Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guitar Hero- stupifyed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Hero- stupifyed

I played Guitar hero (drums) at the local Walmart yesterday. I set the dam thing on expert level and played a couple of songs all the way though with the meter pegged all the way. The catch? There was no bass or hi hat pedal!!!!!!! What the heck?

I expected this to be dumbed down even on expert level but not this much! I see a bass pedal with the drum kit but the one set up in the store did not have it and the game did not seem to require it.

Now, I understand it is a video game and did not expect it to be anything like real interments but this was ridicules. Expert level and all that was required was tapping 8th notes with right hand and half notes with left no ghost notes and very little accenting.

This game makes all the stereotypes of drummer seam true. Now excuse me (I have to wipe the drool off my keyboard.)
    TD-6v, (3x)CY-8, (4x)PD-8's (2x)PD-6's (1x)PD-80R (1)KD-8 http://www.cstoliker.com/Drums/

----------
    Last edited by Ericdrumz; 11-30-08, 07:09 PM.
    Audio | Video | Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip/Meinl cymbals

Comment

Originally posted by cstoliker View Post
      I played Guitar hero (drums) at the local Walmart yesterday. I set the dam thing on expert level and played a couple of songs all the way though with the meter pegged all the way. The catch? There was no bass or hi hat pedal!!!!!!! What the heck?
      Dammit, I was actually looking forward to seeing it shaped up, but I'm hearing nothing but bad things about it as a band game. Although I'm told its still good as a dual guitar game. Boring!
      My kit:

Comment

I actually have the drums for the game. They come with a kick pedal but it's crap. They usually disable the kick in the store display because it breaks so easily. On the plus side these drums have a midi in port on them, so if you plug in your v-drums you can use those to play the game. The only problem I have had usin my v drums is they don't read but one zone of the cymbals. So on the hi hat you have to play the bow instead of the edge where I am used to playing.

Comment

I was pontificatng in my typical curmudgeonly manner last night to my poor wife about the shift to Form over Substance, at least in modern American culture. Cleverness trumps wisdom. Physical beauty wins out over the beauty of one's spirit. Being cool is more important than being kind. Winning an argument is more important than seeking the truth. It's more important to look good than to be good. Etc. Etc. Blah Blah Blah...

OK, sure, it's just a game. But I would far rather my kids get together with their friends and learn to actually play a few songs - even poorly - than waste away the hours pretending to make music.

Comment

Originally posted by stickinthemud View Post
            OK, sure, it's just a game. But I would far rather my kids get together with their friends and learn to actually play a few songs - even poorly - than waste away the hours pretending to make music.
            If I had kids this would probably drive me nuts too!

But in all fairness I think its a a lot better influence on kids the kind of computer games that were around when I was kid (pacman, space invaders, etc). Although this won't happen with everyone, they do actually encourage people to try out instruments for real. I'd know, it got me into drums...
            My kit:

Comment

Most importantly...is it possible to make a recording of the tracks without drums? The world needs more drumless tracks!

Comment

Originally posted by LordLucan View Post
                If I had kids this would probably drive me nuts too!

But in all fairness I think its a a lot better influence on kids the kind of computer games that were around when I was kid (pacman, space invaders, etc). Although this won't happen with everyone, they do actually encourage people to try out instruments for real. I'd know, it got me into drums...
                This. At 34 I had never touched a drumset before the toy plastic one in rockband. Now I take weekly lessons and practice a hour a day on my rudiments and hand techniques. And I still play rock band (rudiments and learning to utilize my left hand really improved my game) and now guitar hero world tour which I use my vdrums to play.

I am a member of the rockband forums as well and on any given day you will see at least 3 or 4 posts that are new people either getting a td-3 or dtxplorer or asking if they should get a td-9. Not to mention the people that use kd-8's and a real pedal because the pedals that come with these games are crap. While I agree that when I see the 6 year olds playing expert guitar and drums and getting 100%, I wonder about their parents and if they couldn't be using that time more productively. I have an 8 year old and a 6year old and neither one of them get more than 30 mins of television or video games a week. I am the video game junkie in my house. And for a lot of the guys my age that never once played an instrument (even though I took piano lessons and trumpet in middle school) it encourages some of us to pick up an instrument and a lot of us end up sticking with it. I am sure that some of the people picking up these kits will have them on ebay and craig's list soon enough when they realize it's a lot harder than playing a toy kit with the notes streaming down the screen. Once they see the time it takes to and practice a lot of adults will give it up. But if just a few people like myself end up really enjoying drumming and stick with the lessons and the practice, isn't that a win?

Comment

After playing a real guitar for 14 years now, I simply cannot understand what is so great about wasting so much of one's time fantasizing about playing a guitar instead of actually playing one.

p.s. I truly meant no offense to homosexuals by posting this clip, so I hope that none was taken.
                  sigpic

Comment

I bought a MIDI relay to be able to play Rock Band with my Roland Kit. This is an old video but you can get the point. I have a TD20 kit now so I am playing off a real hihat crossing my arms. When I did this video I had a CY5 which I couldn't stand and I was still too much of a newb to use the cymbals. Thankfully now I am good enough to use the real hihat and cymbals (crash+ride).

I also got the hihat working so open hihat triggers a blue note and a closed hihat triggers a yellow note which is cool. I am still tweaking it though.

Playing Rock band or Guitar Hero with their toy drum kit isn't that much fun. But playing on a real Roland kit is actually pretty cool, especially for a dummer like me that is just learning the trade.

The one big advantage of playing the drums in Rock Band is you learn limb independance. Of course playing on the toy guitar, that's a different story as playing that definitely won't teach you guitar. At least playing the drums you can learn something.

Fufill your GAS problems here at my eBay store: Drums By DjPiLL

Check out my new Drum Outlet eBay Store for various CHEAP percussion hardware: DJ's Drum Outlet

Comment

Originally posted by cheapthrill View Post
                      After playing a real guitar for 14 years now, I simply cannot understand what is so great about wasting so much of one's time fantasizing about playing a guitar instead of actually playing one.
                      I play it with my kids all the time and it is a blast. However, I never forget that it is A GAME. Nothing more.
                      Those that are "fantisizing" or pretending that they are really playing are either not serious or deluding themselves.
                      However, I think the game has done more to raise kids' awareness and interest about REAL guitars and other instruments than any other medium. That's a GOOD thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Colquhoun View Post
                        I play it with my kids all the time and it is a blast. However, I never forget that it is A GAME. Nothing more.
                        Those that are "fantisizing" or pretending that they are really playing are either not serious or deluding themselves.
                        However, I think the game has done more to raise kids' awareness and interest about REAL guitars and other instruments than any other medium. That's a GOOD thing.
                        I see what you mean, I just think it's funny that there are so many guys in their teens and 20's who would rather play that game for hours with no intention of ever learning a real instrument. As far as kids gaining interest, that could go the other way too. They could try to play a real guitar and discover that it is not as easy as a video game and become quickly discouraged... but if anything, that might make them respect real guitar playing a little more.

I guess my biggest gripe about the game is that can condition kids to think that music doesn't rock unless the musicians inflate their image and use a gimmick...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X