Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roger Taylor's growing kit drum solo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roger Taylor's growing kit drum solo

I went to see Queen & Paul Rodgers the other day (Ok, so it ain't as good as the old days with Freddy, but they still put on a good show).
    After playing the double bass with his drum sticks (!), for his drum solo Roger Taylor starts out on the catwalk in the middle of the audience with a bass drum, snare and hi-hat. As he plays the roadies progressively bring out and add on toms and rototoms, ride and crash cymbals until he is playing full kit at the end of the catwalk, whereupon the rest of the band join in and they play a few songs with Roger on vocals taking centre stage. It was pretty neat, especially as I was only about 10-15 feet directly in front of him in the crowd. First time I've seen that done; although Russ Miller does it in reverse in one of his DVDs - as the camera shot changes you slowly begin to realize his kit is disappearing until he's just left with one or two bits of kit.

watch Roger's solo here

OK, so it may not be the best solo drumming performance in the world, but at least he made an effort to do something different - especially as I often think drum solos are boring anyway!
    Last edited by Swaledale; 10-18-08, 10:34 AM.

Very entertaining. Bringing out the kit pieces was brilliant. Thanks for the video.
    sigpic

Comment

I've found a better quality video than the Antwerp one (this one might be from Moscow) so have updated the video link on the first post.

Comment

Cool! Thanks for posting! Druming on that electric double bass is fun...
        TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
        ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
        not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Awww man, I was actually thinking about this a few weeks ago, how it'd be cool to start with just a hi-hat, then have someone bring out the snare and eventually a bass drum and get a little groove going and have the kit built up around you why playing a solo. The only thing I couldnt figure out was in a large setting how do you deal with mics and cables? wouldnt that be difficult? Unless you got wireless mics for the kit but good positions on the ones that arent mounted on a drum would cause a problem.
          **New kit construction complete. Pangea is born**SPD-S, Malletkat Express w/ Kurzweil PC-2R, Mackie DFX-12 mixer and a pair JBL EON G2 15" amps with an Eon 518-S Sub.

11pc. Pearl kit with custom marble swirl finish, and Sabian Cymbals.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks mate,awesome.Im a huge fan.
            TD3 + SPD-6 and love it

Comment

idiot reported
              TD3 + SPD-6 and love it

Comment

Interesting to see that he has another kit at the back of the stage. He also seems to have abandoned Sleishman, the Australian company which has supplied his previous kits. They use a suspension system through which the heads are attached to each other rather than the shell, to increase resonance. You can spot them because there are no lugs - just a rod between the two heads.
                And the solo itself seem to be a triumph of style of substance. IMO Roger's playing is not startling, but the impact is huge.
                . digitalDrummer
                Review index

Comment

Originally posted by allanjohn View Post
                  Interesting to see that he has another kit at the back of the stage. He also seems to have abandoned Sleishman, the Australian company which has supplied his previous kits. They use a suspension system through which the heads are attached to each other rather than the shell, to increase resonance. You can spot them because there are no lugs - just a rod between the two heads.
                  And the solo itself seem to be a triumph of style of substance. IMO Roger's playing is not startling, but the impact is huge.
                  Yeh, he had his regular kit on the main stage. About an hour in to the gig he comes out onto the catwalk with a tambourine and bass drum to accompany Brian May on acoustic guitar for one song. Then he goes into the double-bass/guitar routine and the roadies start to build the kit round him, as you see in the video link.

Comment

Working...
                  X