Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Drum Throne Positioning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum Throne Positioning?

I'm fairly new to drumming. I want to know how I should position my Throne(seat) for proper high hat and kick drum use.

I'm 6'4 someone said I should have the bend at my knees perfectly flat(not high or low...flat) that still seems a little straining.

How is yours set? does it matter? should I just postition it for comfort or playability

There's no rule.

I just noticed that my drum throne is about the same height as the chair in my office (not that I am posting from work or anything...). Maybe a couple of inches higher than the chairs at my dining room table.

Experiment--try to find a height that is comfortable and ecourages good posture. Avoid slouching, stretching, straining and any unnecessary tension in your arms, wrists, legs, ankles back--well anywhere.

Look at where your pedals are positioned in relation to your throne too. It's not a bad idea to start with a bass drum, hi hat and throne. Get these components in a comfortable position and build your kit up from there.
    Check out my music: http://www.myspace.com/kellypaletta

Comment

Originally posted by klp :
      It's not a bad idea to start with a bass drum, hi hat and throne. Get these components in a comfortable position and build your kit up from there.
      KLP, that is XLNT advice! You a right on target. Also, mark those positions on your pad/carpet for future reference (gigs, etc.).

----
      -~

Comment

There is a rule: for a proper blood circulation and use of muscles the thigh and paw (are these the correct English words for upper and lower leg?) should be in a 90 degree angle. So: never sit too high or too low.

BTW: these are the same rules for people who do a lot of personal computer work at an office to avoid problems with their limbs. Next do the tips KLP says (start with hi-hat, bass drum and throne) and built the rest of the drum kit around it.
        Robert

Comment

Re: Drum Throne Positioning?

I have been around for a few years, and i know how I want things to be.. Here's what and how i do things, when setting up a new kit or playing someone elses:

Throne: I like the angle of my knees to be slightly more than 90 degrees, i also place my snare (in height) according to how i set my seating. If you sit TOO high, you will have problems with cramps, especially if playing heel down all the time. This is of course very individually.

But a thumb-rule is: Place your feet where it feels natural after setting op your seating, and see if you can apply hi-hat and bassdrum pedal where your feet are then.. If that works, that is the best possible solution for ya. I do the same thing for tom's and cymbals..it may look a bit odd, but feels great.

Paradidle - A simple rudiment you need a lifetime to master.

Comment

Re: Re: Drum Throne Positioning?

Originally posted by pgilberg
            If you sit TOO high, you will have problems with cramps, especially if playing heel down all the time.

Correct. Same when you sit too low. Hence the 90 degrees advice.
            Robert

Comment

I sit at the lowest position my old Tama throne will go. Even then my legs are at an angle that is ever so slightly greater than 90 degrees--but pretty darn close.

It is interesting that this topic would come up this week. A couple of days ago I saw the following picture of Billy Cobham. I would definitely not be comfortable sitting that high...

You can see a picture of me seated behind my Gretsch set at: http://navinthejerk0.tripod.com/navinshideaway/
              Check out my music: http://www.myspace.com/kellypaletta

Comment

Originally posted by klp :
                ... I saw the following picture of Billy Cobham. I would definitely not be comfortable sitting that high...
                Billy's been around a long, long time. Doesn't seem to have affected his chops. Here's another good ol' fellow with a similar type of sit, don't think it affected him either...

Bottomline is what is comfortable for you, no matter what anybody else suggests. Remember, good posture is the main thing, try different heights and go for it! As for me, I've always been a 90-deg.dude.

----
                -~

Comment

Working...
                X