Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Came up with an interesting double bass exercise tonight.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Came up with an interesting double bass exercise tonight.

I was getting the kit set up with S2.0 (WOOHOO!!!) and came across this pattern. Works the double bass chops nicely.

I grabbed a short video - excuse the quality - I threw it together in like 5 minutes.... I'm in my sweats so I applied a pretty healthy video mask to hide my true self...

Let me know if it is useful. It basically is this pattern:

Constant 1/4 notes on ride all through...
    4 sixteenth notes on bass, then 6, then 6, then 4, then 2, then 2, then 2 bass and 2 snare, then 2 bass and two snare.... repeat. Hard to explain - but you'll get it when you see the vid.

Here ---> http://webpages.charter.net/escher2/Drums-DB.mov
    Drumkat DK10
    Alesis D4
    EZ-Drummer VST
    Superior Drummer 2.0 <--- On the way!

"...You can fight without ever winning, but
    never ever win without a fight..." Rush -
    Resist

Nice exercise, thanks!

I don't know if I will ever be proficient at double-bass. My left foot is just so spastic! Don't get much call for it with Praise and Worship music...

Comment

You need to get a feel for it in your mind Sticky. Its not just about kicking out 8s and 16s.

You can get some very interesting feels going to whatever your playing.

Just be careful not to make the bass player redundant. They get the hump easy.

Comment

2112, I'll have to try that out. I've been trying to do a lot of alternating hands/feet rolls, so that could help.

Stickinthemud, I know how you feel about spastic-foot. I've been practicing patterns in "The Encyclopedia of Double-Bass Drumming" (great book, IMO) for a couple of months, but wasn't really progressing as well as I would like.

What is now helping me a lot is to sit and jam any single-kick music I feel like playing, only with my left foot. I'll try not to use my right foot, but it still wants to play, so it ends up air-kicking at times. After I get through some of that, I go back to double-bass patterns in that book and play the kick pattern backward, with my left foot playing what I'm used to playing with the right foot.

It's really hard at first b/c your instinct is to play left-hand/left-foot (and vice-versa) together, but playing the opposite way starts to click after awhile, and it's starting to help my independence a lot. It keeps things from being too monotonous and I'm finally starting to lose my idea that something MUST be played with a particular limb.

Hope this helps you guys. I'm always looking for tips as well.

Comment

cool.. i can't see it, only hear it on my pc..
          a lot of metal drummers nowadays play 'rested' bassdrumpatterns,
          some subdivisions are very hard to play under a beat..
          Last edited by Ericdrumz; 11-24-08, 09:18 AM.
          Audio | Video | Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip/Meinl cymbals

Comment

Originally posted by stickinthemud View Post
            Nice exercise, thanks!

I don't know if I will ever be proficient at double-bass. My left foot is just so spastic! Don't get much call for it with Praise and Worship music...
            I know what ya mean, it just doesnt quite fit i that kind of song. I dont know, maybe i need to be more creative

Comment

Working...
            X