Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

The great kd7 vs mesh debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The great kd7 vs mesh debate

Hello,

I just read all threads related to the kd-80 as I am upgrading my v-club with this right off the bat (should have all my Vs by week's end).

I was surprised to see the strong responses AGAINST the mesh bass drum pads and in favor of the inverted-beater rubber-stump KD-7s. I played many different showroom models of V-sessions, V-concerts, etc. and Did feel that the KD-80 or KD-120 had more ultimate potential. However, because I was a "bury the beater in the drum head" player, maybe I have some trouble coming my way with my KD-80?

I got the KD-80 for the possibility of a more realistic feel and also for the possibility of using a set of Gibraltar double bass pedals I got to go with my set.

So, while I am not trying to full stir up the debate, what are the advantages of the mesh-head bass drum pads? It seems that tension makes a difference in whether the feel will be springy and bouncy (sorta like a real drum eh?).

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jeff

Huh-huh, say "mesh debate" really fast.
    substrike.com for a better tomorrow - today!
    My Drums
    Tama Rockstar Acoustics, Zildjian and Wuhan Cymbals, Roland SPD-20, Roland PM-16, Akai S2000 w/Iomega 250 SCSI Zip, 2 Pintech Silentech Pads (one single zone, one dual zone), Kat F.A.T. Pedal, Pintech K3, Simmons pads.

Comment

shaddup beavis..................huh huh he said meshdabate.....huh huh.

good one my man good one.
      Attached Files
      -i can levitate birds and no one cares-----------V-CONCERT,CY12H-CY15R/SPD-20-XP-60 V-STUDIO 1824CD,DAUZ PADS,NO RYTHYM AND MISC.CRAP 9"HART SPLASH/AKAI S5000/ASSLOAD OF SAMPLES

Comment

BD Mesh pads

I agree with the assessments; however, I like the mesh bass drum because I can easily use conventional pedals with it (such as my Iron Cobras!).
        V-Pro/TD-20, Matching Black Vintage Ludwig

Comment

Re: The great kd7 vs mesh debate

Originally posted by JeffVA :
          However, because I was a "bury the beater in the drum head" player, maybe I have some trouble coming my way with my KD-80?
          Hi Jeff - Yes I believe you will have some trouble with the meshes. That tuff ol' KD-7 is tailor-made for the drummer with a lead foot.

Comment

mesh is ok

I've replaced my KD-7 for a mesh-bassdrumand am really pleased with it. And everybody in the house as well! (it takes a lot of the noise away for your downstair neighbours)

Groet, Cas
            DIY!!! www.mosphat.com/drumcas

Comment

Thanks for all the input. It seems that the V-drum crowd are roughly split 50/50 on the issue. Since I went with the KD-80, I'll have to adapt to it.

Thanks!

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by c. jude
                KD-7s RULE! Heh heh. I always wanted to say that. Meshdebate. Now that's funny.
                I know if Steveo the Devo was lurking about, he would have said this.
                Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

I use two KD7's. And find it's very easy to fix so far, if you encounter problems with mis-triggers(Bit but no sound comes out). I have posted some suggestions earlier last year if you have mis-triggering problems.

Recently I found it's also very easy to fix if you have solder problems in the Piezzo inside the gel like substance inside the rubber "knob". The Piezzo is enclosed in a disc round small container and thus isolated from the Gel. So if you can get this disk out, (use a Box knife to cut away the Gel) it's very easy to fix solder problems on the Piezzo. Now my KD7's like new again.

Fon.
                  Fon.

TD8 with PD7's, 2 KD7's (From previous TD7)
                  Tama Rockstar with mix of Sabian, Zildjian and Paiste.

Comment

Originally posted by R27789
                    Recently I found it's also very easy to fix if you have solder problems in the Piezzo inside the gel like substance inside the rubber "knob". The Piezzo is enclosed in a disc round small container and thus isolated from the Gel. So if you can get this disk out, (use a Box knife to cut away the Gel) it's very easy to fix solder problems on the Piezzo. Now my KD7's like new again.

Fon.
                    Interesting. I have a dead KD7 from my Church. It died a few months ago. I opened it up but it didn't look fixable. Maybe I'll try surgury. I don't have much to lose since you can't kill a corpse. Of course, if I fix it it's gonna cost me $$ for another pedal. And I'm not so sure I want another of what I have now, and that means more money, and then I have to build another upright stand to convert the KD7 to match what I already have. Hmmm, thanks a lot Fon! You big troublemaker. Maybe I'll just forget I ever read this post.
                    Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

heh...boingo.....lol....corpse....heh.can't kill it..woohoo......ahem.ok i'm better now.
                      -i can levitate birds and no one cares-----------V-CONCERT,CY12H-CY15R/SPD-20-XP-60 V-STUDIO 1824CD,DAUZ PADS,NO RYTHYM AND MISC.CRAP 9"HART SPLASH/AKAI S5000/ASSLOAD OF SAMPLES

Comment

Boingo,
                        You can always send that "corpse" to me. I'll raise it up on the Vdrum's equivalent of the 3rd day.

Fon.
                        Fon.

TD8 with PD7's, 2 KD7's (From previous TD7)
                        Tama Rockstar with mix of Sabian, Zildjian and Paiste.

Comment

Working...
                        X