Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Large vs Small sets...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large vs Small sets...

The Picture of Neil's set in the other forum with the Vdrums is really nice. I have always felt that certain drummers maximize what there set has to offer. I have seen many drummers go from ridiculously large sets that they hardly use (more for looks)to small ones. Personally, it impresses me more when a drummer utilizes a small set so well. Neil is a drummer who takes advantage of his entire set, which is impressive due to its larger size. I have never seen Rush live, but I know his drum solos are supposed to be amazing and how he has incorporated electronics into it is amazing. Has anyone ever seen Mystic Rythms live and how he pulls this off? thanks

they played it on power windows tour and on counterparts tour...........yes he pulls it off live and theres a live version of it on one of their compilations i believe
    Attached Files
    -i can levitate birds and no one cares-----------V-CONCERT,CY12H-CY15R/SPD-20-XP-60 V-STUDIO 1824CD,DAUZ PADS,NO RYTHYM AND MISC.CRAP 9"HART SPLASH/AKAI S5000/ASSLOAD OF SAMPLES

Comment

Yes, there is a live version of Mystic Rhythms available on the "A Show Of Hands" CD. You should see the video for that song (studio version), it just totally blows my mind!! The visuals are amazing, especially considering it was 1985. Honestly, I think the studio version is better than the live version, as the live version lacks the synthesizer and vocal flourishes that the studio version has. However, I've never seen it performed live in person .

Definitely an amazing song, though.

And Neil certainly knows how to use all of his kit. There's some things that he has removed that has me baffled though. Like, why would he remove his timbale from his setup, or some of the higher toms?
      substrike.com for a better tomorrow - today!
      My Drums
      Tama Rockstar Acoustics, Zildjian and Wuhan Cymbals, Roland SPD-20, Roland PM-16, Akai S2000 w/Iomega 250 SCSI Zip, 2 Pintech Silentech Pads (one single zone, one dual zone), Kat F.A.T. Pedal, Pintech K3, Simmons pads.

Comment

those are now triggered thru his malletkat when he needs em.......i'd like one but sheesh lotsa money eh....
        -i can levitate birds and no one cares-----------V-CONCERT,CY12H-CY15R/SPD-20-XP-60 V-STUDIO 1824CD,DAUZ PADS,NO RYTHYM AND MISC.CRAP 9"HART SPLASH/AKAI S5000/ASSLOAD OF SAMPLES

Comment

Actually, I've seen him consolidate all of his upper tom to the ones he has now, and he substitutes his 8" tom for a timbale. He has a 12" piccolo that doesn't get enough use, I think (only two songs on the past two albums).
          My Drums
          Tama Rockstar Acoustics, Zildjian and Wuhan Cymbals, Roland SPD-20, Roland PM-16, Akai S2000 w/Iomega 250 SCSI Zip, 2 Pintech Silentech Pads (one single zone, one dual zone), Kat F.A.T. Pedal, Pintech K3, Simmons pads.

Comment

Actually nowadays Neil is concentrating on bass, snare and hi-hat and only uses all the drum parts on a few old songs in during his drum solo. Being part of the prog rock scene I have spoken many symphonic rock drummers who have/had a large set and more and more concentrate on the bass, snare and hh.
            Robert

Comment

Thanks guys. Any suggestions on Rush video/DVD's?? I am a fairly big Rush fan. I own Couterparts, Presto, Farewell to Kings, Test for Echo and Retrospectives I&II. I think it is time for a live video of them.....or to see them in concert. It seems that Neil is the popular favorite on this website...???
              Yeah, it seems to be the natural order of things to go from a very large set when your young, to a smaller set as you get older in life. Just an observation..... I'm sure Portnoy 10years from now will shrink his set too. He is another one who takes the most of his set. My preference would be a 6piece set. It's not the size, but how you use it!!
              Last edited by mbrg; 07-13-02, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mbrg:
                Any suggestions on Rush video/DVD's??

I suggest "Exit Stage Left" & "Grace Under Pressure".

It's not the size, but how you use it!

Yeah, that's what she said.

I started out with 1 bass, 1 snare, 1 tom and 1 cymbal almost 40 years ago, and look at me now. (Maybe I haven't 'peaked' yet )

----
                -~

Comment

To Marc...

Exactly!!

Comment

Originally posted by Harlock

Isn't the the first tom-tom to his left on that picture an 8" (that he only uses for concerts)?
                    Yes.
                    My Drums

Comment

I just bought Chronicles on DVD. I've listened to Rush for years, but today was a first for actually watching them play...on video that is. Eighties videos are very funny looking back at them. Neil is probably the most meticulous drummer I've ever heard.....and I must say he looks VERY STIFF when he plays. (not that it matters)I like the video overall and I'm glad I finally have seen them play......Rush on...

Comment

If you like the videos, you should really see 'em live. Not to downplay Neil's live performances, but at a Rush show, Geddy is the MAN! Put's on a freakin' multi-tasking clinic every night.

They are just a damned good band. Anyone can sound good - in a studio, with proper engineering and production. The live performance is the litmus test. These guys are phenomenal musicians. Find a way to go see them.
                        -Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Neil is probably the most meticulous drummer I've ever heard.....and I must say he looks VERY STIFF when he plays...
                          See?? Nobody wants to believe me. Neil is not flesh & blood. Let's give credit to the na-nytes!

----
                          -~

Comment

na-nytes?? Flesh and blood? Neil plays like a machine. If you like that style, then he is great. Rush is one of my favorite bands, but I dont want to play like Neil. I really like there music, and I wouldnt want to hear anybody else in Rush, but his style is not my favorite. I know what I am saying is contradicting to a point. Sometimes I think he is too mechanical. Just my opinion. Every drummer has there nich, and unique style. But again, he fits in with Rush so well therefore his style is perfect for there kind of music.....

Comment

... It seems that Neil is the popular favorite on this website...???
                              Seems like it to me, oh well. Sure wish this was the late 60's/early 70's. I wonder who'd we be talkin' 'bout.

... Neil is probably the most meticulous drummer I've ever heard.....and I must say he looks VERY STIFF when he plays.
                              Yeah, he looks like someone on 'on-the-job', very serious, no mistakes, no emotion. Reminds me of an old video I have titled Cobham Meets Bellson. Man what a drum battle! And what a difference in playing style. Cobham (w/a very large set) is xlnt! However, he looks like it takes every bit of muscle & energy in him to pull it off, drippin' gobs and gobs of sweat. Bellson, on the other hand, looks as though he's takin' a fine spring day walk in the park, smiling, very cool and precise, and playing like he's having the party of his life. Very inspirational for me.

----
                              -~

Comment

Working...
                              X