Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Double Overhand Crossover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Overhand Crossover

Has anyone here mastered this? I have seen many drummers do it and have heard Mr Peart speak of it but unfortunately, he never gave away the "secret". I had forgotten about it until I witnessed him (Peart) do it again last night on the Buddy Memorial Concert on the Drum Channel. He makes it look so easy and sound so cool.
    Anyone got any tips?
    The blues are here to take me and to drag me down to hell...

I, for one, have definitely not mastered it. Heh. I always end up whacking my sticks together. It is cool looking though and my instructor can do it with ease.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
      I, for one, have definitely not mastered it. Heh. I always end up whacking my sticks together. It is cool looking though and my instructor can do it with ease.
      "double overhand crossover" put into Google...results in 1 hit. This thread.

Pardon my ignorance....but what is "double overhand crossover"?

Comment

I'm thinking it's the art of playing the floor tom and snare in alternating beats, and often used in quick fills. Once you've mastered that, go ahead and try doing it behind your back like Donnie Marples did...

I've seen drum lines do a similar trick and play notes on their neighbors drum. Besides sounding cool, it looks awesome.

In any case, it's far beyond my current capabilities, and I wouldn't even attepmt it without wearing safety goggles...
        Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

I always end up whacking my sticks together.
          That should make it perfect for claves practice then!

Oh yeah...what Colquhoun said...Pardon my ignorance....but what is "double overhand crossover"? It sounds messy and dangerous.
          Hawk snare, toms, and bass; Hart ECII crashes & ride; VH-10 Hihat; Iron Cobra double-bass.
          "I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

All that stuff looks cool, but I personally would rather have a drummer sound amazing vs. all the "stick flair". Although I'm working on on throwing my sticks and spinning them and such now a lot, but practice goes into playing before tricks. I just mess with stuff when I can. Crossovers are a lot harder than they look too. I've just started toying with them for practice, but can't see myself acutally using them live or at a show unless I was just showing off.
            Check out my NEW eBay Store: V-Drum Emporium!

Comment

I know a guy who can do double stroke rolls using double crossovers. Each note of the double stroke on a different drum. Usually alternating between the snare and floor tom. It is a site to behold.
              sigpic

Comment

Ahem....

WHAT'S A DOUBLE CROSSOVER ???!?!?!

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Colquhoun View Post
                  Ahem....

WHAT'S A DOUBLE CROSSOVER ???!?!?!

Thank you.
                  Yeah ... what is it? Is it what Peart is doing at 6:46 to 7:00 between the snare and the floor toms on both his right and left?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuOTkrEVeb4

Steve
                  Roland TD-12, 4-piece kit (very downsized) setup
                  http://www.vdrums.com/forum/attachme...0&d=1180324146
                  Gretsch New Classic, Yamaha & Ludwig snares
                  Agop SE, Vintage A Zildjian, K, K Custom Dark, Sabian HHX Legacy
                  DW Hardware

Comment

That would be my guess. A real-crowd pleaser, that!

Comment

If you look in the DVD, "anatomy of a drum solo" Neil explains the mechanics of that and does it in slow motion. I added it to my routine. I can only do it at a snail's pace but practicing it does help me keep my hands out of each others ways while doing other movements.
                      TD-6v, (3x)CY-8, (4x)PD-8's (2x)PD-6's (1x)PD-80R (1)KD-8 http://www.cstoliker.com/Drums/

Comment

That's IT ?!
                        Not that I 'm saying it's easy, I'm sure it's not at all.
                        Just not what I expected. I guess I'm more "go" than "show" kind of guy.

...off now to give it a try...

Comment

These crossovers will blow your mind.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHdUjQAXcxM
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sshu View Post
                            between the snare and the floor toms on both his right and left?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuOTkrEVeb4

Steve
                            You got it... cool eh

Comment

These crossovers will blow your mind.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHdUjQAXcxM

Ya he's fast but if you listen close during the crossovers, I think you can hear his sticks clicking together. I like his relaxivity though. Very cool left hand during the press rolls.

Comment

Working...
                              X