Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does he do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does he do it?

I know this has been posted before, my question is how does he do it? Are these sounds in the TD 20 ?
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=15871180
    www.myspace.com/tongueingrooveTd 20 Purple Fade V Session Cy15, 2x Cy14, Cy8, Asi+ Crown k2 amps, BBE max. Legion 15's, Madison 18 subs, Tama,Yamaha hardware.
    Your never as good or bad as you think you are !

He is using MIDI to trigger a Roland Fantom XR rack module. (which is an outstanding unit BTW)
    That would give you more than enough sounds and you can switch between different sets of sounds using a different patch on the synth easily switched with a pad or foot switch.

Watch his right foot and you can see him switch some things every now and then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LZxw...eature=related
    See the credits for the hardware used.

Very nice production
    Last edited by weldman; 10-19-08, 02:05 AM.
    Dave
    Sonic Orb Studios
    My Youtube

My kit is custom running 10, 12, 14" toms, a 12" snare, 2 crash, 1 ride, 1 splash, and dual kick drum all plugged into a
    Roland TD-6V module which runs MIDI to Superior Drummer 2

Comment

Oscar has done some really cool things over the past year or so. I only wish I had the patience to sit down and program/edit/prepare that much midi performance/trigger information. In reality, it's very simple to do (with the appropriate equipment and midi tracks of course) and much of it is simply ripped from available midi already on the net. He's just putting the one-shots and step note parts where he needs them. Still, can you imagine the time it takes to set up the note, one-shot, etc triggering - let alone the time and practice to remember it all? Geez! I definitely give kudos to him. He's got my respect!

To answer the OP question - yes, he's using a Fantom (which are incredibly awesome by the way) and it's on-board sequencing. The TD-20 is simply tied to it via midi and not only allows him to play drums along; but actually allows him to trigger the various parts at the sequencer via the midi connectivity.
      Alan
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

So that's what Roland did on a few of their kits. I enjoyed some on the TD6V module.
        So Alan how about a Vex pack like that.
        I think every drummer would love to create their own songs, i know i would!
        If not then i think I'm going to have a Fantom Gas attack!
        www.myspace.com/tongueingrooveTd 20 Purple Fade V Session Cy15, 2x Cy14, Cy8, Asi+ Crown k2 amps, BBE max. Legion 15's, Madison 18 subs, Tama,Yamaha hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by SIZZLE View Post
          So that's what Roland did on a few of their kits. I enjoyed some on the TD6V module.
          So Alan how about a Vex pack like that.
          I think every drummer would love to create their own songs, i know i would!
          If not then i think I'm going to have a Fantom Gas attack!
          a MIDI synth would be your best bet. Reason being you have 16 channels to work with. I think it's more flexible than using standard samples in something like a VEX kit.

I would also love to be able to make songs like that guy but the time and learning are too much for me...
          I hardly understand MIDI as is...
          Dave
          Sonic Orb Studios
          My Youtube

My kit is custom running 10, 12, 14" toms, a 12" snare, 2 crash, 1 ride, 1 splash, and dual kick drum all plugged into a
          Roland TD-6V module which runs MIDI to Superior Drummer 2

Comment

You should be able to accomplish this with the TD-20's GM sound set using the Chain function. You just set up the chord change/tap patterns on various kits and step through them as you need to. The same thing is possible with a DTXtreme, DTX V2 or a Drumkat and synth combo.
            Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

I'm midi challenged but i would really like to be able to do this. Maybe start with what jrcel said which I'm totally not clear on .Time to read the manual. Thanks for everyone's input.

Comment

Working...
              X