Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great female drummers discussion

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great female drummers discussion

After looking at the lists of everyone fav's, I don't see too many if any women drummers on those lists. In fact, there AREN'T any great female drummers out there. At least none that would compete with Mike Mangini or Virgil Donati. Why is that? I know there are some female drummers because they have vidz on you tube. But what happens to these women? Do they cave into the pressure to be feminine? That couldn't be true because we have female body builders, boxers and wrestlers. Weird.
    Music is not my passion, it's my obsession...
    www.oblyvion.com
    Facebook:[Scych]
    You Tube Scychful
    Twitter:@Raakinn

Ooh boy - is this thread going to go for a ride!

Maybe because it seems most female drummers who are highly visible are with "girl groups" - and not necessarily noted for standout music outside that image, being part of a "supergroup", conduct workshops, etc in a traditional sense?

Also, it seems that many females with more traditional groups of mixed-sex composition are not the drummer - more likely being on guitar, keyboard, just vocals, etc?

And many females who are well known as musicians primarily are vocalists - with a significant number also playing an instument like the ones I just mentioned - both of which can be regarded and used as solo acts also. However, the drums aren't exactly known as a solo instrument - so the female may not "break out" and/or stand out in that regard.
    Hart Pro 6.4 (Hammered Chrome), Roland TD-8, Gibraltar Throne w/ Backrest, Tama Iron Cobra Bass Pedal, ALTEC A7-500 "Voice of the Theatre" Speaker/Horn System with Sunn Concert Slave amp and lot of other audio stuff, Sony MDR-7506 Headphones, Zildjian DipSticks - and Czech Skorpian, Heckler & Koch MP5, etc Submachine Guns to stick out the window behind my kit for some quite unique fills...

Comment

The greatest female drummer, Karen Carpenter. Trouble was, she had the voice and everybody wanted her out front. Not sitting behind a kit.

Even the great Buddy Rich thought she was brilliant.

Such a shame she had to die so young.

If I could be half the drummer she was I'd be very happy.

Comment

Most women are not content with being hidden behind a drum kit...they want to be up front to show off their outfits.

I think I should get a pseudonym like SDG and MR
        Last edited by bogiesbad; 09-21-08, 07:46 PM.
        chris :D

Comment

Originally posted by John.b View Post
          The greatest female drummer, Karen Carpenter. Trouble was, she had the voice and everybody wanted her out front. Not sitting behind a kit.

Even the great Buddy Rich thought she was brilliant.

Such a shame she had to die so young.

If I could be half the drummer she was I'd be very happy.
          That's right I forgot about her. She was a TOTAL freak of nature, singing like that and playing drums at the same time. Wow!!! That's what I call talent. Okay so Karen Carpenter broke the mold. But few if any could follow that act.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dJUnh6N8-U

Check out all those 70's style drum shells.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o2uw...eature=related
          www.oblyvion.com
          You Tube Scychful

Comment

It's really nice to see Karen Carpenter remembered - such a sad loss of her wonderful voice and drumming.

How about Sheila E. in the list? Another talented musician.

Comment

As far as the music was concerned, Karen thought of herself as a drummer first and a singer second. When she was behind a kit she was alive. You could see it in her face.

She loved the drums, and personally, I think, if she had'nt been forced away from them, she'd still be alive today, Inspiring others.

She did'nt want to be out-front. Too much pressure on appearance, and that's when it all went pear shaped for her I think.

I could never understand that. She was a nice looking girl, nice figure, and great talent.

Comment

Originally posted by John.b View Post

Even the great Buddy Rich thought she was brilliant...
                I was actually thinking of her, and recalling prior discussion of her, as I typed my initial response.

Unfortunately, many folks didn't notice her drumming due to her enormous vocal talent and accomplishments - despite her fantastic drumming talent being occasionally included and even highlighted when her performances were broadcast, especially during her and her brother's own TV variety show.

One factor that is probably vital is that it was almost 40 years ago - at a time when media exposure, TV broadcasting, and just general personality marketing were extremely limited and far from instant in contrast to more modern times.

You could say that she was a couple of generations before her time - and no one since has either shown or been projected as having her charisma and natural talents that can be or are capitalized on with today's celebrity avenues.
                Hart Pro 6.4 (Hammered Chrome), Roland TD-8, Gibraltar Throne w/ Backrest, Tama Iron Cobra Bass Pedal, ALTEC A7-500 "Voice of the Theatre" Speaker/Horn System with Sunn Concert Slave amp and lot of other audio stuff, Sony MDR-7506 Headphones, Zildjian DipSticks - and Czech Skorpian, Heckler & Koch MP5, etc Submachine Guns to stick out the window behind my kit for some quite unique fills...

Comment

Check out Terri Lyne Carrington, Hillary Jones, & Cindy Blackman.

Terri Lyne is amazing!

Comment

Edit: Oops, just saw Drew's post. Guess great minds run in circles or something like that.

I can think of a few off hand: Cindy Blackman, Terri Lyne Carrington, Hilary Jones, Sheila E...
                    Last edited by lopan; 09-21-08, 08:34 PM.
                    TD-20, SPD-S, TAMA '82 Superstars
                    http://www.outawhack.net/drumming ___ http://www.zendaddyband.com ___ http://www.myspace.com/353238983

Comment

Originally posted by Drew Armentrout View Post
                      Check out Terri Lyne Carrington, Hillary Jones, & Cindy Blackman.

Terri Lyne is amazing!
                      Where are the videos?
                      www.oblyvion.com
                      You Tube Scychful

Comment

It would be nice to have a take on this subject from the few girl drummers here on this site.

There are some but apart from SP and 3cup, you dont hear much from the others.

Comment

Originally posted by havyck View Post
                          Where are the videos?
                          I remember the first time I used a search engine...

TLC:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/t...onhancock.html

HJ:

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Hilary_Jones.html

CB:

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers..._Blackman.html

I hear You Tube has a search feature also...
                          Last edited by Guest_User_DA; 09-21-08, 09:25 PM.

Comment

I think the bigger question is why there are not more prominent female musicians in general.

Yes, there are a great many female singers, and they are musicians as well. Also, if you look at a symphony orchestra, females are well-represented there as well.

I think it comes down to drive. I think anyone seeking a career as professional popular musician has to be very driven to gain any measure of notoriety, and females, in general are more level-headed and pragmatic than men when it comes to career choices. They don't seek the adulation of the masses the way men tend to. That's my take on it, anyway.

Comment

Not to forget Karen Teperberg:
                              http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2w...eperberg_music
                              I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                              Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X