Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VDrum Acceptance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VDrum Acceptance

Stumbled on some interesting videos of old state of the art Simmons kits. I swear this must still be what most people think of when you mention electronic drums.

Simmons SDX electronic drums, refurbed by Bill Bruford's engineer, heard on Doobie Brothers The Doctor, played by Keith Knudson

Makes me wonder how the rest of Yes put up with Bill through this phase

Great videos...I'm a fan of Yes for 30+ years. Thanks Man
    chris :D

Comment

Ah yeah... the vintage Simmons kits. Genesis brought them along for the Invisible Touch album, and even We Can't Dance. I remember the first couple incarnations not even having rubber playing surfaces, but hard plastic. Absolutely horrible to play on for any extended periods of time... extremely limited dynamics, and a grossly electronic sound Nevermind the fortune that they cost - making the TD-20 kit look cheap by comparison.

HOWEVER... they were also the prioneer. Without them - we would not be where we are today.

Heheh... anyone remember this little gadget? I had one...

Comment

Almost forgot about this too - would plug into cheap casio keyboards...

Comment

Originally posted by srobak View Post
          Ah yeah... the vintage Simmons kits.... I remember the first couple incarnations not even having rubber playing surfaces, but hard plastic. Absolutely horrible to play on for any extended periods of time... extremely limited dynamics, and a grossly electronic sound
          The plastic version was my first ekit, some 12 years ago, it was cheap, but still, it was truly awful. Still, it did mean I could play without hassle from the neighbours. I dont think my wrists ever truly recovered hahahaaaaa
          Cheers
          Paul

Comment

My wife bought one of those for $1.00 a few years back...
            chris :D

Comment

I love old SDX videos. At one time or another I owned nearly every electronic drums in the early days. I have had some Simmons pads but never a complete set with brain and all. The early Pearl electronics lasted me about 3 months and the same with the Tama's.

Here is a picture of the best of my early kits, put together by my current bandleader who insisted I use electronics back in 1989. It was 2 Roland PD31 (4 trigger triangle shaped pads), 3 DIY 10" tom pads and a "tombstone" DIY bass drum. All of it was powered by an Alesis HR16 drum machine through a Casio DZ-1 midi translater.

One Roland was the snare/rimshot/cowbell and the other was the ride/lg crash/sm crash & tamborine. The HH was an acoutic on a cable extension (built from scratch by Jeff because of a shoulder injury.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by drumslinger50 View Post
                I love old SDX videos. At one time or another I owned nearly every electronic drums in the early days. I have had some Simmons pads but never a complete set with brain and all. The early Pearl electronics lasted me about 3 months and the same with the Tama's.

Here is a picture of the best of my early kits, put together by my current bandleader who insisted I use electronics back in 1989. It was 2 Roland PD31 (4 trigger triangle shaped pads), 3 DIY 10" tom pads and a "tombstone" DIY bass drum. All of it was powered by an Alesis HR16 drum machine through a Casio DZ-1 midi translater.

One Roland was the snare/rimshot/cowbell and the other was the ride/lg crash/sm crash & tamborine. The HH was an acoutic on a cable extension (built from scratch by Jeff because of a shoulder injury.
                talk about pioneers, that hi-hat design should win some kind of award.

Comment

Hey, it's the ol' Synsonics pad! I had one, too. Back in junior high/high school, I added one to my first a-kit. It sat to the left and below my hi-hat. I guess that would have been my first experiment with electronic percussion.

Did you have the foot pedals that went with it? It was a single unit with two small spring-loaded buttons. One button would open and close the hat. The other was for the kick. Pretty fancy, eh?
                  >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

Wonder how much a SDX # 118 system went for brand new? And when was new?
                    TD-6v, (3x)CY-8, (4x)PD-8's (2x)PD-6's (1x)PD-80R (1)KD-8 http://www.cstoliker.com/Drums/

Comment

According to Modern Drummer's review in 1988... the basic 10 piece system was as follows:

Standard console
                      2MB RAM
                      Bass pad
                      Snare pad
                      4x Tom pads
                      Hi-hat system
                      3x Cymbal pads
                      Cabling

MSRP $9990

Console stand is $400
                      Drum rack is $635
                      2MB RAM expansion is $900 (can add 6 for a total of 8)

20MB Hard Drive $1750 (yes, that is MEGA Bytes, not Giga. )

Small fortune.

Comment

haha, and danny carey used the sdx up until relatively recently!

Comment

According to Modern Drummer's review in 1988... the basic 10 piece system was as follows:

Standard console
                          2MB RAM
                          Bass pad
                          Snare pad
                          4x Tom pads
                          Hi-hat system
                          3x Cymbal pads
                          Cabling

MSRP $9990

Console stand is $400
                          Drum rack is $635
                          2MB RAM expansion is $900 (can add 6 for a total of 8)

20MB Hard Drive $1750 (yes, that is MEGA Bytes, not Giga. )

Small fortune.

http://www.jymdingler.com/extras/SimmonsSDXReview.pdf
                          This reminds me of the Macintosh IIfx, from 1990.
                          40 mhz chip, and 4 mb of ram. Yes, I typed that correctly.
                          Dubbed "wicked" fast...and at the time, it was.

Price? $9,900.

And people complain about how expensive Macs and Roland Vdrums are NOW!

Comment

Working...
                          X