbaker View Post

Here is a thought. Start practicing your fills to start not on the "one" or the down beat, but on the "and" or upbeat.

To give yourself more space to play, start your fill on the upbeat half a measure or a full measure earlier then you do normally now. I like to start this sort of thing with a simple flam ( whole note) on a high tom as that sounds good.

Great stuff!
                    This is great advice actually! Thank you!

Like most beginners, I find myself struggling with timing over the long stretch of a song or playing to a background pattern. I have found that it definitely helps to record yourself as I always thought it sounded pretty good in my cans but come to find out my timing is not always on. I seem to come back from fills at a faster tempo than the groove and that just destroys it. I try to tell myself that this is normal for a beginner but I cant help but get frustrated and wonder if timing is something that can be learned or realized. Keeping a very steady rhythm is the hardest part for me.

I appreciate the advice!

Comment

Originally posted by gingerbaker View Post

Great stuff!
                      GB,

Very good idea... you should talk more frequently.

(Seriously dude...that's a great idea)

E
                      - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

Here is another quick clip that I recorded... this time I did not use the metronome so my timing is a bit rattled in places.

http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm...1143549569.wma

Any thoughts or comments on my 2 month progress?

TIA.

Comment

Hey i just got my 122 and im looking to get recording asap. I know this sounds pretty dumb but im having trouble recording and playback. I have my L/R master outs from the TD-12 plugged into the 122 L/R line ins and have the headphones plugged into the 122 as well. I can hear audio through the 122/Phones but im not able to get any audio when trying to play back demos ive tried to record with Cubase LE. The manual is pretty weak with any details regarding Cubase and the program itself is a bit overwhelming for me(coming from Audacity). Can you give me any tips or walk me through the recording process? Thanks!

Comment

Sounds pretty good. Another thing that might help with the variety of your fills is practicing differing subdivisions played on the snare while the backing track plays. For instance, play quarter notes alternating with your hands, then alternating eighth notes, then alternating triplets, then 16th's. Once you've kind of "internalized" the time and can move fluidly from each variation. Then you can go back to playing the groove and incorporate these variations around the kit in your fills. Also, incorporate different sticking patterns (paradiddles, all rights, all lefts, etc) and hand-feet combinations. This should keep you busy for a while.
                            Like gingerbaker said, you've made good progress over the 2 months and should be proud of yourself.
                            Roland Td-11KV, Alesis SamplePad, DW5000 pedal, Vater 7A sticks.

Comment

Originally posted by sopranos View Post
                              I seem to come back from fills at a faster tempo than the groove and that just destroys it. I try to tell myself that this is normal for a beginner but I cant help but get frustrated and wonder if timing is something that can be learned or realized. Keeping a very steady rhythm is the hardest part for me.

I appreciate the advice!
                              Hey, man - don't worry, be happy!

Speeding up during fills is completely normal and expected. It takes some time and practice to overcome, that's all.

Here is what helped me:

* Keeping some part of my body going at the proper constant beat during my fills.

I have found two ways of doing this. The first way is to deliberately keep my kick drum going four on the floor. This works OK, but a lot of times I DON"T WANT my kick drum going all the time during fills!

The other way is harder to learn, but much, much more useful musically:

* I learned to use my left foot.

Yes, as beginning drummers, we do actually have left feet! With everything else going on, they do seem to slip into an alternate Universe for a while, disappearing completely except for occasional high-hat closings until that glorious time comes when we stand up from the drum throne, and, voila! We have our left feet back from the Multiverse, all shiny to help us walk and go up stairs.

The left foot is always the last limb that we drummers get around to, and a lot of us NEVER get around to it. But it is really useful to have An Actual Working Left Foot(TM)

Basically, I took the time to teach myself to keep my left foot going up and down on the high-hat, and to develop some independence in that movement.

It really is not all that hard to do! Merely months of agonizing practice. No, seriously, it comes along very fast.

We really have to learn to keep our left foot going along every other beat when we learn our first jazz beat anyway, right? So, we might as well continue the training, and move up to quarter notes, etc

The benefit is that having a steady high-hat going with our left foot is incredibly musical. It sounds great, AND, it keeps us in time as we clatter around the kit during our fills.

The really cool thing I have found is that my left foot, once it is started on its rhythm, takes no thought at all - it is on Autopilot. So, if I start it not on 4/4 time, but on triplet time, I can play a really simple 4/4 beat with my kick and snare, and have an automatic polyrhythm going on because of the high-hat. This is very cool indeed, and something I can do occasionally without falling off my throne .
                              Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

Working...
                              X