Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Need advice on 1st E-kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on 1st E-kit

I'm presently researching buying an electronic kit. I've been out of drumming (and in Taiwan) for many years and now that I'm back people are asking me to play again.

I don't have a choice between As and Es, I need the headphones and volume knob.

I've spent some time at Guitar Center going through the TD-6, 8 and 10 and like them all. But it really comes down to between the 6 and 8 (TD10 kits are too expensive unless I get used)

So, here are some of the questions I have:

1. Are used kits generally safe to buy (my prior experience was used drums were usually ok, Cymbals were almost never ok)

2. Dual trigger pads: If I get a dual trigger tom (for example) can I set the rim to trigger a seperate sound (e.g. a cowbel) and the head the regular tom sound? I think I heard somewhere that the head sound would also trigger with the rim, but the Guitar Center guys weren't sure and didn't want to play with the settings.

3. What kind of warranty do these things have? Can you beleive the two guys I asked at Guitar Center didn't know! There was a CY-6 at Guitar Center that was all messed up, so I had to ask.

So that leads into my 4th question (related to #1 too)

4. How durable are these things? Or, how easily do they break?

5. And finally, alternate pads: Dang those Vdrum pads are epensive! Are Pintech or Hart Dynamics good alternitives? And if so, which do you recomend?

6. Oh, here's another. I've played on an old TD-5 and hurt my arms/wrists on the hard rubber pads. I've noticed the rubber on the Vclub pads is different, as is the PD-7/9. Is it any better?

I'm willing to look outside Roland for the brain/module, but I can't seem to find anything but the DTXpress on display anywhere- and that thing is very dissapointing compared to a TD-6 IMO.
    That Dan Guy

As has been stated many times here, by more venerable and aged members than myself, use most xlnt search engine!
    Welcome to the forum! (BTW, I have V-Clubs and I love 'em...)

Comment

ebay is good.never had a problem.just do some checking around.you'll be amazed what you can get for 2000 or 2500.......or less if ya dont want the td10.
      Attached Files
      -i can levitate birds and no one cares-----------V-CONCERT,CY12H-CY15R/SPD-20-XP-60 V-STUDIO 1824CD,DAUZ PADS,NO RYTHYM AND MISC.CRAP 9"HART SPLASH/AKAI S5000/ASSLOAD OF SAMPLES

Comment

Originally posted by Rythmstik
        As has been stated many times here, by more venerable and aged members than myself, use most xlnt search engine!
        Welcome to the forum! (BTW, I have V-Clubs and I love 'em...)
        Actually, I've been lurking for some months now. I have tried searching for an FAQ or Frequently Asked Question post, but turned up nothing. (FAQ is too short for the search engine). The FAQ button at top only addresses how to use Forum and appears to be the standard stuff that came with the forum software.

These were questions that did not jump out at me from browsing the board. I suppose they could have been a little better thought out though.

Nonetheless, your point is well taken. I have some time before I go down and make a purchase and will search the boards some more. Most likely that will lead to mroe questions
        That Dan Guy

Comment

it's late here(for me) but i will post an indepth reply to all of your questions or i can reply to an email off the board.for tonight its sleepy time beddybye for me
          -i can levitate birds and no one cares-----------V-CONCERT,CY12H-CY15R/SPD-20-XP-60 V-STUDIO 1824CD,DAUZ PADS,NO RYTHYM AND MISC.CRAP 9"HART SPLASH/AKAI S5000/ASSLOAD OF SAMPLES

Comment

Most XLNT Seach God is at your service, however ...

in answer to ...

1. It depends. They are defintely safe (or not) if you are able to take them for a test drive. If you're going ebay or classifieds, well you don't need anyone to tell you the risk do you?

2. Yes AND No. Depends on what system you are referring to and how well you can innovate.

3. Depends on what system (and source) you are referring to. Some out there give you 100% statisfaction, others 90 days parts & labor. Shop!

4. Depends on your style of playing I suppose. We've had people hit PD-7/9's so hard that the mounting hardware broke before the pad. However, as a result of the h/w failure the pads suffered. I recall they were quite easy to fix.

5. Hart & Pintech are xlnt budgetary alternatives. Recomendations can only be offered once you have firmly established you requirements.

6. Better? Maybe. But don't take a chance. Do whatever it takes to test-drive this stuff. Also, very important : E-drums are a totally different instrument than Acoustics. You cannot migrate your chops from one to the other. You could do some serious physical harm to yourself.

Take care,
            -Marc.

Comment

Thank you

That gets me pushed in a direction. I looked through Ebay again last night as per GRRAVEE's suggestion and found the prices and selection incredible compared to 6 months ago when I first looked. Maybe people are more apt to sell in the summer? Or 6 months ago I really had no clue what I was looking at.

I'm still filled with questions and look forward to any more response people may have. I'm kind of technically minded (being a computer geek and Network Admin/engineer) so maybe I'll assemble some kind of FAQ after I'm done.

Which brings me to another question: Is there some kind of list of Frequently Asked Questions in regards to Electonic drums out there? I havn't seen one, but I could easily have missed it.

Daniel
              That Dan Guy

Comment

1.yes used kits are GENERALLY safe to buy...i'd only use ebay w/great feedback.

2.from a plug and play standpoint, no.just snare and cymbals will be dual trig.there are methods....but you don't wanna melt your brain with that one yet trust me.lol.

3/4.warranty........ never got into it..probably a year.....like most elec. gear. durable?very much so.i use roland and hart dynamics and dauz.although i've heard many reports of the cy-6 weak construction.

5.i use a hart snare.(pro series)like 220.00 @ music123.com
                all around great product.looks, feel etc.i love it.i'm going to get a couple of the hart 8" toms simply cause i like the snare so much.plus a lifetime warranty.the roland vdrums are amazing.playing thrash rock jazz or whatever at 2:00 am without bugging a soul is incredible.playing along to your fav.bands is awesome.the v-cymbals are great.the pd-9 andpd-7 are sturdy great triggers in my opinion. i use the kd-7 kick.it's quick.

hope this helps atleast a little.email me if you need more info or have a question so stupid you don't wanna post it..lol

good luck to you.see ya on the board.
                Attached Files

Comment

dual triggers

Originally posted by GRRAVEE

2.from a plug and play standpoint, no.just snare and cymbals will be dual trig.there are methods....but you don't wanna melt your brain with that one yet trust me.lol.
                  Thanks for the answers. In the coming weeks I'll get them narrower and more specifc.

So, the above answer to question 2 seems to be that yes, you can get the dual triggers on a dual trigger pad to trigger seperately on an input other than snare or cymbal, it is simply a pain in the rear.

Is this a hardware issue (something to do with the inputs or pads) or a software issue (something to do with the sound samples themselves)?
                  That Dan Guy

Comment

Re: Need advice on 1st E-kit

Originally posted by danielrg
                    5. And finally, alternate pads: Dang those Vdrum pads are epensive! Are Pintech or Hart Dynamics good alternitives? And if so, which do you recomend?

Yes, there are alternative drumpads. But my experiences with them aren't good. I figured out that most drum modules in general work best with their own pads. Especially for functions like positional sensing (it's for instance quite important to tune/tension your snare drum properly), pressure sensing, etc.)
                    Nevertheless: several members are happy with the Pintech or Hart pads. Do a search on that.
                    Robert

Comment

under the search engine you can look up "shack" or "y adapter" make sure you clear your harddrive first.......lol.

Comment

Working...
                      X