Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jethro Tull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jethro Tull

Just in case there are some folks here who like bands IN ADDITION to Rush, , I just picked up and watched ""Living With the Past", a new DVD from Jethro Tull.

Doane Perry plays some very interesting stuff here, with some awesome polyrhythmic tom fills, and the band is simply brilliant.

Some nice touches :

Several songs recorded in a club with the This Was lineup, but done very recently, with Clive Bunker on drums, and Mick Abrahams on guitar. Clive is the bomb.

Mick, BTW, left after the first album and formed Blodwyn Pig - my first favorite band - and, I dare say, possibly the first "Fusion" band to hit these shores. (?) I still love their music - a decidedly British blend of rock, jazz, and blues - and hopefully will be covering some of their tunes with a new band of which I am a part.

Also there are some nice interviews with the band members ( the bass player talks about how he is still scared sh1tless playing this music - especially his bass solo!), as well as with die-hard fans.

There is also an intimate session with Ian Anderson playing guitar and singing with a small orchestra as it was taped, which is just amazing.

Good stuff!
    Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

love tull thanks for the info........ian's got a masters set that came out a few years back that is a must have.........lotsa folk type stuff...........by dunringill,summerday sands...etc etc.
    -i can levitate birds and no one cares-----------V-CONCERT,CY12H-CY15R/SPD-20-XP-60 V-STUDIO 1824CD,DAUZ PADS,NO RYTHYM AND MISC.CRAP 9"HART SPLASH/AKAI S5000/ASSLOAD OF SAMPLES

Comment

tull up to 1977 is killer (saw song from the woods tour) early tull is da bomb.

Comment

Ahhh the memories. A friend turned me on to Stand Up. I believe that was their second album. I got into each successive album for several years. I got to see them in Philly on the Thick as a Brick tour. I was always impressed with the drums. The concert was awesome. At the end of the song and set, Ian starts to say the last line, "as thick as a brick", and someone throws something and hits him in the face. Needless to say, he was pissed. Fortunately he wasn't hurt, cooled off and continued with a lot of Aqualung and earlier stuff. I still can see him doing Bouree in his classic pose with flute in hand. Interest waned in the 80's and I didn't follow them that close. I still whip out the old Tull from time to time.

Speaking of getting hit, I went to an Aerosmith concert, also in Philly, and during the 3rd song, Steven Tyler gets hit with a bottle. I believe he required a few stitches. Needless to say, that was the end of the concert. It couldn't have been more than a 20 minute show. It was a long time before they ever played Philly after that incident.

Flashback over.
        Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Tull is an amazing band and very influential. I have seen an old 70's Tull video with a really good drummer...dont remember his name. Barlow something??? Anyway, they are a great band and like Yes, were really influential during the 70's. It's good to see we are talking about other bands other then Rush for a change!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mbrg
            Tull is an amazing band and very influential. I have seen an old 70's Tull video with a really good drummer...dont remember his name. Barlow something??? Anyway, they are a great band and like Yes, were really influential during the 70's. It's good to see we are talking about other bands other then Rush for a change!!!
            Not sure of the spelling but I think it was Barrimore Barlow. Quite good!
            Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by mbrg :
              It's good to see we are talking about other bands other then Rush for a change!!!
              Amen to that. I saw them long ago, can't remember the year or the tour ( I guess I suffer from PSS - post-sixties syndrome). I just remember the bass player and his axe in a b&w zebra motif and all these foxes coming on stage with big white white afros. Anyone?

----
              -~

Comment

Originally posted by Marc.

Amen to that. I saw them long ago, can't remember the year or the tour ( I guess I suffer from PSS - post-sixties syndrome). I just remember the bass player and his axe in a b&w zebra motif and all these foxes coming on stage with big white white afros. Anyone?

----
                -~
                Sounds like you did a little too much LDS!

(credit to J. Kirk - don't want to get accused of plagarism)

Comment

funny you mention the LDS.
                  I "saw" Tull in I think it was 76?
                  In CT.
                  I remember J. Geils band was the opener and then Tull was killer but I was around 17 and most of it is lost in the haze.
                  There may have been some mind altering drugs at that show
                  Anyway, Ginger, thanks for a thread that has nothing to do with Rush.
                  No offense to anyone, I like Rush, but Gawd....
                  The original Gig Pig.

Comment

Yes! Barimore Barlow was his name. Fantastic drummer. Tull is a great band it like I said before, it is good we are opening discusion on other bands. There are many great Prog. bands and Rush is just one of them.

Comment

King Crimson, baby! Bruford is a true god!

Comment

Bruford is a god. I saw him with tony levin for the Upper Extremities tour. The guy is a legend......one of my favorite drummers of all time. Close to the Edge!
                        He has done so much for drumming.....
                        Last edited by mbrg; 07-15-02, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mbrg
                          Bruford is a god. I saw him with tony levin for the Upper Extremities tour. The guy is a legend......one of my favorite drummers of all time. Close to the Edge!
                          He has done so much for drumming.....
                          Timing was bad for me on Yes. The first time I saw them, Alan White had only been with them for a few concerts. He was a great, but I was impressed with Bruford and was really dissapointed he had left the band. It was the Close to the Edge tour.

Comment

I never saw yes live, but I would have liked to see the original yes with Bill. Not to knock alan white, but Bill just brought more to the table. What I really admire about Bill is that he truly is a musician and loves what he does and constantly looks for change and improvement. After yes, he went to King Crimson and took on a different style incorporating electronics into his set. Now he is more of a jazz guy. Very relaxed player if you ever watched him. One of the greats........

Comment

bruford has toured many times with yes since his original departure.lots of onetime gigs and atleast two major tours i can think of........you'll get another chance probably.i saw him on the anderson,wakeman,bruford and howe tour aswell as the union tour.featuring rick wakeman-tony kaye steve howe-trevor rabin
                              bill bruford-alan white jon anderson-chris squire.crazy.2 great guitarist,2 great drummers,and 2 great keyboardist and the leaders all on one stage.
                              Attached Files
                              -i can levitate birds and no one cares-----------V-CONCERT,CY12H-CY15R/SPD-20-XP-60 V-STUDIO 1824CD,DAUZ PADS,NO RYTHYM AND MISC.CRAP 9"HART SPLASH/AKAI S5000/ASSLOAD OF SAMPLES

Comment

Working...
                              X